Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Front Brakes on the Rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:28 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C5 Front Brakes on the Rear

I have C5 front brakes on all four corners of my road race C5. I was looking for suggestions on what pads work best with this set up. I have tried Carbotech XP10 front and XP8 on the rear but it has too much rear brake effectiveness which wants to destabalize the car. I'd like to soften the rear brake effectiveness a bit. For those with this set up, what pads are working for you?
Thanks
Shirl Dickey
Old 01-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Vetracr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know of anyone running C5 calipers front and rear, too much rear brake. I'd suggest you get an adjustable brake proportioning valve and dial down the rear brake bias. I don't think your answer is in the pads. My $.02.

Larry
Old 01-17-2007, 04:04 PM
jmautox
Instructor

You could also go back to the stock rear brakes, which will reduce total unsprung mass, vehicle mass, and rotating mass, and make the car faster.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pedal must be long with the extra volume of the rear pistons no? I guess you can try and correct brake bias with pads. Only one I ever saw do it was LG running Wilwood SL-6 in front and fronts in rear. He had H compound Wilwood in front and E compound Wilwood in the rear to compensate. Then again he could drive a nail around the track well. Few have tried it but changed back with long pedal issue.

Bias valve would be best. Rear ABS is probably kicking in early no?

I run Wilwood SL-6 in front and SL-4 in rear with 13" rotors both ends. LGM has them.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Highroller
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Pedal must be long with the extra volume of the rear pistons no? I guess you can try and correct brake bias with pads. Only one I ever saw do it was LG running Wilwood SL-6 in front and fronts in rear. He had H compound Wilwood in front and E compound Wilwood in the rear to compensate. Then again he could drive a nail around the track well. Few have tried it but changed back with long pedal issue.

Bias valve would be best. Rear ABS is probably kicking in early no?

I run Wilwood SL-6 in front and SL-4 in rear with 13" rotors both ends. LGM has them.
Are you running these with the 17 and 18 inch wheels and how's the brake pedal travel with this setup
Old 01-17-2007, 04:34 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here we go again with the front brakes on the rear ................

I use them, my pedal is ROCK hard, especially with fresh pads and no taper (tapered brake pads cause low brake pedals). Car stops really well with this set-up and vehicle obviously has more rear brake bias, which in my opinion is a good thing, cars that push on the entry with too much trail-braking make me upset.

I use Hawk DTC-70's on the front and Hawk Ht-10's on the rear and this works really well for me. In fact works well enough that we currently hold two NASA TT records for TTU (Mid-Ohio and Putnam Park). Mid-Ohio record on the club course in TTU is 1:32.5, a record that withstood NASA Nationals that unfortuneatly I was unable to attend to defend the record, or lower it ( I would have lowered it considerably)...

The only time I have a low brake pedal with this set-up is when the pads are destroyed with taper (which happens with these calipers)

I f this pad recommendation doesn't work for you, use Hawk HP plus rears instead of the HT10's
Old 01-17-2007, 04:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Highroller
Are you running these with the 17 and 18 inch wheels and how's the brake pedal travel with this setup
I run them with 17" GS wheels and 18" CCW's setups. Pedal is high and it works great. Piston volume is the same as stock front and rear. Rear setup has same size pads and compound as front but smaller pistons. Rears should last forever or close to that. I guess I gain a little more rear bias with the bigger rotor but it works great. Same pads and rotors front and rear. I can run two piece rotors or run the bargin NAPA rotors! I have Stoptech slotted rotors in front now. Feels good with the slots!

So for less than 3 grand I have nice calipers that I really beat and they last. Less different parts that last longer and are cheaper. Parts and pads are available every where also. Pads swap out in a jiff if you run you car on the street.

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-17-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:43 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Posted by JMAUTOX

"You could also go back to the stock rear brakes, which will reduce total unsprung mass, vehicle mass, and rotating mass, and make the car faster"

I might try that after you beat the NASA TTR track record at PIR (1:04.762) held by this car with these brakes... Forgot to mention, this car also holds the NASA TTR track record at Firebird Main (1:06.415)...

To the other responders, thanks for your input:

BTW, Peddle travel is not a problem and no early ABS... Running on 18X12 CCW wheels and Yokohoma's
Shirl Dickey

Last edited by MrEracer; 01-17-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same set up. For autocrossing I use PF-Z pads up front and stock in the rear.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MrEracer
Posted by JMAUTOX

"You could also go back to the stock rear brakes, which will reduce total unsprung mass, vehicle mass, and rotating mass, and make the car faster"

I might try that after you beat the NASA TTR track record at PIR (1:04.762) held by this car with these brakes...

To the other responders, thanks for your input:

BTW, Peddle travel is not a problem and no early ABS... Running on 18X12 CCW wheels and Yokohoma's
Shirl Dickey

records are made with more than rear brake calipers. RR has more going for himself than that. Others here have tried it and I have heard reports long soft pedals.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Highroller
Burning Brakes

I run them with 17" GS wheels and 18" CCW's setups. Pedal is high and it works great. Piston volume is the same as stock front and rear. Rear setup has same size pads and compound as front but smaller pistons. Rears should last forever or close to that. I guess I gain a little more rear bias with the bigger rotor but it works great. Same pads and rotors front and rear. I can run two piece rotors or run the bargin NAPA rotors! I have Stoptech slotted rotors in front now. Feels good with the slots!

So for less than 3 grand I have nice calipers that I really beat and they last. Less different parts that last longer and are cheaper. Parts and pads are available every where also. Pads swap out in a jiff if you run you car on the street.
If I remember right LG had a big sale on this setup (Lou how about this year) last year about this time, I'm using the stock setup NAPA rotors(03 Z06)and HP+ brakes and in my opinion they are just ok. The problem is the dusting and it's to much work to change back and fourth every weekend on the off chance I'm going to use the car on the street as I do put on a few miles on every now and then, so to sum this up (not looking for another runaway brake post) they will fit under my stock 17 inch wheels?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:58 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Highroller
If I remember right LG had a big sale on this setup (Lou how about this year) last year about this time, I'm using the stock setup NAPA rotors(03 Z06)and HP+ brakes and in my opinion they are just ok. The problem is the dusting and it's to much work to change back and fourth every weekend on the off chance I'm going to use the car on the street as I do put on a few miles on every now and then, so to sum this up (not looking for another runaway brake post) they will fit under my stock 17 inch wheels?
yes
Old 01-17-2007, 05:01 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

If my pedal was soft, I certainly would not be out on the raodcourse with it......I have 3 small children that I havent quite payed for yet..........

Mr Eraser, Bring those beasts to Mid-Ohio this September . How fast is the TTR record against someone such as Thomas Glen who I believe is from your neck of the woods????

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 01-17-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:18 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

RR, Thanks for your input. That is the kind of answer I was looking for and I knew you ran this set up.

As to the track records... There is always someone faster than someone else. I just feel glad to be having fun in some fast company. We plan to have a strong Arizona Corvette contingent at Mid Ohio for the Nationals in September. We will do as well as we can and we have no expectations of beating you or your records...
BTW, I do not know Thomas Glen. Does he drive a Corvette? If he's in Arizona I'd like to invite him to come race with us...
Shirl
Old 01-17-2007, 05:37 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MrEracer
RR, Thanks for your input. That is the kind of answer I was looking for and I knew you ran this set up.

As to the track records... There is always someone faster than someone else. I just feel glad to be having fun in some fast company. We plan to have a strong Arizona Corvette contingent at Mid Ohio for the Nationals in September. We will do as well as we can and we have no expectations of beating you or your records...
BTW, I do not know Thomas Glen. Does he drive a Corvette? If he's in Arizona I'd like to invite him to come race with us...
Shirl

No Mr Eraser he(thomas glen) drives a Viper Comp Coupe in SU, or old VVC.. He is FAST..........I always reference other classes/race groups for real speed.

I am glad you all will be making the pilgrimage to Mid-Ohio this year, the more the merrier........

Question ....Why are you guys running TTR when you can run a 5.5:1 pwr/wght ratio in TTU ?????

I am envious of you guys, being able to race year round

I race for fun too, I do as well as I can and thats all you can do. There is always someone better around or someone with better equipment.....I have rowed that boat before. Didn't mean to get you excited ( or maybe I did ) , bring all of those Corvettes to Mid-Ohio , we'll have a Corvette Club Meeting @ the NASA Nationals
Old 01-17-2007, 06:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

not racing all year makes it more affordable.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:28 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

not racing all year makes it more affordable.
So true...............

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Front Brakes on the Rear

Old 01-18-2007, 12:59 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

RR,
No problem, you did not get me excited. I'm used to it around here where the 'shots' fly everywhere, all in fun... We have a great Corvette comaraderie here in Arizona.
We are looking forward to Mid-Ohio. I have never driven that track so it will be a learning experience for me. I would love to get the AZ Vettes together with you guys from the Mid-West for a 'confab' at the Nationals.
If you're ever out West again, let me know and I would be happy to give you a turn in my car. My best at Willow Springs is 1:29.7. I would love to see what you could do with the car... For more info about me/car see my response to LG in my other post in this forum. Check our racing schedule at <redracervette.com>... Fly out some time if you get tired of the winter, I'll put you up...
Stay in touch.
Shirl
Old 01-18-2007, 07:07 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
If my pedal was soft, I certainly would not be out on the raodcourse with it......I have 3 small children that I havent quite payed for yet..........

Thats Funny Danny, SO true!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:10 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

I try to be entertaining as much as I can.......... The other one that makes them all smile is when I tell them I was probably concieved in or on a Corvette (this couldbe true, but creates troubling mental pictures and is highly unlikely out of my parents)

Quick Reply: C5 Front Brakes on the Rear