Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a rollbar

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 10:48 PM
GoKartman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time for a rollbar

Anybody got in recommendations for a rollbar for a 2001 Z06. Car is heading more and more closer to becoming a track car, but is still a street car as well. I'm doing HPDE events ( 6 last year) and Laguna last month. Want to keep the carpeting and I think a 4pt will suffice? Yes/No ?

I can weld (a little), so is this within the possibilty of a DIY? I've done all my on bolt-ons like swaybars, shocks, brakes/ducts, VaraRam, harness bar/belts and tunnel plate. This would seem to be much more involved. Any experiences here?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 12:40 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I am sure a 4 point would suffice. It seems to me that the hoop reinforcement and the back two downtubes being reinforced is a common recommendation. Good luck

Al
Old 02-03-2007, 07:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dont forget the diagonal down tube, Up high behind the drivers head, to down low behind the passanger. all with in the main roll hoop. Plus the horizontal tube about shoulder level for the harness.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:44 AM
jfaphoenix32
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

You should reconsider that 4 point... A roll hoop is not really adequate when you consider the speed potential of a Corvette on track...

Give your self a real chance should anything go wrong... Put a full cage in the car if you intend to track it often with slicks, suspension and power mods...

The guardrails and walls don't know the difference or differentiate between a 130 mph track day car or a fully prepped race car....

Think about it carefully.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:36 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with jAPhoenix32. However, if your car must do double duty like mine and getting in and out easily and frequently is a concern- you might want to consider the R D racing unit. It is a 4 point cross braced unit and quite stout. It took me about 8 hours to install with the hardest part being removal of the trim and carpet pieces. It also has a base cross bar between the main uprights that is designed for mounting of harnesses.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cage is best and Phoenix cage is tops, but for double duty DRM makes a nice bar which you can easily install yourself if you can weld. Better than nothing and better than a cross bar type.

Last edited by John Shiels; 02-03-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Westwopper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that Phoenix does very good work. I have a street car that I do HPDE's with as well. I couldn't make it a total race car and think that a full cage in a street car isn't all that safe either so I had a 4pt put in by Piper in VA. The advantage of it over the kits is it fits nice and tight and is about the same price when you factor in shipping and install. Mine does not prevent me from moving my seat all the way back like some of the kits do, though my Kirkey is not movable anyway.

I do not suggest getting a "bolt in" kit. Think about what type of material you are bolting too. If you know "a little" about welding, now is not the time to practice.

PM me and I'll take some pics if you want.

Regards,
Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Time for a rollbar

Quick Reply: Time for a rollbar