Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Jefferson City @ Summit Point WVA? Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:43 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Opinions on Jefferson City @ Summit Point WVA? Safe?

There are a couple of events at the Jefferson City circuit at Summit Point in WVA that interest me (primarily because they're offered in Spring (soon) and are only 1 day so easier for me).

? What do you guys think of this track? (I value good runoff, well placed flag stations, no NASCAR banking for safety) I ran there once in the late '90s and I remember there being a 180 hairpin that had no runoff, there were bleachers there. Otherwise, there was runoff.

I realize that Summit Main is better--I will try that too--just wanted feedback (more--Thanks Tom) on Jefferson.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2007, 10:04 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jefferson is technical; the apexes aren't necessarily where you expect them to be. Even instructors argue about how to take the last turn--the 180 you're probably referring to (which is not quite a hairpin). One apex or two?

It's fairly tight, like the main, but not as tight as Shenandoah.

Not a lot of run off. But some. The worker stations are well placed. No banking.

You wouldn't want to spend the rest of your HPDEs at Jefferson, but for an occasional outing it's just fine. Enjoy.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:17 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
There are a couple of events at the Jefferson City circuit at Summit Point in WVA that interest me (primarily because they're offered in Spring (soon) and are only 1 day so easier for me).

? What do you guys think of this track? (I value good runoff, well placed flag stations, no NASCAR banking for safety) I ran there once in the late '90s and I remember there being a 180 hairpin that had no runoff, there were bleachers there. Otherwise, there was runoff.

I realize that Summit Main is better--I will try that too--just wanted feedback (more--Thanks Tom) on Jefferson.

Thanks
There are a few spots with not much runoff, but it is a slower track so generally speaking you won't be going fast enough for it to be a huge issue unless you do something monumentally stupid. (Like mistake the gas pedal for the brake pedal-it's been done on that circuit with bad results.)
Guess it depends what you mean by safe as well. Watkins Glen is probably considered very safe because of the blue monster all the way around (which does a nice job of keeping you out of the trees) but it probably eats a lot of cars because of very little runoff room...
Old 01-22-2007, 11:38 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MattW_VA
There are a few spots with not much runoff, but it is a slower track so generally speaking you won't be going fast enough for it to be a huge issue unless you do something monumentally stupid. (Like mistake the gas pedal for the brake pedal-it's been done on that circuit with bad results.)
Guess it depends what you mean by safe as well. Watkins Glen is probably considered very safe because of the blue monster all the way around (which does a nice job of keeping you out of the trees) but it probably eats a lot of cars because of very little runoff room...
Would you consider the run-off situation better at Jefferson?

I really want to do the Glen but that is what I mean by "unsafe"--very little runoff is unsafe for my wallet!! I do not want to trash this car (new to me C5Z) so I am looking for the best events & tracks where I can appreciate the handling but minimize my risk.

Mistaking the gas for the brake--I will accept that if I do that, or if I accidently downshift to 1st, that I might buy it on any track. You just can't afford to do certain mistakes and I never had any issues with that with my C4.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-22-2007, 11:55 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

There's more run off at Jefferson than at WG.

And as noted, it's not a fast track at all.

You'll have no issues there. Quite safe.

Cheers.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pocono is probably your best option if you want safe run-off. The infield courses are exactly that, in the middle of a field. I have done most every course from Virginia to CT (east) and feel that Pocono is one of the safest. Obviously there are walls, but you are accelerating through them vs approaching them at high speed like a hairpin on a road course. Also, the course is as wide as the NJ turnike both sides combined (almost).

The Glen is not that bad, just keep it at 8/10th's and you'll be fine. I have never been on a road course when I thought every corner was 100% safe, I would imagine a nice F1 course would be just this, especially for our heavy slow cars.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:18 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Pocono is probably your best option if you want safe run-off. The infield courses are exactly that, in the middle of a field. I have done most every course from Virginia to CT (east) and feel that Pocono is one of the safest. Obviously there are walls, but you are accelerating through them vs approaching them at high speed like a hairpin on a road course. Also, the course is as wide as the NJ turnike both sides combined (almost).

The Glen is not that bad, just keep it at 8/10th's and you'll be fine. I have never been on a road course when I thought every corner was 100% safe, I would imagine a nice F1 course would be just this, especially for our heavy slow cars.
I agree completely about Pocano infield--I loved it! But the Nascar banked turns that were not part of the infield are IMHO to blame for my C4's engine demise. Lack of oil killed the cam gear (and also because that gear is not hardened properly--POS).

I would like to avoid any big Nascar turns with the C5. The thing only has 15k mi--I paid more to keep it out of the shop.

Any events you know where I can run Pocano infield and see no Nascar banking at all? Clubs you like up there? I see the PDA for Pocano.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:28 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point is a fun little track. It is not really fast - 115 or so max with a stock car. There is plenty of run off on most turns and it is fun running it in either direction. As one of the other posters said - unless you do something really stupid, you will not bend or break your car. Enjoy - what events are you thinking about ? I might be there also. Summit is my home track.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:37 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
The Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point is a fun little track. It is not really fast - 115 or so max with a stock car. There is plenty of run off on most turns and it is fun running it in either direction. As one of the other posters said - unless you do something really stupid, you will not bend or break your car. Enjoy - what events are you thinking about ? I might be there also. Summit is my home track.
There's a couple with the Northern Virginia Corvette Club. The 3/24 event looks pretty safe, says low speed (under 80 mph) instructional event.

But my wife shot me down on that date. Also the 3/31-4/1 NASA event at VIR. Tough finding something that fits cough <our> cough schedule, but also at a good track and given by a safety conscious group.

How do you like Shenandoh? There is a Car Guys event in late May there. That works with <our> schedule. I would like to run with Car Guys--I bet they'd teach a lot in 2 days.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on Jefferson City @ Summit Point WVA? Safe?

Quick Reply: Opinions on Jefferson City @ Summit Point WVA? Safe?