Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 alignment Q's.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default C4 alignment Q's.

I've searched and haven't found anything definitive for a C4.

'95 coupe with the FE1 (soft) suspension, C5 brakes and GS wheels. The car pulls left right now, so I need an alignment. If I'm having it done, I might as well have a custom alignment done.

I'm looking for a good streetable autoX/HDPE alignment. Something between "full track" and the tire-friendly OEM setup. I've seen people recommending 1.5 degree negative camber front, 1 degree rear. What about toe and caster?

Old 01-21-2007, 09:04 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This link: http://www.vbandp.com/instructions/h...ruct/align.htm had been posted before. I use the "Advanced Street" settings on my 87 for autocross and occasional track days. I have 275/40-17's on the car and it is not "darty" at all for normal street use.

I noticed an immediate improvement at the first autocross after getting the car aligned with these specs. I have not seen any sort of abnormal tire wear even with changing tire pressures for autocross and track days.

I run Hoosier A3S05's for autocross and Kumho Ecsta MX's for summer street use and track days. I do play with tire pressures but for street use, 35psi is the base pressure I run.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

These numbers seem VERY low in terms of camber. ANybody else have advice? Car goes in tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:17 PM
90Z51
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had mine aligned at a local shop that's really into racing. I actually got to help the alignment tech with it and we discussed the purpose of the car before we got started. I autocross a lot during the summer and daily drive the car. I told him that I don't mind buying tires every 16 months. So we went with -1.5 degrees of camber on all 4 wheels, 7 degrees of caster, and I forget the toe specs, but it was just slightly in on the front, and i think no toe on the back.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Dial in as much negative camber as possible. Consider yourself lucky if you can get -1.5. The most I could get in my left front(without any machined spacers) was -.8. After installing offset lower control arm bushings, I was able to get to -2.2 on that wheel. Rear camber about .5 less than what you have in front.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:20 PM
90Z51
Racer

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Dial in as much negative camber as possible. Consider yourself lucky if you can get -1.5. The most I could get in my left front(without any machined spacers) was -.8. After installing offset lower control arm bushings, I was able to get to -2.2 on that wheel. Rear camber about .5 less than what you have in front.
It was my left front that limited camber too. Are all C4's like that?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:31 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Learn to set the toe setting yourself, real easy just two wrenches.

Have it set to zero toe for the street, and toe it out for the track.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 90Z51
It was my left front that limited camber too. Are all C4's like that?
Yes, they are, the ten of them that I had all had about .4 degrees difference between the left front and the right front. The left was usually about -.8 degrees and the right was generally around -1.2 degrees. The difference is in the frame tooling...
Old 01-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Sidney004

Sounds good- I'll tell him that.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

I used the VBP Advanced Street last year in HPDE and on the road. There was no abnormal wear. I'm going to use the Autocross setting from now on, track and street. If you have have your tire pressure off even a little there will be abnormal wear quickly at the track.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:32 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Umrswimr
I've searched and haven't found anything definitive for a C4.

'95 coupe with the FE1 (soft) suspension, C5 brakes and GS wheels. The car pulls left right now, so I need an alignment. If I'm having it done, I might as well have a custom alignment done.

I'm looking for a good streetable autoX/HDPE alignment. Something between "full track" and the tire-friendly OEM setup. I've seen people recommending 1.5 degree negative camber front, 1 degree rear. What about toe and caster?

It's nearly impossible to get enough neg camber in a C4, we shimmed the K membesrs in, flipped the oval washers, you just can't get enough.
E
Old 01-23-2007, 02:10 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Umrswimr
Out of curiosity, what did your final alignment numbers turn out to be?

Get notified of new replies

To C4 alignment Q's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 alignment Q's.