Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polyurethane bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 06:49 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polyurethane bushing?

Since I am changing out my front spring with a VB&P adjustable front spring, larger sway bars, replacing the ball joints is it worth the effort and expense to change over to polyurethane bushings in the A arms? I use the car for a DD in the summer and auto x. I am also hoping to do some track days also. The car is a 96.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:03 AM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

I'd say definitely so, especially given the age of your car. By now even a well-maintained 96 is going to show hardening/cracking of the a-arm bushings and with any serious autox time those bushings will start to fail (I have an LT4 so I speak from experience). The spring change will take you out of any stock class anyway, so you might as well tighten up the rest of the suspension while you're at it - and the bushings aren't really that expensive.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm putting stiffer springs from VBP into a 91 for autocrossing and I'm going to change bushings too. I'm probably going to use Delrin , if I can find them to fit C4s, instead of poly though (unless I read that poly bushings really last in autocross cars).

Last edited by Barbara_S; 01-21-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:49 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbara_S
I'm putting stiffer springs from VBP into a 91 for autocrossing and I'm going to change bushings too. I'm probably going to use Delrin , if I can find them to fit C4s, instead of poly though (unless I read that poly bushings really last in autocross cars).

The VBP poly bushings will far outlast the rest of your suspension components in a autox enironment..........I have used poly in all of my cars and have not replaced any of them (and I still have them all). I believe the Delrin bsuhings will be more prone to wear than the poly, even though they are harder...........
Old 01-21-2007, 04:36 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
The VBP poly bushings will far outlast the rest of your suspension components in a autox enironment..........I have used poly in all of my cars and have not replaced any of them (and I still have them all). I believe the Delrin bsuhings will be more prone to wear than the poly, even though they are harder...........
What's the install like on the VBP polys?
Old 01-21-2007, 05:14 PM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rhneff
I'd say definitely so, especially given the age of your car. By now even a well-maintained 96 is going to show hardening/cracking of the a-arm bushings and with any serious autox time those bushings will start to fail (I have an LT4 so I speak from experience). The spring change will take you out of any stock class anyway, so you might as well tighten up the rest of the suspension while you're at it - and the bushings aren't really that expensive.
I already got moved to BSP because of the wheels. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I had read some older web posts talking about grease not sticking to poly bushings so I was just hoping someone would confirm they are ok.
-thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 10:06 PM
corvted
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
What's the install like on the VBP polys?
I don't know on a C5 but I just did mine on my C4. It really is not that bad at all. The hardest part was removing the old bushing but it gets easy after the first one. VBP also post the instructions on there website which is Kool. There very informative when you call them direct to. But beware once you start you might fine yourself going through other changes while your there. Happen to me. But she is real tight now. Looking forward for the season to start here.

Get notified of new replies

To Polyurethane bushing?

Quick Reply: Polyurethane bushing?