Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 camber mod with upper control arm spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:03 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default C4 camber mod with upper control arm spacers?

I read somewhere and cant find the mod where the 18mm and 9mm bushings are swapped? on the upper control arms to gain camber for better cornering.
Anyone know this mod, and have pictures? Sailor proof pics , so I can do it. Thanks, Steve
1993 C4 FE1 with ZO7 bars and shocks, springs coming later, and Grand SPort tires/Wheels.

Last edited by steve40th; 01-25-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:35 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve:
PM me your email address. I have got some pictures of Gene's setup. His handle here is Jacki&GeneZ16.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:40 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
I read somewhere and cant find the mod where the 18mm and 9mm bushings are swapped? on the upper control arms to gain camber for better cornering.
Anyone know this mod, and have pictures? Sailor proof pics , so I can do it. Thanks, Steve
1993 C4 FE1 with ZO7 bars and shocks, springs coming later, and Grand SPort tires/Wheels.
We swapped the inside and outside oval washer thingys to get more neg camber. Is that what you mean? I also knew a guy that had shaved the washers down.

We also shimmed the rear of the K member in with the shimms that go in the stock control arms.

Does that sound right? It's been a few years.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:55 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Evan Ginsberg
We swapped the inside and outside oval washer thingys to get more neg camber. Is that what you mean? I also knew a guy that had shaved the washers down.

We also shimmed the rear of the K member in with the shimms that go in the stock control arms.

Does that sound right? It's been a few years.
I am not sure, But I heard you can swap the bishings up top on the upper control arms. SOmething to do with the front rear bolts, and two bishings. Makes a big difference on camber availablity.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:55 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Steve:
PM me your email address. I have got some pictures of Gene's setup. His handle here is Jacki&GeneZ16.
PM sent. thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 11:00 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Is this the modification for the spacers? They talk of caster being increased, but not camber.
http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/40218/
Old 01-25-2007, 12:17 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
Is this the modification for the spacers? They talk of caster being increased, but not camber.
http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/40218/
They moved the spacers front to rear to change the caster (the spacers are different thicknesses). This is not really needed IMO on later ('88 & up) C4s.

Machining both spacers equally will help with camber. I had mine machined .120" thinner. In conjunction with my installation of Global West del-a-lum bushings, I now have nearly -2.0* of camber up front and my caster is still >6*
Old 01-25-2007, 03:47 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
They moved the spacers front to rear to change the caster (the spacers are different thicknesses). This is not really needed IMO on later ('88 & up) C4s.

Machining both spacers equally will help with camber. I had mine machined .120" thinner. In conjunction with my installation of Global West del-a-lum bushings, I now have nearly -2.0* of camber up front and my caster is still >6*
After reading the article etc, I realized it wouldnt be a benifit for my 93. I have about 5-6 degrees caster already as it is lowered and this caused the caster to go up.
But for extra camber, the machining seems reasonable. But I still have allot of shims I can take out in there for additional camber if needed.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:54 PM
90pololt4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,
Are you road racing, auto-X-ing or just driving on the road? The reason I ask is, if being used to SCCA auto X in stock or SP, then the bushings must remain in their stock locations and in their original thickness. If the car is not being used for this, then I would recommend doing it as it will make the the car more stable. I have tried it on the track and it really made the car better at high speeds.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:07 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by 90pololt4
Steve,
Are you road racing, auto-X-ing or just driving on the road? The reason I ask is, if being used to SCCA auto X in stock or SP, then the bushings must remain in their stock locations and in their original thickness. If the car is not being used for this, then I would recommend doing it as it will make the the car more stable. I have tried it on the track and it really made the car better at high speeds.
Mostly street but autocrossing. My Vette is lowered and am using the VB&P advanced street alignment. I do have quite a bit of caster do to lowering anyways. But camber mods are worth it apparently on the C4.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 camber mod with upper control arm spacers?

Quick Reply: C4 camber mod with upper control arm spacers?