Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJ gets a road course

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default NJ gets a road course

Englishtown, NJ home of raceway park announces that they have been approved for a 1.35 mile track. Although not huge it will be a good place for testing.

Here is the write-up:

http://www.ecsracing.com/ecsracing/showthread.php?t=137

Old 02-03-2007, 09:46 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thought they had one that was small or is it a kart track?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:59 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Englishtown has been trying to get that for years. Big problem with the old design (don't know if they redid it) is that you have two straights side by side and close. There is/was good chance a car would leave the track and be on the other leg in a couple of seconds.

BTW the VIR people are trying to do a track up in Jersey as well.

Nuts, all those years I lived in Jersey and had to travel all over and NOW they start building road courses.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:51 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Nice! What are the facilities like?
Old 02-03-2007, 11:59 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I go by that all the time. I thought it was a go-kart track. Doesn't look safe enough for cars, too close to the road, IMHO.

I guess if they improve the barriers it would work, but there's no run-off room from what I've seen.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Doug@ECS and I were looking at it yesterday and we were saying it was a cool track to practice on and then we started to notice how close everything was.

We thought without some good barriers we would not be going there.

There is till hope though and with the one by AC coming it might be good to live in NJ again
Old 02-03-2007, 02:49 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

At 1.35 mi. and 13 turns it's more permanent auto-x than road course. Even their websie say some of the turns could be considered two so make that 15-16 turns. Road course has been finished for 2 years but the town wouldn't give final approval because it is too close to Pension Road.

If you look at the in car video drive around, an off course has you going into a ditch at worst or steep drop off at best in some sections. Sucks that it's only a half hour from my house but I can't see me taking my car there.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:55 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
Doug@ECS and I were looking at it yesterday and we were saying it was a cool track to practice on and then we started to notice how close everything was.

There is till hope though and with the one by AC coming it might be good to live in NJ again
Old 02-04-2007, 08:56 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

www.njmotorsportspark.com 2008
Old 02-04-2007, 04:23 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel

It would be OK if you had 1 car on the course at a time, which is probably what they were thinking when they built it. I don't see 20 minutes sessions with other cars...no way. I was there last year at the dirt bike track and by accident drove our truck on it trying to get out of the park. There are places where turns were within 10-15 feet of eachother. Also there is no run-off and some of the corners are banked, which could be slightly dangerous to novice drivers going in too hot. I REALLY hate to be negative, but this one is bad news. Unfortunately this is a big auto-x course.

Wait until Thunderbolt is done. That will be Grand-Am/CART/ALMS spec course all the way...huge almost F1 quality run-off space over 100 acres. And for 100M, you'd hope so! That baby is 35 minutes from my house

Get notified of new replies

To NJ gets a road course

Quick Reply: NJ gets a road course