Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall guys seat mods for hpde?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:50 AM
george watson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tall guys seat mods for hpde?

Us tall guys have headroom issues when we track our car. What modifications to lower the seat has anyone else done? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:55 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by george watson
Us tall guys have headroom issues when we track our car. What modifications to lower the seat has anyone else done? Thanks.
I'm 6'4" and drive a C4 so I feel your pain. What I did was remove the driver's seat and took out the power seat rail.

Then I modified the seat pan so it was flat and mounted the rear of it right to the floor using the original rear studs. I fab'd up a 3" riser using the front studs to give the seat some angle. The car is harder to get in & out of for me but I now have clearance for me and my helmeted noggin (with a thin lexan roof panel).

If you like I can get some pics and post.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:58 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I'm a little over 6' 3" myself, but if you want to do this right, my best recommendation is to get a nice racing seat and use the Hardbar Aluminum Seat rails.

I have a Cobra Suzuka and Gary's (Hardbar) aluminum mounts. They are basically infinitely adjustable, but once you get the seat where you need it, it's solid as a rock and you'll have plenty of head room. The bottom of my seat is no more than about 1/4" off the floor and is very, very comfortable.

You can still use the stock belts and such with some small mods to the female portion of the belt - it just needs to extend up high enough to use the stock belt.

If you don't care about the stock belts, then just get a good set of racing harnesses, strap the helmet on and enjoy the ride!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:01 PM
RAFTeRACER
Instructor

I am only 6' 0'' with a C-4. I went with a Sparco on the thinnest sliders available, still not 100% comfortable... Luckily the C-4 has a steel floor pan and is easily adjustable with a BFH!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:03 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RAFTeRACER
... is easily adjustable with a BFH!
Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:06 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

and i ride with my head against the ceiling
Old 01-23-2007, 04:07 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

but i'm not 6' 0"
Old 01-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by racerwannabe
and i ride with my head against the ceiling
Same here! I'm 6'3", with a helmet on it hits the roof. Witch ironicly, I like. Some helmet contact on the roof, holds me in the seat better. I really want to get some Corbeau seats. (lighter, better hold, lower seat bracket for head room)
Old 01-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Westwopper
Racer

[QUOTE=wtknght1;1558639323]I'm a little over 6' 3" myself, but if you want to do this right, my best recommendation is to get a nice racing seat and use the Hardbar Aluminum Seat rails.

I have Gary's (Hardbar) aluminum mounts. They are basically infinitely adjustable, but once you get the seat where you need it, it's solid as a rock and you'll have plenty of head room. The bottom of my seat is no more than about 1/4" off the floor and is very, very comfortable. QUOTE]

Get the shelving paper that you use in your tool box and put 1.5' by 1.5' piece on your seat and a small piece on your helmet (tape the edges) if you hit the track before you get your seat swapped out. This
will keep you from sliding in your seat and your ears from getting annoyed with the cracking sound of your roof.

I'm 6'2 and my helmet bounces off my top with the stock seat. I just got a Kirkey Superspeedway Deluxe and Hardbar Seat rails. It looks like I will have plenty of room with the install. I will post pics next week. I've been traveling a lot with work and have been pushing back the remaining 2 hours of work I need to complete this job.

Last edited by Westwopper; 01-23-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Hmmm...tall guys driving Corvettes,eh? Not sure that I know of anyone like that! Let me think about that one for awhile....
Old 01-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Tall Bob
Hmmm...tall guys driving Corvettes,eh? Not sure that I know of anyone like that! Let me think about that one for awhile....

Yeah, you only pick on the under 4-foot tall crowd at the track as this picture can attest.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Gee, which one is Too Tall Bob? The height is great for the NBA, but a bummer for race cars. Our seat rails were designed for all sizes of people, and allow the seat to sit on the floor, or several inches above, whatever you need. In addition, the lap and sub belts mount on this super stout, but lightweight system so that you can go from street seats to race seats in a few minutes, and is 100% bolt-in. You will not find a better seat mount system anywhere, and now you can get them in red, black, gold, green, or blue anodizing for $30 extra. I am very honored to have supplied this system for the Champs at the Runoffs and Solo Nationals. They are available from Phoenix, Vetteworks, DRM, MTI (Atlanta), and MSI (Sacramento) and of course, Hardbar.
Thanks!
Gary Hoffman
Hardbarusa.com
603-682-8073

Old 01-24-2007, 10:28 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

To be honest, I was amazed at how much better Gary's mounts were than using the stock GM slider seat mounts. My first few years of racing, I took a Cobra seat and modified the stock Z06 power seat mounts (w/small metal brackets). It worked well - and allowed me to move the seat in all the directions needed...but it was HEAVY!!!!

I then decided to buy a passenger side slider rail mount, modify it slightly, and use that...mostly to save weight.

Finally, I got Gary's seat rails...man, what a difference!! With the stock seat mounts, you just feel like the seat is moving on you a bit...even wrenching the belts down ultra tight. With his aluminum mounts, you just don't have that problem - solid as a rock, and very, very light!! Great stuff Mr. Hoffman!!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For tall guys (I'm 6' 41/2"), what is the best seat to use with the Hardbar seat mounts: Sparco Evo L or Sparco Roadster? Or perhaps another seat ...?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I am 6-2 and use an Ultra-Shield Deluxe Road Race seat. It is an alumum seat with very good rib and thigh bolsters. I have it mounted to Hard Bar rails.

It sits about 1" off the floor board so I have lots of head room. They come in 1/2" increments from 14" to 18" wide

Old 01-24-2007, 03:29 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

In addition to the NASCAR style seats from Kirkey, Butlerbuilt, Ultra-Shield, the most popular Sparco seats are the Evo, Evo2, Pro2000. Here is the red anodized set that is being shipped to Vetteworks. Call them if you want it!

Last edited by ghoffman; 01-24-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:10 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Silverton
For tall guys (I'm 6' 41/2"), what is the best seat to use with the Hardbar seat mounts: Sparco Evo L or Sparco Roadster? Or perhaps another seat ...?
What's your budget?? I had great luck with the Cobra seat, so I upgraded to a Suzuka (or the GT version if you're BIG and tall). Joe and the Phoenix guys use these seats a lot with Gary's rails and they are super comfortable and meet the high FIA standards. It was very easy to install too!

If money is no object, you can go to a full Carbon Fiber number - $$$$$

Get notified of new replies

To Tall guys seat mods for hpde?

Old 01-24-2007, 06:46 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Too Tall Bob

Yeh, but a foam pad does't count as a seat!!

Ed
Old 01-25-2007, 01:48 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Same here! I'm 6'3", with a helmet on it hits the roof. Witch ironicly, I like. Some helmet contact on the roof, holds me in the seat better. I really want to get some Corbeau seats. (lighter, better hold, lower seat bracket for head room)
I'd reccommend having your head below the roll bar, even the factory roll bar

I'm 6' with a very long torso, and long arms w hairy knuckles that drag on the ground.

I used a Kirky Intermediate roadrace seat with stck Kirky seat mounts but test fit and drilled the rails where I wanted them.

E

why isn't my pic showing up?

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2536...50964049egwPcd

Last edited by DREGSZ; 01-25-2007 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:49 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ghoffman
In addition to the NASCAR style seats from Kirkey, Butlerbuilt, Ultra-Shield, the most popular Sparco seats are the Evo, Evo2, Pro2000. Here is the red anodized set that is being shipped to Vetteworks. Call them if you want it!

Those seat rails are INSANE!!!

Last edited by DREGSZ; 01-25-2007 at 01:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Tall guys seat mods for hpde?