Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I run this Targa Truss is SCCA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 12:24 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Can I run this Targa Truss is SCCA?

I am going to my first event here in Hawaii. I would like to run the Vette with the Targa Truss in from RD Racing. But since I have a S/T frame already in the Vette, I cant fit my roof in the back. I like the fact I have more head room with the helmet.
http://www.r-dracing.com/targa-truss.htm
Old 01-27-2007, 08:37 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

He makes a mount to hold the roof in the back

What class are you running?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
I am going to my first event here in Hawaii. I would like to run the Vette with the Targa Truss in from RD Racing. But since I have a S/T frame already in the Vette, I cant fit my roof in the back. I like the fact I have more head room with the helmet.
http://www.r-dracing.com/targa-truss.htm
To my understanding your helmet can not stick above the roof line, or must be 2" below a roll bar.

So I think you may need to keep your top on.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Cashmo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But since I have a S/T frame already in the Vette, I cant fit my roof in the back.
I'm assuming you're talking about Solo. I don't think anyone will have a problem if you leave your roof in the paddock. Note that if you're too tall you can't run after market shoulder harnesses with the roof out.

3.3.1 Driver Restraints
Seat lap belts are required in all cars, and must be installed in cars with passive restraint systems that do not include a lap belt. Installation and the use of shoulder belts or harnesses is strongly recommended, however non-factory upper body restraints may only be used in open cars, cars with targa-tops in the open position, or cars with T-tops in the open position when two conditions are met:

a. The roll structure must meet either the requirements of Appendix C or Section 9.4 of the GCR.

b. The top of the roll structure may not be below the top of the driver’s helmet when the driver is in the normal driving position.

I highly recommend you read through the rule book before going to the first event.

Jeff
Old 01-27-2007, 03:10 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Brian, I do have those items in route, as I ordered them last week.
I emailed the tech inspector for our event, but have not heard back yet.
I am not to tall that my helmet will be above, I am only 5'11'' but it is nice to have the roof off for the added clearance, just a confort thing.
Jeff, thanks for the link, I will read through it tonight. This is my first event in 12 years, and that time in VA, Norfolk area, all I did was show up with a helmet and ran as is.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I run this Targa Truss is SCCA?

Quick Reply: Can I run this Targa Truss is SCCA?