Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever put longer lug studs or front axle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:09 PM
BlueThunderousZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever put longer lug studs or front axle?

I'm putting 305 hoosiers on the front of my 2003 Z06 for use at the track. I also have DRP brake ducts and I need to use a 3/8" spacer for more clearance. I need to replace the stock lugs studs with longer ones.

Has anyone ever changed theirs? Where is the best place to get the lug studs and lug nuts?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueThunderousZ06
I'm putting 305 hoosiers on the front of my 2003 Z06 for use at the track. I also have DRP brake ducts and I need to use a 3/8" spacer for more clearance. I need to replace the stock lugs studs with longer ones.

Has anyone ever changed theirs? Where is the best place to get the lug studs and lug nuts?
Jeg's-Summit etc.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:27 AM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

DRM has them also. I think I have a link to a few titanium stud places if you want those, let me know and I will look for them
Old 01-22-2007, 12:30 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Got mine from DRM they have spacers also.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:33 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

got my studs from DRM and spacers from CCW
Old 01-22-2007, 07:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Got my studs from Summit and open ended lug nuts from NAPA.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Got mine at Summit - they cost about $10.00 for a set of 5 + postage if I remember correctly. I got the ARP high strength studs. The ARP standard stud is about 1/2 inch longer than stock and they make one that is longer than that. You will need open end lug nuts, the stock acorn nuts will not work - the stud will bottom out before tightening fully. Get them at Napa or any auto parts store 12MM X 1.50 with a 60degree taper on the end. The parts guy can pick them out for you, take one of your new studs to double check the size.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:39 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

22551491 at your GM dealer.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:18 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

got mine from drm and gm either set works good,,the gm set has a non threaded end,,makes it easier to get the lug nut started...
Johnny
Old 01-22-2007, 11:15 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racerwannabe
got mine from drm and gm either set works good,,the gm set has a non threaded end,,makes it easier to get the lug nut started...
Johnny
I would not advise getting the GM wheel studs - they don't last!!! The GM wheels studs I got lasted about 1 year before they started snapping off . I replaced all of them with the ARP wheel studs from Summit and have had no issues with them at all - they have been bulletproof.

If you have those GM studs, I'd start carrying some spares with you and learn how to replace them at the track. I will never use them again.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:34 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I would not advise getting the GM wheel studs - they don't last!!! The GM wheels studs I got lasted about 1 year before they started snapping off . I replaced all of them with the ARP wheel studs from Summit and have had no issues with them at all - they have been bulletproof.

If you have those GM studs, I'd start carrying some spares with you and learn how to replace them at the track. I will never use them again.
GM studs have been in my '03 car since '03.....no problems, have some in cars for longer than that......I have however seen them break as well as others, generally when someone is wrecklessly installing wheels on really hot wheel studs and crashing the wheel weight on studs to align to the bolts......not a good idea. Have also seen the GM studs break when over torqued when really hot........I use no more than 85 ft-lbs on my wheels, do change wheels when hot and use 3/8 imapct gun to install. In fact my original wheel studs have been through two additional sets of wheel bearings.

Always a good idea to carry spare wheel studs no matter what kind of studs you are using

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever put longer lug studs or front axle?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever put longer lug studs or front axle?