Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Mountain I missed, but here is my SCCA race video from California Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Spring Mountain I missed, but here is my SCCA race video from California Speedway

I was really dissappointed I could not make Spring Mountain this weekend. But I had the 2007 SCCA season opening race at California Speedway this weekend, too. If I am to have any chance of getting the car to the run-offs in Topeka, Kansas, I need to make every race I can.

Here is the link to the race on Saturday. I forgot my camera on Sunday.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...75618866908430

I got the pole both days in a field of about 25+ cars. I was bummed that there was only one other T1 racer entered and he never showed. A super touring Ferrari never made it to the grid either. That would have been a race I bet.

I did get to race some T2 cars and some ITE BMWs. They were fast and some even had drivers I had seen on Speed airing of the SCCA championship.

On the start on the second day, I held back to keep the Beemers in tow. I learned with experienced racers if you give an inch they will take a pass. I got passed by two Beemers on the turns into the infield. I followed John Norris (BMW) on the infield and drafted him around the oval to play a little and learn his line. He is a great driver and it was fun to watch. Coming back onto the infield though, even with his 25 years of racing, his car was no match and I elected to pass him. I then pulled up behind the driver for Brecht BMW and followed him though the infield and drafted him around the oval. I then passed him too on the infield and just walked away. When I pushed I would run 3-4 seconds per lap faster than them and I had a little juice left.

Saturday I finished over 30 seconds ahead of the next car and it was only a 15 minute heat race. Sunday I took it a little easier and stayed out of the three and four car tussles going on in other classes and mainly passed when I could get most all of them so as to not disrupt the battles that were sometimes only inches apart.

Saturday I got passed on the first lap in the infield by a great T2 driver, Dave Shotz. I thought to myself this is “BS” (in a friendly competitive way) and focused and upped my game and passed him back two turns later and opened up that 30+ second lead. That tussle is shown in the video link above. He was the first to teach me not to be complacent or inattentive. Good experienced drivers will literally pounce! Dave pounces!

I lap my first car about five laps into the race. And as I get more laps into the race I start lapping more frequently. A couple cars I lapped twice!

I did 1:50.xxx on Saturday. I did not see my Sunday times, yet. Other T1 races at Nationals have had lap times of 1:48 to 1:51, so I am in the hunt. I was driving the banked oval like a sissy though. I have confidence I can be in the hunt with the other drivers in T1. I had never driven this track before but my times are in the “range.” I did not shoot for being a hero my first weekend there when I am the only car in my class.

I hope you enjoy the video. There are a couple of tributes paid to sponsors in the beginning to help pay the racing bills.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:53 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Cool! Good job...
Old 01-30-2007, 02:52 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so jeleous!

I may not be able to wait for retirement to compete if I keep seeing vids like that!

Awesome Oli! Your are definately capable of 2-3 secs when you have the confidence to take T2 at 150...believe me it's no problem for your car...1:48's or 7's for sure.

Ed
Old 01-30-2007, 07:04 AM
sdz06
Advanced

Thanks for the write-up, Oli! I can't wait to see the video. I'm on a slow connection in Cuba, so I'll have to wait until I get back to see it.

I'm eager to see how the season unfolds for you - I bet you'll do well, and we'll be seeing you on the Speed channel! Keep us informed.

Justin
Old 01-30-2007, 09:30 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

awesome video as always Olli
Old 01-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AMERICANMUSL
I'm so jeleous!

I may not be able to wait for retirement to compete if I keep seeing vids like that!

Awesome Oli! Your are definately capable of 2-3 secs when you have the confidence to take T2 at 150...believe me it's no problem for your car...1:48's or 7's for sure.

Ed
Yeah, If I am going to have a consistent and reliable shot at winning the races, I need to shave off at least a couple of seconds. I am sure I have that left over....
Old 01-30-2007, 03:15 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oli,

Congrats on your 1st successful SCCA race, (obviously due to the efforts of your "team captain" Kristjan!). Good luck with the rest of season.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great result and keep me posted if you make it north, love to watch.
Randy
Old 01-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sdz06
Thanks for the write-up, Oli! I can't wait to see the video. I'm on a slow connection in Cuba, so I'll have to wait until I get back to see it.

I'm eager to see how the season unfolds for you - I bet you'll do well, and we'll be seeing you on the Speed channel! Keep us informed.

Justin

Thanks Justin for the words of support. I will need all I can muster. There are some great drivers out there and if you give an inch they will take it I have found. But all is good. If it was not like that it would not be the fun challenge that it is.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by StArrow68
Great result and keep me posted if you make it north, love to watch.
Randy
I am running two T1 races at Buttonwillow on April 21-22. I don't know if I will be running Infineon or Laguna Seca, yet.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:53 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats again, Oli!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:36 AM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

loved watching the whole video Oli....datacam2 makes it fun to see how consistent you are......First Place!!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Cat4Vette
Instructor

Congratulations, Oli!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:48 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations Oli.

That looked really exciting. Ill be the adrenalin was really pumping the first time you whipped into the infield track.

BTW, your a smart man to thank your wife. She's an amazing woman to be supportive for a habit (er, I mean sport) that takes as much time as auto racing.

Hope we'll see you soon.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Oli.

Awesome video. I have the bug so bad. I want to get on the track!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:35 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Great video. Congrats to your 1st. place Oli. Your driving style will help you win races. Just make sure you qualify first and they will be very very afraid to pass. Unless they want to trade paint.

See you at the track.

Steve

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 01-31-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:16 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Great Video -- the datacam system really adds a lot of useful information to the equation. congrats on the successful race !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Mountain I missed, but here is my SCCA race video from California Speedway

Old 02-01-2007, 01:14 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job Oli! You are starting out much like I did, I was able to pull off wins in my regional races ( did well enough that i only had to complete 2 for my National license ) and have been basically trying to stay above water ever since. You will find National races to be much more intense and tough but you will learn to love that intensity. I had a tough rookie year in argueably the most competitive Division in T1 but after finishing the year with ZERO contact of my own fault, a best finish of 2nd and a clean 16th at my first Runoffs I am proud of the year. Keep it clean and try to enjoy your rookie year, it can be stressfull but it's like nothing else out there!

Joe Gaudette
Old 02-01-2007, 03:15 AM
Hans Delbruck
Pro

Congratulations Oli! Outstanding job. With your determination, intensity and focus.... things will get even better. This is exciting!

Last edited by Hans Delbruck; 02-01-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:13 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

to damn

Quick Reply: Spring Mountain I missed, but here is my SCCA race video from California Speedway