Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR full with NASA March 31 April 1st

Old 01-30-2007, 04:04 PM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default VIR full with NASA March 31 April 1st

Just signed up for HPDE 3. Anyone coming down?

I should have some new Toyo's, pads and fluid and a new car with maybe 2000 miles on it by then.

Should I just go ahead and swap the Z51 drilled rotors out for the C5 blanks? I already have the abutments.

Can I safely get 6 sessions at VIR plus 700 street miles on a new set of pads, brand TBD?

Thanks

George
Old 01-30-2007, 04:33 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely swap the rotors!

You can get all those sessions if they're Carbotechs and depending on how hard you drive...and how long the sessions are. Either way, I'd carry an extra set with you. It's always a good idea to keep an extra set of front rotors and pads with you! You'll use them eventually!

It shouldn't be too hot, so you should be OK.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:49 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gfacter
Just signed up for HPDE 3. Anyone coming down?

I should have some new Toyo's, pads and fluid and a new car with maybe 2000 miles on it by then.

Should I just go ahead and swap the Z51 drilled rotors out for the C5 blanks? I already have the abutments.

Can I safely get 6 sessions at VIR plus 700 street miles on a new set of pads, brand TBD?

Thanks

George
There is nothing wrong with your Z51 rotors at all so save your $$ with the C5 stuff or return it. I have 16 events last year (34 DAYS) and 11,000 miles on mine and the rotors are fine. Stay away from the super pads too. The PFC Z's work great and they will last about 4-6 events (30-45 sessions at VIR ... lol). Other tracks use them faster.

The Z pads are hard to find now but MSI (vendor here) has them. Buy 2 sets of fronts and one rear. Flip the fronts (inside to outside) after 2 events. For some reason they don't seem to taper like the regular Zo6's did.

Don't listen to the hype about drilled rotors. That's my opinion but it is based on a lot of experience with this Z51 car and with these pads. I have never run out of brakes or cracked a Z51 rotor.

Stock C6 pads suck but you can easily get the 6 sessions and 5,000 miles on them.

Put some good fluid in the car too.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:51 PM
rbl
Drifting

Well ... if Chris is driving it then you will deffinately need the pads and rotors! Bring extra fuel too!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:18 PM
gfacter
Pro

Good to know, I havent had the Vette on the track yet and don't know what to expect from the brakes. I tend to brake hard into 1 and on the back straight, turn 13? way past the markers when going uphill a bit
Old 01-30-2007, 05:23 PM
gfacter
Pro

The MSI Z pads are for the C6 or C5Z06 right?

Originally Posted by rbl

The Z pads are hard to find now but MSI (vendor here) has them. Buy 2 sets of fronts and one rear. Flip the fronts (inside to outside) after 2 events. For some reason they don't seem to taper like the regular Zo6's did.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep, I'll be there!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:42 PM
gfacter
Pro

Look for the red on red c6, I have a red driving suit also.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:50 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rbl
There is nothing wrong with your Z51 rotors at all so save your $$ with the C5 stuff or return it. I have 16 events last year (34 DAYS) and 11,000 miles on mine and the rotors are fine. Stay away from the super pads too. The PFC Z's work great and they will last about 4-6 events (30-45 sessions at VIR ... lol). Other tracks use them faster.

Don't listen to the hype about drilled rotors. That's my opinion but it is based on a lot of experience with this Z51 car and with these pads. I have never run out of brakes or cracked a Z51 rotor.

Stock C6 pads suck but you can easily get the 6 sessions and 5,000 miles on them.

I have been using Wilwood H pads on my C6 Z51 rotors with no issues. The Z51 rotors are what GM uses when t4esting at the Ring.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:04 PM
02impactblue
Pro

I used the c6 z51 rotors for 11 track events last year and never cracked a rotor. I did develop the little stress cracks coming from several of the holes after switching over to carbotechs. Try xp8 fronts and panther plus rears or more agressive xp10 fronts and xp8 rears. I wouldn't go any higher than the xp10/8 combo on street tires. The most important thing you should do is use fresh dot4 fluid with a bleed just before the event. BTW your pads should make the round trip and 2 tracks days but bring an extra set of fronts just incase. I have 4 track days(2 at vir)including round trips to the track on my carbotechs xp10/8 and they have better than 50% pad left.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 PM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

Originally Posted by rbl

16 events and 11000 miles on one set of rotors????? Where do you start braking, the 12 marker?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:09 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

run the drilled rotor hard with a race pad and you won't get 2 days from it. Probably shot in less than one day. PFC z pads (are street pads) and won't stop you twice in a row if run hard. It all depends how hard you run your car. I guess it is what ever works for you.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:18 AM
dmwhite
Racer

i should be there...look for the slow blue (and silver) m3 in the race group...or the guy that falcon is making fun of (and vice versa) in the paddock
Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 AM
gfacter
Pro

I do run fairly hard, ~1:18s at the Full Course with my Honda S2000, I ran Cobalt Spec VR pads which are a very agressive race pad, they chewed the rotors up but worked really good. I tried Carbotech Xp10/Xp8 combo, I went through the front pads in 4 sessions and cracked a rotor. I wasnt happy with that, I guess I will call Cobalt and see what they have.

How do the Dust seals on the calipers hold up? I was melting miine on the Honda

Who Carries the Cheap C5 rotors now?

Originally Posted by John Shiels
run the drilled rotor hard with a race pad and you won't get 2 days from it. Probably shot in less than one day. PFC z pads (are street pads) and won't stop you twice in a row if run hard. It all depends how hard you run your car. I guess it is what ever works for you.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:46 AM
dmwhite
Racer

I do run fairly hard, ~1:18s at the Full Course with my Honda S2000
1:18's? holy crap...i bet you hate it when those pesky daytona prototypes hold you up...

ps. with those kind of lap times, you might be able to keep falcon in sight

Last edited by dmwhite; 01-31-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:47 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZO6-Driver
16 events and 11000 miles on one set of rotors????? Where do you start braking, the 12 marker?
It depends on who she is following
Old 01-31-2007, 11:18 AM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

I have some questions for anyone that's been to a NASA event before.
Do you get 4 sessions a day? Will they make me have an instructor since I've never driven with them before. Will being signed off at Mazda, Viper Days and Chin and having over 10 events allow me to be in Group-3? I see they say be signed off at 2 tracks, would North and Grand East count? The thing is I don't have a race seat and harness' for the passenger side.

Get notified of new replies

To VIR full with NASA March 31 April 1st

Old 01-31-2007, 11:26 AM
ZO6-Driver
Pro

I do run fairly hard, ~1:18s at the Full Course with my Honda S2000, I ran Cobalt Spec VR pads which are a very agressive race pad, they chewed the rotors up but worked really good. I tried Carbotech Xp10/Xp8 combo, I went through the front pads in 4 sessions and cracked a rotor. I wasnt happy with that, I guess I will call Cobalt and see what they have.

How do the Dust seals on the calipers hold up? I was melting miine on the Honda

Who Carries the Cheap C5 rotors now?
Your going to crack rotors so just buy the cheap NAPA rotors for $26 a piece. 2 bolts and 15 minutes to change one. I run Wilwood H pads but the aggressive Carbotech pads are real good also.

The dust seals actually hold up pretty good. Depends on pad material and how low you run the pads. Less material = more heat transfer. I came from a Supra Turbo to the Z and went from a fast lap of 1:18 to 1:10. You'll love the Z out there.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:46 AM
gfacter
Pro

Duh 2:18's

Originally Posted by dmwhite
1:18's? holy crap...i bet you hate it when those pesky daytona prototypes hold you up...

ps. with those kind of lap times, you might be able to keep falcon in sight
Old 01-31-2007, 11:53 AM
gfacter
Pro

You should at least get into group 2, with a instructor who would sign you off for 3. Just talk with Chris Cobetto, I went straight into 3, but have more than 60 days plus some instructing. As to the Race seat, I would ask Chris that also. I wouldnt mind having a 2nd set of eyes along for my first outing in the Vette.

You only get 3 sessions a day, but I have some friends that Race in H1 at Nasa and it's just fun to hang out.

Originally Posted by ZO6-Driver
I have some questions for anyone that's been to a NASA event before.
Do you get 4 sessions a day? Will they make me have an instructor since I've never driven with them before. Will being signed off at Mazda, Viper Days and Chin and having over 10 events allow me to be in Group-3? I see they say be signed off at 2 tracks, would North and Grand East count? The thing is I don't have a race seat and harness' for the passenger side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VIR full with NASA March 31 April 1st