Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

traqmate users step in

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default traqmate users step in

does the complete system broadcast live data if you have a laptop in the pits? I mean, can someone in the pits monitor the car during a session? or do you run a session and have to remove/plug into the car unit to download data?

I thought my car was setup wrong or underpowered but one of my co-drivers in the 6-hour last week was 4 or more seconds faster. I need to figure out how he does it.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

[hijack] What all have you done to your car to make it last a 6 hour race? [/hijack]
Old 01-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

I run half the cylinders and exhaust, smaller tires and 2300# wet w/driver...

I race the spec miata, track-day/tt the vette. too much cost to convert and race the vette. man I'd love to be able to do the 6-hour in it though.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Gump
I run half the cylinders and exhaust, smaller tires and 2300# wet w/driver...

I race the spec miata, track-day/tt the vette. too much cost to convert and race the vette. man I'd love to be able to do the 6-hour in it though.
Oh, you devil. I should have known there was a trick.

I can't imagine what it'd cost to engineer my car to make it last 6 hours at almost full throttle.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

Originally Posted by Falcon
I can't imagine what it'd cost to engineer my car to make it last 6 hours at almost full throttle.
figure that one out and you're sitting pretty--many vettes enter each year, I don't think any made it the distance. tony gaples had 2 cars in it and sonny whelen had one, and a private t1 vette. don't think any finished.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:11 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't the solution just to drive as slow as a Spec Miata would? :-)

glen
'91 miata
'06 corvette
Old 01-25-2007, 08:52 AM
JiminFL
Racer

Eric,

I have a Traqmate and it is not capable of transmitting a live feed to a laptop. Download is by serial cable once the session is done, but having your data and his to compare would very likely help to illustrate where the time is gained/lost.

You could probably spend tons of money and time trying to figure out how to wirelessly transmit serial data from a second in-car device of some sort, but I don't think you can download until the session recording is stopped, so it doesn't seem worth pursuing. I can't recall if the Traqmate supports a dash display like the G2X and others, which might suggest available live real-time data you could then stream somehow, but that's getting well beyond where I could advise you, especially if you are also talking about getting a solid signal from the car way over in Sebring 10-12, the toe of the boot at WGI, or out of the gully (T8?) at Roebling on a laptop in the pits. When I was shopping I decided a dash in the car was a bad thing seeing as I'm not racing and this is my DD. No need to tempt myself by watching lap times go by or trying to push.

I've done 3 HPDEs with mine now and I've spent a few hours geeking over my data, but there's LOTS of info left in there I haven't managed to digest yet. My two purposes for the Traqmate were to make Trackvision videos with a virtual dashboard, which isn't terribly easy but is way cool, and to have some hindsight to look at times, replay mistakes and compare fast and not so fast laps.

Here's a ~90MB clip from Watkins Glen last May. WGI clip

Do any of the competitors in the same price range support telemetry?

Jim
Old 01-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Blocktrdr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

It connects via usb. You could borrow mine if you want to try it. I think you need something more robust for what you want though. I'll see if I can find a session log from Sebring you could look at.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Originally Posted by Blocktrdr
It connects via usb. You could borrow mine if you want to try it. I think you need something more robust for what you want though. I'll see if I can find a session log from Sebring you could look at.
I thought you had one, couldn't remember which one you mentioned though. is yours the basic or complete?

thanks jim. you're right, that vid is COOL!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:10 PM
jlucas
Racer

Originally Posted by JiminFL
Do any of the competitors in the same price range support telemetry?
Nope, not yet.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Blocktrdr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

It's the complete. I will be at Moroso next Sat for the kart races. Are you running the SCCA event on the road course by chance?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

I thought about it but too much going on. I'll catch up with you eventually. thanks for the offer.

Get notified of new replies

To traqmate users step in

Quick Reply: traqmate users step in