Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Corvette Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:31 PM
61driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASA Corvette Racing?

Hello all, I have a C-1 I am thinking of selling and buying a c-4 to race. I would like to race wheel to wheel road races in th SE. ( I am in TN). Which NASA category does that fall in and what would a competive car cost to buy and race. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:00 AM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

I dont want to hijack this from the NASA idea but you might want to consider the TCC. TCCracing.com We race road atlanta, mid ohio, VIR, watkins glen normally each year. You would be right in the middle for most of our events. It is a little more travel than the local NASA events but we get up to 20 corvettes for some of the weekends. It is very competitive racing and a great group of racers. We race mostly SCCA events, doubles.
As far as a competitive car you could buy Chuck MacTrinders TCC traditional car. I dont think he has lost a race in it for the past number of years. He is on the forum here so he might jump in to the discussion and give you a price. I believe it was in the 20 to 25K range. For a fully sorted winning car.
As far as NASA I don't know how competitive our cars would be straight away in their series.

MAC
Old 01-28-2007, 06:19 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

You could also consider getting a C5 or C6 and racing T1 (Touring 1) in the SCCA. We have a great bunch of folks and our season has already started at Sebring and then just a week later at Homestead. It's a great winter vacation!!!

Our next event is at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC. If you're interested, let me know and I'll put you on my crew list and you can come see for yourself.

All the different series/clubs have their pros and cons and I doubt you'll go wrong with any of them. You'll have a blast!!!!! Good luck to you!!
Old 01-28-2007, 07:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The above two are excellent ideas

NASA for a corvette is most based on wt to power.

Super Touring 1 ( ST1)= "adjusted" wt/hp ratio equal to, or greater than, 5.50:1
Super Touring 2 ( ST2)= "adjusted" wt/hp ratio equal to, or greater than, 8.70:1

Less then 5.50:1 would be SU or Super Unlimited.

There are also some adjustments for verious modifications for ex
Non-DOT approved tires vs DOT approved tires would add a change to the ratio
Tire size increase over stock sizes would add a change to the ratio

The SCCA T1 prepped car would most likley fit into the NASA ST2 class.

example: 3400 lbs ( car + driver+ fuel ) / 385 RWHP = 8.83 or Class ST2

Obviously the closer to that ratio number the better.

A used C5Z06 built for SCCA T1 racing could run 32 to $45,000 depending on use. would mostly likely be very competitive.

a Speed World Challange prepared Corvette would be competitive in ST1.

SU is for NASCAR road racing cars plus other monsters powerplants in light wt cars

HTH

Last edited by AU N EGL; 01-28-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:16 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

C4's make excellant road race cars.

TCC is a great series if they run in your area.
http://www.tccracing.com/main.htm
Here's a good 'getting started' page
http://www.tccracing.com/gettingstarted.htm
Old 01-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Jaymz
Pro

I am also going to recommend NASA and the new ST class. As AN N EGL stated above with the class rules. The ST class at NASA is the easiest way to get into a race car and build it your way. With the other groups you have to follow a rulebook on what you can and can not do to your car.

ST2 would be a perfect fit a C4.

If you are interested I have a C5 ST1 car for sale. It's 38k. Cheaper than my T1 car and a lot faster too.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:17 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

NASA for a corvette is most based on wt to power.

Less then 5.50:1 would be SU or Super Unlimited.

SU is for NASCAR road racing cars plus other monsters powerplants in light wt cars

HTH
how do they (NASA) determine your HP?? and would they allow a C-3 (like the one below) in "SU"?
...redvetracr
Old 01-28-2007, 10:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redvetracr
how do they (NASA) determine your HP?? and would they allow a C-3 (like the one below) in "SU"?
...redvetracr
NASA requires you to provide a NASA certifid dyno chart from a NASA dyno shop. and produce that chart on demand. Without the chart I think you go into SU.

PPL can go UP a class if you choose too. If you run NON-DOT slicks your in SU no matter what the ratio is.

So going to DOT tires is easy to do.

The NASA ST rules are on this forum page
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=18

Last edited by AU N EGL; 01-28-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:23 AM
cnewman57
Heel & Toe

If you're in TN, there's a lot of options for a C4.

I'm running mine in :

American V8 Supercar Series ( www.av8ss.com )
Atlanta Region SCCA's ITO class ( www.atl-scca.org )
NASA

ITO uses a list of Pro rules from WCGT, Grand Am, AV8SS and a couple of other series. A C4 set up for ST would be legal in all of them.

The really cool thing about ITO and AV8SS is that the races are all at Nashville Super Speedway, Road Atlanta, and VIR. Much better for someone from the Southeast.

Chuck Newman
#92 ITO
Old 01-28-2007, 10:31 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

NASA requires you to provide a NASA certifid dyno chart from a NASA dyno shop. and produce that chart on demand. Without the chart I think you go into SU.

PPL can go UP a class if you choose too. If you run NON-DOT slicks your in SU no matter what the ratio is.

I guess my car would fall into SU, which is fine. It looks like they are going to Road America twice, which is the only reason I would do this. Would you suggest I contact the midwest guy, whose office is only about 25 minutes from me as to the rules or are the written rules somewhat different from whats "really" allowed??
...redvetracr
Old 01-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Jaymz
Pro

Tom, ST1 and ST2 can run non DOT tires they will just have to take the -.75 correction factor.

One advantage NASA has over all of the other regional ideas here is that they have a National Championship. (Think Runoffs for the SCCA folks)
Old 01-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Jaymz
Pro

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I guess my car would fall into SU, which is fine. It looks like they are going to Road America twice, which is the only reason I would do this. Would you suggest I contact the midwest guy, whose office is only about 25 minutes from me as to the rules or are the written rules somewhat different from whats "really" allowed??
...redvetracr
If you have any questions about it I am the regional director for ST in Ohio/Indiana and can help. If you are planning on running 2 weekends (4 races) then you might want to race an additional race and qualify for the Championships in September.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:37 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jaymz
Tom, ST1 and ST2 can run non DOT tires they will just have to take the -.75 correction factor.

One advantage NASA has over all of the other regional ideas here is that they have a National Championship. (Think Runoffs for the SCCA folks)
We can?? Oh yah. damn I have to get the cage in and few other preps. Well it will be sometime this year.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:38 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

If you have any questions about it I am the regional director for ST in Ohio/Indiana and can help. If you are planning on running 2 weekends (4 races) then you might want to race an additional race and qualify for the Championships in September.
the NASA midwest schedule shows two Road America dates but the R/A website shows only one (August).....this may sound silly but I am only interested in racing at Road America.
...redvetracr
Old 01-28-2007, 10:43 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Mid Oct NASA is also at Road America, or has been in the past
Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Mid Oct NASA is also at Road America, or has been in the past
yes, R/A in Oct is listed on the NASA site but not at the R/A site...they must have not gone to R/A in `06 as there are no race results posted...if they did go in `05 or `06 I would like to take a look at lap times for SU...anyone have a link??
...redvetracr

PS: do they allow "rookies" with experience in SU??
Old 01-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Jaymz
Pro

Redvetracr. Do you have a racing license from another racing group?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:01 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Redvetracr. Do you have a racing license from another racing group?
not wanting to hijack this thread any further, I sent you an e-mail.
...redvetracr
Old 01-28-2007, 02:56 PM
61driver
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I have a bunch more websites and organizations to check out. I'll be back with more questions soon.

Ray

Get notified of new replies

To NASA Corvette Racing?

Quick Reply: NASA Corvette Racing?