Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Lap belt mounts for 5-point harness

Old 01-30-2007, 01:55 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default HELP: Lap belt mounts for 5-point harness

I bought FX1 Pros with locking sliders on the GP from Livernois. I don't like the brackets so I'm going with a fixed mount from Hardbar.
Here is the challenge: I want to have secure mounts for the left and right lap belts for the drivers seat, but I still want to maintain the factory belts as well. Am I asking the impossible? The mounts are supposed to be slightly behind the drivers hip line and at a 45 degree angle. Should we mount backing plates under the floor and drill holes for grade 8 bolts? Should we weld the bolts to the plate?

Could we take out the rear mounting bolts for the seat and replace them with bolts that are long enough to mount the seat and then mount the lap belt anchors on the same bolts?

Sorry for the desperate questions, but I'm trying to have it ready by Sunday for HPDE and Time Attack at PIR on Sunday.

Cheers and from Arizona

Anybody have any clear pictures of different mounting solutions?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:02 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Contact Gary from Hardbar. He's done hundreds of these and should be able to tell you exactly what to do. I don't think that drilling a hole in the floor and installing a backer plate is an acceptable alternative, but could be wrong.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:28 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

MSI a supporting vendor spends a lot of time at the track I'm sure he could help you.
Step-on-C
Old 01-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

The factory seat belts may not work properly with that seat. If you find a way to mount the inner latch (which attaches to the stock seat frame) then you will be faced with the belt running over the top of the seat and not across your hips. In an accident the belt wouldn't work correctly since it wasn't down around your hips. If you are rotund enough it might not make a difference.

Bill
Old 01-30-2007, 07:14 PM
az55
Instructor

Default Thanks Bill, but........

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The factory seat belts may not work properly with that seat. If you find a way to mount the inner latch (which attaches to the stock seat frame) then you will be faced with the belt running over the top of the seat and not across your hips. In an accident the belt wouldn't work correctly since it wasn't down around your hips. If you are rotund enough it might not make a difference.

Bill
I'm not thinking of using the stock belts with the racing seat. I just want them to remain in the car. That way I can swap the seats in and out in a few minutes if necessary. Heck, I could even do it at the track for a more comfy ride home!!
It will probably require custom mounts and anchors with reinforcement plate(s) under the floor.(similar to the way the stock seat is mounted)
I was just hoping that someone had already come up with a creative and safe way to do this. I thought there might even be some sort of kit to allow sharing the mount with the retractor.
I'll talk to Gary at Hardbar.
BTW, if I was rotund I would buy a Sparco Evo XXXXL!

Cheers from Arizona
Old 01-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by az55
I'm not thinking of using the stock belts with the racing seat. I just want them to remain in the car. That way I can swap the seats in and out in a few minutes if necessary. Heck, I could even do it at the track for a more comfy ride home!!
It will probably require custom mounts and anchors with reinforcement plate(s) under the floor.(similar to the way the stock seat is mounted)
I was just hoping that someone had already come up with a creative and safe way to do this. I thought there might even be some sort of kit to allow sharing the mount with the retractor.
I'll talk to Gary at Hardbar.
BTW, if I was rotund I would buy a Sparco Evo XXXXL!

Cheers from Arizona
The Brey Krause belt adapters will allow you to use the stock seat retractor and mount a racing lap belt at the same place. The BK units fit behind the stock retractor and have a loop that sticks out through the plastic trim. Here is a picture of the outside mount.

The inside mount attaches to the same spot on the seat frame as the stock belt.

Bill
Old 01-30-2007, 07:43 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The Brey Krause belt adapters will allow you to use the stock seat retractor and mount a racing lap belt at the same place. The BK units fit behind the stock retractor and have a loop that sticks out through the plastic trim. Here is a picture of the outside mount.

The inside mount attaches to the same spot on the seat frame as the stock belt.

Bill
I have had no issues with the Brey Krause belt adapters. I went with them because they allow the seat to go back to the OEM stops.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:02 PM
az55
Instructor

Thanks, Gentlemen.
The Brey-Krause looks like a possiblilty. I appreciate the pictures. I just got off the phone with Dan from Vetteworks. I ordered my Hardbar seat mount from him. It won't get to me until late this week or early next. He said I should wait until I see how the Hardbar mount works and exactly where the race seat will sit. Then I can make decisions based on feedback from Gary.

I always want things done yesterday. I should be more patient. I just really hate the idea of running the car this Sunday with the stock seat. Especially since I drove around a little with the race seat in with the stock belts cinched up to the MAX.

I could run that way but I don't think it would pass tech.
Oh well, let the waiting begin
Cheers from Arizona
Old 01-30-2007, 09:33 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

OK, first, use a 6 point not a 5 point. It is, shall we say, nicer to the sensitive parts of the body. We make a lap/sub belt bar that puts the lap an sub belts at the proper angles. Call me for further details! However, with our seat rails, you do not need anything else (besides the car, the seat, and a harness). We use and recommend the Teamtech Rampac or Jetpilot, and when you order it from us, it fits correctly.
Gary Hoffman
603-682-8073

Last edited by ghoffman; 01-31-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Don't have a way to post pictures, but email me and I'll show you the set up I did with a Kirkey and the Hardbar setup. It came out very good and I can use my stock seatbelt if I want to.

Regards,
Tony
Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Westwopper
Don't have a way to post pictures, but email me and I'll show you the set up I did with a Kirkey and the Hardbar setup. It came out very good and I can use my stock seatbelt if I want to.

Regards,
Tony
Thanks! I use www.photobucket.com to post pics. It is free and easy. Just sign up and then upload your pics. Then copy and paste the [img] version into this forum.

click to add title

cancel
move | edit | share | delete

Redseatrail1.jpg
URL Link
HTML Tag
IMG Code
Old 02-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Westwopper
Racer

is a pic of my seat with the harness mounted and the lap belt.

This picture shows that I am using risers on the front of the seat only. The rear is mounted to the rail. The forward most bolts will be removed and installed closer to the front of the seat when I get the sub belt set up.

This is showing a washer under the stud adapter with the washer on top.

Hope this helps guys.

Regards,
Tony

Last edited by Westwopper; 02-01-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:47 AM
az55
Instructor

Default Thats It!

Many thanks, Westwopper.

Those pictures were exactly what I needed. Perfect.
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to run with the stock seat this Sunday at PIR, but I ordered everything I need from Vetteworks and Hardbar and I should have it in by the following week-end for Firebird!
If I would have been a little more patient, I would have realized the Hardbar mounts were the solution in the first place.
Cheers from Arizona.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP: Lap belt mounts for 5-point harness

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP: Lap belt mounts for 5-point harness