Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 lap belt system, what to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:53 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default c5 lap belt system, what to use?

I was thinking of a lap belt setup for autox. I had a 5 point - harness bar set up in my c4 & I don't think the shoulder straps are needed for autox.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:34 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhat off topic, but from what I have heard from people is that really being strapped in with harnesses allows you to not steady yourself with the steering while and thus be much lighter and smoother with your inputs as you aren't keeping yourself from moving with the wheel as well.

This is why I am switching up to full harnesses for auto-x. I am sure you already have your opinion, I just wanted to bring light to this incase you hadn't thought of it.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if that's all you're going to do, keep the stock belts and just pull it all the way out and let it lock back in.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancer033
if that's all you're going to do, keep the stock belts and just pull it all the way out and let it lock back in.

The C5 has a cinch mode for its belts just as the C4s had. The C5 mode is activated by pulling the belt all the way out Vs the push button on the C4 belts. Best way to get tight in the seat is to run the seat all the way back, pull the belt all the way out and fasten it and then use your hand to guide it in as far as it will go. Then run the seat forward as far as possible. If it feels like the lap belt is going to cut you in half it is just about tight enough. When you let the clutch out to start the shoulder belt will also latch tight and you will be held in. My belts on both my 97 and 03 got tight enough that I had trouble breathing after running a long and demanding course. A 6 point harness does not offer much better restraint since without a good seat you are still using your legs to brace your lower body which translates into upper body movement even with the additional belt going over the right shoulder. Just remember to wear long pants since the left shin gets pressed against the left door speaker grill and after a couple of runs the cheese grater surface starts to abrade the skin.

Bill
Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
Somewhat off topic, but from what I have heard from people is that really being strapped in with harnesses allows you to not steady yourself with the steering while and thus be much lighter and smoother with your inputs as you aren't keeping yourself from moving with the wheel as well.

This is why I am switching up to full harnesses for auto-x. I am sure you already have your opinion, I just wanted to bring light to this incase you hadn't thought of it.

Good luck!

Sometimes its too much of a good thing. In the higher levels of autox you need some free shoulder movement to cut the wheel fast l/r l/r etc.

In road race the extreme fast action & severe steering wheel movements do not happen.

When I compete with the 5 point I always left the shoulders full loose to allow movement.

You should try it for yourself. Do a few autox runs strapped in really tight & then loosen the shoulders & compare.

Also try & find out how many national champion guys/gals use shoulder belts & let us know.

A lot also depends on the seat & it's bolsters (or lack of bolsters).

My c4 sport seats really hugged me, the c5 z06 ones much less so.

MHO
Old 01-24-2007, 07:12 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

The C5 has a cinch mode for its belts just as the C4s had. The C5 mode is activated by pulling the belt all the way out Vs the push button on the C4 belts. Best way to get tight in the seat is to run the seat all the way back, pull the belt all the way out and fasten it and then use your hand to guide it in as far as it will go. Then run the seat forward as far as possible. If it feels like the lap belt is going to cut you in half it is just about tight enough. When you let the clutch out to start the shoulder belt will also latch tight and you will be held in. My belts on both my 97 and 03 got tight enough that I had trouble breathing after running a long and demanding course. A 6 point harness does not offer much better restraint since without a good seat you are still using your legs to brace your lower body which translates into upper body movement even with the additional belt going over the right shoulder. Just remember to wear long pants since the left shin gets pressed against the left door speaker grill and after a couple of runs the cheese grater surface starts to abrade the skin.

Bill
I've used the cinch of course, I am just thinking a thicker 3" belt will be better than the thin 1.75 (or whatever it is).

It (thicker-wider) should be both more comfortable and hold you in the seat better.

I use a knee pad thing on the left knee for the grater.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:09 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bob, congrats on the championship. Get the B-K lap belt mounts. After using a 3 inch belt I went to a 2 inch. Alot more comfortable and you can actually get it tighter. I agree on lap belt only for autocross. You can get a 2 inch latch and link from Wesco Performance. http://store.yahoo.net/wescoperformance/index.html

EDIT: I have a G Force 3 inch latch and link lap belt you can have if you want it.

Last edited by 7Bob3; 01-24-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:07 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I've used the cinch of course, I am just thinking a thicker 3" belt will be better than the thin 1.75 (or whatever it is).

It (thicker-wider) should be both more comfortable and hold you in the seat better.
Actually they are going to 2 inch lap belts for racing harnesses. The 3 inch belts do not fit the notch in the human pelvis and so either ride up or down from the notch and tend to curl over just a bit. The 2 inch belt fits right in the notch so makes for a more comfortable belt and doesn't lose any strength to the 3 inch belt.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...ition/profi-II

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-25-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Makes sense.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bob Blackmon
Hey Bob, congrats on the championship. Get the B-K lap belt mounts. After using a 3 inch belt I went to a 2 inch. Alot more comfortable and you can actually get it tighter. I agree on lap belt only for autocross. You can get a 2 inch latch and link from Wesco Performance. http://store.yahoo.net/wescoperformance/index.html

EDIT: I have a G Force 3 inch latch and link lap belt you can have if

you want it.
Thanks, I'll take it. Toss it in your truck & I'll see you at an event. I'd like to try a 2 vs 3 inch.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 lap belt system, what to use?

Quick Reply: c5 lap belt system, what to use?