Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Survival school

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:25 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street Survival school

I've enrolled my 16 year old in this school.
http://www.streetsurvival.org/streetsurvival/
Does anyone have any comments about this school? Are there any others that are within a day drive of Little Rock?

I know that statistics say that the more seat time with parents the safer the kid is. Since I only see him every other weekend, I don't get as much time as I would like.

I also got the AAA DVD training program. It has some good points that it tries to drive home.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

John
Old 01-25-2007, 12:26 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

It's been very well received by parents and their kids alike and IMO is definitely worth the money. About the only complaint I hear is that they need to offer it more than once a year.

At one point in time, there was talk of BMW pursuing an agreement with the insurance companies for the ins companies to give kids a break on rates after successful completion of the school. Not sure if that ever really occurred or if it's in the "good idea" stage.

Each BMW chapter has the opportunity to host one of these schools. Sooooo, search around and you'll find more. For example, I know the St. Louis BMW CCA hosts a school every year. I'll bet the Chicago chapter does so as well, etc

I think you'll find it worthwhile/money well spent.

Edit: Here's the schedule link with locations: http://www.streetsurvival.org/street...alSchedule.asp
Old 01-25-2007, 12:30 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

A few of us here in Raleigh NC have instructed with this Street Survival teen program.

It is a lot of fun. The teen drivers get a lot of good tips, learn some valuable driving skills.

The only challange is all the students want to stay on the WET skid pad.

Overall it is
Old 01-25-2007, 02:55 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Default DFW BMW group is putting one on 3/31 at TMS

John,

The Lone Star Chapter of BMWCCA (www.lscbmwcca.org) is putting one on at TMS on March 31. We did one last year and it was a great event. The kids drive whatever cars they own (my 2 students had a 4 Runner and a V6 Prelude), the intent is to get them to see what their cars are doing when going out of control (understeer, oversteer, panic stops), and put them into situations where they have to react in a maximum manner to avoid cones (each cone is a wreck).

Guess what was the most common problem *all* of the students had:
Underinflated tires. The 4 runner had 18-21 psi in all 4; factory says 30 psi. I also had the students check their oil (neither knew how!), and the one student (male) with the 4 runner was so low it wouldn't show up on the dipstick. I had him add 2 qts, then it was only about 3/4 qt low.

My other student's (female) car was basically ready to go.

So, not only do they get some driving skills, but also a few basic maintenance skills as well.

It's a great investment in your kid. As far as the insurance break goes, check with your insurance company. Many will accept it for a discount, but can't say all will.

Let me know if you want to get your kiddo signed up.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-25-2007, 05:09 PM
johninar
Drifting

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
John,

The Lone Star Chapter of BMWCCA (www.lscbmwcca.org) is putting one on at TMS on March 31.

Let me know if you want to get your kiddo signed up.

Have a good one,
Mike
Mike,

This is the class I have him signed up for. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is the 6 hour drive in his Lancer!!!

Thanks for the replies.

John
Old 01-25-2007, 05:38 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well when I opened todays paper there were two accidents on Long Island with fatalities in both. Eighteen and nineteen years old. Speed looks to be the culprit. Great move on your part to protect you child. He will enjoy and respect the car more!
Old 01-25-2007, 07:19 PM
ace996
Pro

I am a teacher for the BMWCCA for Solo and the Street Survival. I cannot explain what a pleasure it is to instruct the SS. Last summer, my student made such remarkable progress over the day...I was amazed and very proud of him. The last run of the day, I invited his father to sit in the passenger seat and I sat in the back. Dad was speechless at how well his son handled the emergency sections and the wet skidpad. I was very proud of him, and know that he is able to handle a car much better than when he arrived. I look forward to this year's school.

It is a fantastic event and it should be a mandatory requirement for all drivers.

Be good,
TomK
Old 01-25-2007, 08:16 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by johninar
Mike,

This is the class I have him signed up for. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is the 6 hour drive in his Lancer!!!

Thanks for the replies.

John
John,

I'll be instructing at the SS; look forward to meeting you!

Mike
Old 01-26-2007, 08:30 AM
johninar
Drifting

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
John,

I'll be instructing at the SS; look forward to meeting you!

Mike
That's great, I look forward to meeting you. Just don't say anything to my son that he is qualified to drive the Vette now.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:48 PM
SpeedTeacher
Instructor

Default Driving School

I've enrolled my 16 year old in this school.
http://www.streetsurvival.org/streetsurvival/
Does anyone have any comments about this school? Are there any others that are within a day drive of Little Rock?

I know that statistics say that the more seat time with parents the safer the kid is. Since I only see him every other weekend, I don't get as much time as I would like.

I also got the AAA DVD training program. It has some good points that it tries to drive home.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

John
This is probably a little far, but I run the No Limit Performance Driving School in Fort Wayne, IN. Students use our cars (STI, Corvette, Mustang) for the first part of the day. Then, at the end of the day they can use their car. Basically it is an autocross school, but focuses on progressively approaching the car's limits. We have a two-hour classroom session the night before the driving portion. We use the cars we do to attract attention and interest to our school. The power and handling of the cars also challenges new drivers. By the end of the day they will have had fun, and more importantly will leave the school respecting the importance of being a responsible driver.
Our website is: www.hi-performancemarketing.com
Feel free to take a look and shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions. I know you are far away, but if you are ever in the neighborhood, you can stop by. Heck, with enough interest we'll bring the school to your neck of the woods.

Todd James
No Limit Performance Driving School
Old 01-26-2007, 07:04 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

That's great, I look forward to meeting you. Just don't say anything to my son that he is qualified to drive the Vette now.
A quick funny story: Recently I was taking one of our cars up to our church's parking lot to put it up for sale. My son and I had been going through typical 17 yr. old youth vs. dad issues, and to sweeten his attitude a bit, I told him to follow me in the Vette. He said he'd never been so intimidated in his life! But, the grin almost split his lips open!

See you Feb. 31. BTW, we're having an autocross the next day at the same location; y'all ought to stick around if you can.

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Street Survival school

Quick Reply: Street Survival school