Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on safe novice DE events @ VIR, Glen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Opinions on safe novice DE events @ VIR, Glen?

Hi,

I got some good feedback in my other thread about this but I wanted a few more opinions:

I am looking for who runs safe HPDE events where the novice can learn and enjoy. What I value is: lower student group size, enforcment of stated rules--if no passing in straights, and someone does, they really do get flagged, if they never give you a point by when you are right behind them for 2 laps, then flagged, etc.

I'd like to run at VIR and the Glen this year.

So far in terms of specific clubs, I have: NCM, Chin for VIR.
In general I have: NASA, PCA, BMW. Can anybody recommend some specific NASA, BMW, PCA clubs that are known to be good?

What about Ferrari of America? That would be a blast and half.

Thanks for your opinions

Andy
Old 01-16-2007, 01:43 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Watkins Glen has big blue armco all the way around the track. i.e. minimal if any run off run if you go off track.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:55 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car Guys runs very safe schools, but I'm not sure of their schedule this year. They usually have 4 separate run groups, so they aren't overcrowded. ...strict and enforced passing rules.

As far as safe tracks to run...VIR is superb. It's fast, but there's lots of run off room and not too many things to hit.

The Glen however is another story. If you screw up there, you become a pin ball bouncing off the ARMCO. Do not try to be a hero here...drive at no more than 7/10ths of your ability and keep the car, tires and brakes under you the whole time. It's a dangerous place to learn to drive.

And, OBTW, if you do screw up and damage their precious ARMCO, they'll charge you for it!
Old 01-16-2007, 01:56 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes Car Guys is another first class orgainzation
Old 01-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Try SCDA at the Glen.......

www.scda1.com

Old 01-16-2007, 04:55 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default It's not real pretty but ...

Have you considered Summit Point - main course, NASA-MA?
Or, if you're just want to get out and get some seat time, do a Friday At The Track (FATT) at Summit with BSR.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:10 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a member of FCA. The May event at Watkins Glen is open to non-Ferraris and it's a well run event with good novice training. Also, SCDA and PDA run events at the Glen that are really good with lots of instruction for novices.

As noted, the Glen is a rather unforgiving track, not a lot of room for mistakes. That said, if you go out in a novice group with an instructor, and you don't go nuts and try to drive like Michael Schumacher, and instead concentrate on learning the fundamentals and driving the line, you'll have a great time with relatively low risk. In my experience, it's when guys start thinking that they are better drivers than they actually are that they get into trouble on the track, other than when someone dumps oil or coolant (which you don't want to ever experience... ask me how I know).

Have fun, be safe and enjoy.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:34 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

I have been very happy with the structure and organization of both THSCC and PCA Carolinas at VIR. I have run their events elsewhere also and they enforce their rules fairly, run on time and tolerate no BS from anyone, thereby, every one has a good time in a controlled envirenment. Check out the schedules at www.thscc.com or www.carolinas-pca.com.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Probably the best run schools at the Glen are the Genesee Valley Chapter BMW club events. They run 3 two day events at the Glen each year and 1 at Mosport. Another school that is excellent is Phoenix CMR. Their web sites are: http://gvc-bmwcca.org/ just click on Driving Schools for info/On Line application and http://www.phoenixcmr.com/events.htm . You can also try Trackmasters which runs several events each year at the Glen. As a qualified Open Track participant you can get up to 5 hours of track time per day with them https://www.trackmasters.com/Page.asp?Script=1 .

The BMW groups are pretty crowded due to the schools popularity (the Chapter itself has about 1400 members) but the rules are enforced. Phoenix has the best group size and they enforce their rules also (I have witnessed people being told to leave for not obeying the rules).

Bill
Old 01-16-2007, 06:35 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

:fl
Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
I have been very happy with the structure and organization of both THSCC and PCA Carolinas at VIR. I have run their events elsewhere also and they enforce their rules fairly, run on time and tolerate no BS from anyone, thereby, every one has a good time in a controlled envirenment. Check out the schedules at www.thscc.com or www.carolinas-pca.com.
That's what I'm talking about! Thanks for the references guys!

I have tracked as Summit on the main track for 3 FATTs and once with NASA on Jefferson circuit at Summit. I liked both, but I must say the NASA event leaves me with the impression of a safer, better run environment, which is what I have come to appreciate.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:58 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Maineiac
Try SCDA at the Glen.......

www.scda1.com

Another place not to go for all of the same reasons is NHIS (but I like them both alot). Both the Glen and NHIS are a blast but very unforgiving. Don't think that NASCAR "soft" walls are soft. Lime Rock can get you in trouble in a couple of places but in general is safer than the Glen or NHIS.
I think the 7/10 rule is a very good idea there.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The BMW and Porsche clubs are both adopting more of a standardized national approach to things - rules, instructor training etc. I've found both of these clubs to run pretty tight ships. I've also been reasonably pleased with events run by the Mazda and Audi car clubs and have instructed for all 4. To see various events and which chapters of the clubs are hosting at different times, check out www.trackschedule.com. Great resource though listings tend to be a bit localized to east/southeast (though growing)
Old 01-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy: I live just up I-95 near Wilmington, DE and I agree with Chris Ingle the Car Guys is one of the most well run and safety conscience organizations. Car guys runs events at VIR and Summit Piont. Both these tracks are "user firendly" if you use a modest amount of caution and good common sense. In other words, they are good tracks on which to learn the bassics about track driving and get experience going fast. Chris instructs for Car Guys and so do I, but if you could get Chris as an instructor, you would have the best.

Summit Point is only about an hour away from you. Check out the Car Guys events at Summit Point at www.Carguysinc.com or call them at 1-800-800-GUYS. If you go to one of these events, I'll probably see you there.

Jim
Old 01-17-2007, 12:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

95% of it is up to the driver to make it safe not the track.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:54 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jrz1
The BMW and Porsche clubs are both adopting more of a standardized national approach to things - rules, instructor training etc. I've found both of these clubs to run pretty tight ships. I've also been reasonably pleased with events run by the Mazda and Audi car clubs and have instructed for all 4. To see various events and which chapters of the clubs are hosting at different times, check out www.trackschedule.com. Great resource though listings tend to be a bit localized to east/southeast (though growing)
Does anybody have any feedback on the FirstSettlers PCA club events specifically? There are a couple of there events
at convenient times of year for me.

That is one great link--Tom sent me that one too--Thanks Fellas!

John,

I would agree that 95% of the safety is the driver. I would still like to do better events than some I have done. I had one event where the instructor wanted to sign me off after 1 20 minutes session, on a track I had never driven before. I begged him to stay with me, and he did, but only for one more session.

I'm not a great driver (not very athletic with quick hands), I have no need for ego when doing a HPDE. I just want to get better at being smooth and enjoy what the car can do to the extent that I am able.

Last edited by sothpaw2; 01-17-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

come to track days that have a lot of vettes there and listen to what the drivers are saying. You will learn just as much out of your car as you will in it.

Look at this link and see when ECSracing is at an event then hook up with us.

http://www.ecsracing.com/ecsracing/showthread.php?t=56

The more you talk with other vette owners and listen to what they say the better you become. After one day at WGI I bet I knew the track better than most because that night a group of us got together and went over every turn. The next morning I could almost visualize the entire track. Of course I still needed a lot more work to get better at the track...

Old 01-17-2007, 02:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
come to track days that have a lot of vettes there and listen to what the drivers are saying. You will learn just as much out of your car as you will in it.

Look at this link and see when ECSracing is at an event then hook up with us.

http://www.ecsracing.com/ecsracing/showthread.php?t=56

The more you talk with other vette owners and listen to what they say the better you become. After one day at WGI I bet I knew the track better than most because that night a group of us got together and went over every turn. The next morning I could almost visualize the entire track. Of course I still needed a lot more work to get better at the track...

Bob it gets deep at times at the track chats! But it is fun!

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on safe novice DE events @ VIR, Glen?

Old 01-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Bob it gets deep at times at the track chats! But it is fun!
it is almost like fishing stories...
Old 01-17-2007, 03:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
it is almost like fishing stories...
it IS even deeper than the ocean at times. Hey Bob you missed the time I was at Pocono Long course and did a 45 second lap! DEEP!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
it IS even deeper than the ocean at times. Hey Bob you missed the time I was at Pocono Long course and did a 45 second lap! DEEP!

I do find it funny when some of the slower cars come over and give advice. Not that they are not good drivers, but there is a big difference coming into the chicane at WGI around 150-160 mph and coming in with a lotus at 120 mph.

Quick Reply: Opinions on safe novice DE events @ VIR, Glen?