Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier Compounds for Track Days, R vs. A?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 07:56 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Default Hoosier Compounds for Track Days, R vs. A?

I have been running used R compound Hoosiers for the last couple of years with great success. The events I attend usually run 20-30 minute sessions. I have a line on some A6 compound tires but I don’t know how they will hold up on 2.5-3.5 mile tracks for 10-15 laps per session.
I know the A6’s are designed and sold for use in autocross events where the typical run is less than 2 miles and 2-3 minutes. I expect the A’s will wear faster than the R’s but does anyone have experience with them on a road course like I am talking about? What can I expect, ¾, ½, ¼ the life of R’s, or will they just self destruct in one or two sessions?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

No direct experience. Autocross courses are typically less than a mile (much less in some locales) and range from 30-60 seconds. An autocross compound is designed to run (grip) at far cooler temps than a track compound.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

A's won't last more that a couple of laps on a road course, they are designed to run, with no warm up, on parking lots and for a lap on short road courses.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:15 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
A's won't last more that a couple of laps on a road course, they are designed to run, with no warm up, on parking lots and for a lap on short road courses.
I respectfully disagree. We run A compound Hoosiers in SCCA T1 racing. However, for DEs get the R compound if you have the choice and are buying new.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
I respectfully disagree. We run A compound Hoosiers in SCCA T1 racing. However, for DEs get the R compound if you have the choice and are buying new.
you have more expertise than I if your running T1 SCCA, I just do DE's and track events.

Just courious though...how long do A's last on a road course...say Barber Park or Heartland Park? Do you just use them for qualifying or do they last for a full sprint race?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:35 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Remember I race a Viper, so your experience may be different...

I ran the last race (Run Offs) on one heat cycle tires (from the morning warm-up...maybe three laps). I haven't really looked the tires over, but they still are holding air...

I would do a practice session on them at a track that wasn't too rough on tires. Likely Memphis in March. HPT is rough on tires, especially with a 3700 lbs car.

The A's last surprising long. But for DEs you don't want them unless you can buy used ones cheap. If buying new (and why would you do that?) then buy the Rs.

Have fun.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:58 AM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

I have no personal experience with the R's, but can tell you A's are surprisingly resilient on a road course. Last set I pulled off my Z06 had 40 autocross runs on them before I ran 7 - 20 minute sessions at Motor Sports Ranch in Cresson, Texas (on the original 1.7 mile course). Car was being pushed pretty hard throughout and it wasn't until after the last session that the outside front tire started to show just a trace of cord on the outer edge. I really didn't expect that kind of wear from an autocross tire, and the car was glued to the track right to the end. Impressive, to say the least.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:27 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

One thing: the Hoosier guys don't like to consider the "A" compound an "autocross" tire. I know it sounds funny, using the A & R nomenclature and not wanting people to think that's its designated purpose. But the guys at the track tell me thsi everytime I bring it up.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:38 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

One thing: the Hoosier guys don't like to consider the "A" compound an "autocross" tire. I know it sounds funny, using the A & R nomenclature and not wanting people to think that's its designated purpose. But the guys at the track tell me thsi everytime I bring it up.
Especially on a day that is on the chilly side, the A will work well.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:46 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Make sure you have significant negative camber (2 degrees or more in front) if you get the A's for the track.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:27 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have experience with both, and I understand the T1 guys have been using the "A" compounded tires. I have run "A" compounded tires at some NASA TT events last year, only to have them go away after about 5-6 hard ( and I do mean hard ) laps. They were ultimately faster by a little bit at the time in comparison to others ( not the R6), including the Kumho710 (.1-.2 seconds). Later in the year when it was cooler , I ran the R6 at Putnam and was faster on the R6 than the 710, and the tire would tolerate my driving for a whole session without the times dropping off,or feeling "greasy". I will do a comparo between the A6 and the R6 although I already think I know how it will turn out. I can't see how the A6 can survive a 30min race without going away unless they are in tire conservation mode................It took the A6 a while to recover , and then it still wasn't as fast as it was earlier in the sesssion. At the start of a new session on the same A6 tires , they were still fast at the beginning and trailed off the longer you drove the car hard. They were never as fast again until they were back near ambient temperature.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Wern't a few guys using new "A" tires for qualifing laps and the "R" tires for the race?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:06 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Danny,

Trust me, the A's last for the entire race. At the Run Offs my fastest lap was #11; Lance's was 16th, and JH's was 13th. All on Hoosier A's.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Race Prepared
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Remember I race a Viper, so your experience may be different...

I ran the last race (Run Offs) on one heat cycle tires (from the morning warm-up...maybe three laps). I haven't really looked the tires over, but they still are holding air...

I would do a practice session on them at a track that wasn't too rough on tires. Likely Memphis in March. HPT is rough on tires, especially with a 3700 lbs car.

The A's last surprising long. But for DEs you don't want them unless you can buy used ones cheap. If buying new (and why would you do that?) then buy the Rs.

Have fun.
Did you ever try the VLR Hoosiers on your Viper. I run the 305s all the way around on my 89 Vette (OEM 18" z06 wheels) and they work great for track days or autocross.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:14 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Wern't a few guys using new "A" tires for qualifing laps and the "R" tires for the race?

This is true, but none were in corvettes or vipers. At Topeka the guys in the Subarus ended up running Goodyears and I believe some of the Cobalts and F-bodies ran Hoosier R's, but these cars are VERY hard on tires for a full race. I have never seen a Vette on R's at a T1 race, it would be interesting to see based on Danny's experience what would happen.

Joe
Old 01-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
...I have never seen a Vette on R's at a T1 race, it would be interesting to see based on Danny's experience what would happen.

Joe

Racing is racing and if .2/lap is gained by a stickier tire then that's what racers do...racers have much bigger pockets than us guys running 4-5 track events/year.

So the answer to the guy wanting track tires for events or DE's it's the R's hands down.

When you pony up to be a pro racer (and yes IMHO SCCA is pro racing without any cash rewards) you have the funds to get 2 sets/race or more.

I'm looking at getting about 4 events from a set of track tires...glad to know I was wrong about the A's lasting for road courses, although I would be leary about buying used ones.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:14 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
Racing is racing and if .2/lap is gained by a stickier tire then that's what racers do...racers have much bigger pockets than us guys running 4-5 track events/year.

So the answer to the guy wanting track tires for events or DE's it's the R's hands down.

When you pony up to be a pro racer (and yes IMHO SCCA is pro racing without any cash rewards) you have the funds to get 2 sets/race or more.

I'm looking at getting about 4 events from a set of track tires...glad to know I was wrong about the A's lasting for road courses, although I would be leary about buying used ones.
Your talking to the wrong guy when talking about big pockets!!! I race on used tires 80% of the time or I wouldn't be able to race. And yes, some of them have been used A's! As far as DE's are concerned, at the rate most racers sell their tires I think every guy that does DE's now should just ante up for cheap used hoops. About $300 per set then run them till they cord, no matter what brand they are. IMHO of course!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:43 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hoosier VRLs are very very hard compounds. Same as the Grand AM DP spec compound,only with stiffer side walls.

The VRLs & Grand Am Cup tires are endurnace race tires, not sprint tires.

The A and R compounds are softer and have much more grip then the VRLs or Cup tires, or so that is what the good folks at Hooser mentioned to me.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Hoosier VRLs are very very hard compounds. Same as the Grand AM DP spec compound,only with stiffer side walls.

The VRLs & Grand Am Cup tires are endurnace race tires, not sprint tires.

The A and R compounds are softer and have much more grip then the VRLs or Cup tires, or so that is what the good folks at Hooser mentioned to me.
I frequently use the VRL's for track days. I agree that they are reasonably fast tire and they last much longer than the A and R Hoosier/Kumho V710 tires. Bought as scrubs you can go pretty quick for several track days....

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier Compounds for Track Days, R vs. A?

Quick Reply: Hoosier Compounds for Track Days, R vs. A?