Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

experience w tunnel reinf plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:31 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default experience w tunnel reinf plate

Elite Engineering sells a tunnel reinforcement plate to stiffen up the chasis. Any one have any experience with this? Good/bad!

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/E...ent_Plate.html
Old 01-26-2007, 07:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It does cuts down on heat. Does it help handling? I didn't see it in lap times that I could measure or SOTP. Could it hurt? No. Could it have helped possible but to get some consistent lap times with traffic and on different days is impossible.

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-26-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Shiels
It does cuts down on heat. Does it help handling? I didn't see it in lap times that I could measure or SOTP. Could it hurt? No. Could it have helped possible but to get some consistent lap times with traffic and on different days is impossible.
Do they make a thicker version too? Do you think either of them would be worth the cost for the amount of reduction in heat they'd make?
Old 01-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 Whisperer
Do they make a thicker version too? Do you think either of them would be worth the cost for the amount of reduction in heat they'd make?
Yes! I put the ceramic coated stainless one on my 04 vert and it made all the interior difference in the world. I'll be putting another stainless coated one on my Z06 in a few days, also to keep heat out of the interior. The coated stainless removes/protects the car from the most heat according to Elite's tunnel plate temperature comparison sheet. There is a subtle difference in the stiffness of the car, but the difference in how much heat transfers to the interior is VERY noticeable.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:18 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 Whisperer
no place insulation material there.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:21 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I had the 3/8" version installed @ 21CMC (no insulation) to eliminate chassis flex creaks / pops, which it did (added stiffness). My driveway exit to the alley is sloped and taken diagonally, so the car is always twisted. Also heard these noises during certain street maneuvers.

In any case, no more noise. Have not been out to the track, so can't make any handling claims. Nothing I've noticed on the street, aside from a more "connected" feel to the car, which I like.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:04 AM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everyone for the "heads up"! I am going to go with the 3/8". Should cut noise, heat and I will let you know if I notice anything at the track this spring.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:37 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I put the 1/4" plate on just because I got it from a club member for half the price of new. Can't fell any differance on or off the track except for the heat. I went by Home Depot and bought a roll of the bubble/foil backed material and lined the tunnel with two layers using some 3M spray glue to hold it in place.

Before you add your plate, do a check for the rest of us. Put a jack under one corner of the car and lift untill the second tire (on the same side) starts to lift off the ground. Note the distance between the jacked tire and the ground, then after installing your new plate, recheck in the same way. If the car is stiffer, the second tire will lift off the floor sooner then before.

Please keep us informed.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:54 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

will do

Get notified of new replies

To experience w tunnel reinf plate

Quick Reply: experience w tunnel reinf plate