Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure at high oil temps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure at high oil temps?

Yes, I tried doing a search but found nothing worthwhile....

So, for you guys who run your cars hard at the track, (LS6) I'm looking for what kind of oil pressure you have when the oil temps get above 250 degrees for an extended period. What weight oil are you using, and have you tried various brands to see if it made a difference?

Thanks...
Old 01-16-2007, 03:54 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,406 Likes on 753 Posts

Depends on the rpm, but for 250 roughly high 20s, low 30s. Idle (oil temp around 225), down in the 15-20 psi range.

Can't be more specific, I'm rather busy on course and just have time to take a glance.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-16-2007, 04:16 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Too Tall Bob
Yes, I tried doing a search but found nothing worthwhile....

So, for you guys who run your cars hard at the track, (LS6) I'm looking for what kind of oil pressure you have when the oil temps get above 250 degrees for an extended period. What weight oil are you using, and have you tried various brands to see if it made a difference?

Thanks...
I run Royal Purple #21 synthetic racing oil. I I have had no failures and everything looked great on my last teardown on my race motor. I buy it in a 5 gallon bucket and use a pump. I see 40-50 PSI at temps around 250-275 in the C6Z. It is around 30 at idle when it comes off the track maybe a little less..
Old 01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Gary,

Does the LS-7 have higher normal oil pressures than the LS-1/6? Or is your engine modded (nah, wouldn't think of it. ).

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Mike,
Thanks...
On Mobil 1 10w30 at 250 degrees plus, I'm about mid-30's also, and am looking for an average of what everybody else is running at track-temps. Thinking about using Royal Purple 10w-40 instead to see if we can get the psi a little higher.....
Old 01-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,964 Likes on 5,350 Posts

At high rpms on my 03 LS6 I see somewhere in the high 30s to 40. I have the DIC on oil temp so it is hard to know the oil pressure since analog gauges have such poor resolution. I use Mobil 1 5/30 and sometimes higher weight oil if I happen to put some in as my extra quart. I saw about the same on my 97 LS1.

Bill
Old 01-16-2007, 05:17 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Gary,

Does the LS-7 have higher normal oil pressures than the LS-1/6? Or is your engine modded (nah, wouldn't think of it. ).

Have a good one,
Mike
No, I think it is the 8 quart and dry sump that helps, and it rarely gets that hot up here. I think mine is normal, perhaps I have not paid that much attention either. I wish I could download it so I could look at it when I am not so busy so I could give you a better answer. It does almost peg the needle when it is cold, so much so that it makes me nervous, so I baby it until it gets to temp.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:28 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Too Tall Bob
Mike,
Thanks...
On Mobil 1 10w30 at 250 degrees plus, I'm about mid-30's also, and am looking for an average of what everybody else is running at track-temps. Thinking about using Royal Purple 10w-40 instead to see if we can get the psi a little higher.....
Curious, why do you want to get a higher oil pressure reading? If the OP is higher solely due to the higher viscosity, what are you gaining?

No flames, just don't understand.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

If mid-30's is acceptable oil pressure, then I don't have any problem with it, but I was just wanting a little added "cushion" of a couple of psi more if that could be attained with a 40w oil instead of the 10w-30 since the car is strictly a track car now.

I have another car with an engine similar in performance to the LS6 (450 hp+) and the engine builder of that motor had a target of 40+ psi at high temps, so I guess I was just a little concerned with my car only running about mid-30's. I'm just looking to see if others are running about the same psi under the same circumstances....

Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Pre oil cooler addition I ran mid to low 30 lbs pressure at 270-280 degrees in August during a 30 minute run session. I use Mobil 1 5/30. Now after the DRM oil cooler addition I run high 30's pressure at 245 degrees under the same conditions. A cooler is great inexpensive insurance - high temps kill oil and bearings.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure at high oil temps?

Quick Reply: Oil pressure at high oil temps?