Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 last trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Cape Cod Bob
Account disabled by user request 2 March 2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 last trailer question

First I want to thank all who have taken the time to answer my trailer questions. I really appreciate it and it's been a great help.
I'm now down to 2 trailers and I would appreciate your input on these 2 trailers.
One is Pace American "tandem" and the other is (a little less expensive) Haulmark "Thrifty Hauler".
I'm leaning to the Pace as I'm told the workmanship is superior.
Any thoughts pro or con on either make?

Thanks again for all your help!

Bob B.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:55 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I've owned both types and have been happy with both. We'd need more info on the trailers:

Axle rating?
Total length, width, height, etc.
Finished interior?
Electric lights?
AC?
etc, etc, etc.
Price?
Old 01-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Cape Cod Bob

Both have pretty much the same options.
3500# torflex/torsion suspension with 3500# axles and elect. brakes on all 4's.
Both are 20' with 4000# winch systems. Walls and ceiling are done and checkerboard floors(think I might pass on the floors). Couple of lights and extended tongue, roof vent, 4 d-rings, stoneguard, radial 15" tires, and bevertail.
The Haulmark has the best price but there is a .155 surcharge of $775 that a couple of quotes I got have tagged on them. Not sure if that's legit but they say it's to cover increased costs of production.
Pace doesn't have that in the quote.
The Pace is about $780 more but I've heard so many good things about the Pace and their quality of workmanship I almost think the extra might be worth it. But, if you guys like the Haulmark too, then maybe I should go with that one and save the $$
Bob B.

Last edited by Cape Cod Bob; 01-26-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:11 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what finish are the sides done with? Rivets, seamless, under side is finished how?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:33 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a Pace Pursuit 24' Great trailer.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Cape Cod Bob

Originally Posted by John Shiels
what finish are the sides done with? Rivets, seamless, under side is finished how?
White vinyl on both but I don't see anything on the spec. sheets about rivets etc.
Chip resistant undercoating on the Pace, rust inhibiting chassis proctection on the Haulmark.
Bob B.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Cape Cod Bob

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I have a Pace Pursuit 24' Great trailer.

Thanks!!
How's she tow? Do you use any sway controls or load level devices on your Pace? Anything I should make sure I order? Do you have a wooden floor or did you get some sort of finish? I'll probably get a winch as my car door needs 6" or less of wheel well to open.
Bob B.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:06 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

That surcharge they are referring to is the increase in steel price. As it goes up and down, the surcharge may change a bit from year to year. Everyone 'charges' for it...it's just a matter of if they show it separately on the invoice or not.

The 3500# axles are a concern. I would go with at least 5K axles!!! How big is the trailer?? Even a 20' trailer is going to weigh around 3K lbs...plus a 3K car. That's 6K already and you'll end up putting another 1K lbs of stuff in there (at least), which means you're at the max for the axles. Spend the money and upgrade to the bigger hubs/axles - you'll need it.

I owned a pace 28' V-nose and recently bought a new 44' Haulmark.

Here are some of the problems I had with the Pace:
1. Wore out tires due to wearing of the inside of the tires. It was probably a bit overloaded, but this thing ate tires.

2. After a few years, it started leaking in the LR of the trailer.

3. Floor began to separate and come up from the edges at the RR.

4. Entire wheel/tire combo came off while towing back from Mid Ohio. Yep, all the lugs sheered off and my tire and wheel went flying off across the freeway! I'm not sure if it was a design issue. I had heard that there were folks who were messing with driver's equipment while they were out on track during the last Runoffs at Mid Ohio. I did not check the lugs before I left the track and they could have been loosened - I just don't know. That had never happened before and did not happen again.I also later found several nails in my truck and trailer tires, so I thought it may have been vandals screwing with me since I made sure to lock everything up when I went to the grid.

I ran the trailer hard from 2000 to 2006 and I was happy overall with it. With Haulmark and Pace, I doubt there's enough design difference to really justify going with one or the other. If everything else is equal on the trailer, I'd go with the cheaper one...and buy a couple of extra spare tires and wheels. You'll need 'em!!

Last edited by wtknght1; 01-28-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Cape Cod Bob

Thanks Chris,
Great info as usual.
I owe ya a couple of cold ones!!

Bob B.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:36 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
Thanks!!
How's she tow? Do you use any sway controls or load level devices on your Pace? Anything I should make sure I order? Do you have a wooden floor or did you get some sort of finish? I'll probably get a winch as my car door needs 6" or less of wheel well to open.
Bob B.
No problems, I use a 1500HD with load leveling anti-sway hitch. I am very close to my tow limit. Tows very will up to 60 mph. So I drive 55-60 not over. with my rig, trailer car and junk I am right at my limit or just under. The only challange is on the Highway and a 18 wheels is passing. Have to move over to the right so there is more room between myself and the 18 wheeler.

I have not had problems with tires. I do watch the air pressure very close and run 4 psi less in the front two tires then the rear two.

It was a all wood interior. So I painted the walls white and used an Epoxy garage floor sealer on the floor. With out the painting it was way too dark inside.
Oh the one thing I dont like is my inside lights dont work. Must be a short some place, which I need to track down, but havent.

I agree with Chris, 5000 lbs axles would have been better, but it was my first trailer.

I do like the 24' as I put in cabents up front for storage and a work bench. Plus a shelve above the work bench for light weight things.
So between the nose of my car and the front of the cabents I still have 4 feet or so for a few things. and if its raining when you get to the track and you have not unloaded, you have some room to site or work on something.

Get two spare tires, ppl tell me tire blow out in pairs, the right side of the trailers wheels going off the edge of the road and POP POP, out goes both right side tires.

Keeping every thing locked up at the track is a great idea for saftey. I do have a trailer / towing check list I go though every time I tow. The enclosed trailer is great as there has been a few times when I have gotten home and was so tired I just left everything in the trailer lockup up. Then unloaded the next day.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten a 2500 pickup and a 28 footer. Now sometime this year I will get a 3500 diesel doully.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 01-27-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Cape Cod Bob

Thanks AU N EGL,
More good info...thanks. Think I'll upgrade to 5000# axles as you guys suggest.
Maybe go a bit longer than 20' too.
Bob B.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:22 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check out H&H trailer also. The site shows how they are made. I would look at construction underneath. Type of steel, stamped or structural, size of main beams, cross member size, gussets on them, welding and how much, and door construction. Stiff construction eliminates flexing and problems with doors, roof and leaks, wall problems. I hate all the fasteners on the sides of trailers that seem to rust in 3 years.

Yes bigger axles will save you a bundle, more resale, bigger tires, bigger brakes, bigger bearings. If you have room get 24' minimum. Also LED lights!

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-27-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:24 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
Thanks Chris,
Great info as usual.
I owe ya a couple of cold ones!!

Bob B.
I'll take you up on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2007, 08:15 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

did the hub come off, because the castle nut loosened up?
or did just the lug nuts loosen up?

I check my lug nuts often, and never did not even 1 loosen up.
Not on car, not on trailer, not on tow vehicle, nothing.

The fact that other racers would mess with your rig while your running is pretty LOW.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:30 AM
01C5fan
Racer

I own a 20' Thrifty Hauler and it's been trouble free for four years. I usually carry at least 1 extra set of tires, a big plastic tool box, floor jack, misc parts and fluids. Mine's bare bones - no interior paint, shelving or cabinets. I do have a winch which has been needed a couple of times. There's not a lot of extra room, but everything fits fine. I've hauled the car, building supplies, moved friends, etc. and so far so good. A couple of years ago I upgraded the tow vehicle to a 3/4 ton Suburban which helps alot going through the mountains. Good luck with yours.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:40 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by the blur
did the hub come off, because the castle nut loosened up?
or did just the lug nuts loosen up?

I check my lug nuts often, and never did not even 1 loosen up.
Not on car, not on trailer, not on tow vehicle, nothing.

The fact that other racers would mess with your rig while your running is pretty LOW.
Actually, it was that all the lugs sheered off and just the wheel and tire went bouncing across the freeway. I went back and corrected that part of my post. It was just pure luck that I happened to be looking at my side mirror when I saw it come off. The shock on my face must have been priceless. I just couldn't believe it!!!! It was also pure luck that it bounced across the other side of the freeway without hitting anyone/anything.

There were apparently quite a few people that reported problems during the runoffs - missing wallets, money, parts, equipment, etc. Bastards!

Get notified of new replies

To 1 last trailer question

Quick Reply: 1 last trailer question