Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad shocks, need some advice for the budget (which Bilsteins)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 05:37 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad shocks, need some advice for the budget (which Bilsteins)

Well my budget has seen lots of fluctuations, but right now, we are sticking with Bilsteins.

The question is which ones.

The car:

1986 Coupe

-camber brace and S/T Frame

-stock springs
......Rear: 39.9 N/mm
......Front: 51.8 N/mm

-upgraded sway bars
.......Rear: 26mm Solid
.......Front: 30mm Solid

-tires
Currently Kuhmo Victoracers in the 275/315 but I also can run 315s all around on a 17" rim (and will try it on our clubs faster courses)

-brakes
C5 fronts w/ HP+ pads all around

The shocks are so far gone it is amazing I can still drive the thing. Now, I am on a budget so I am just looking at the different Bilstein variants. I am away from the car so I don't want to do the custom rebuild/valving option.

That leaves me with:

FE1 valved Bilsteins
Z51 valved Bilsteins
Ecklers Autocross Bilsteins
VBPs Xtreme Bilsteins

The car doesn't get driven on the street much and I just want to make it as competitive as possible since the price difference isn't big and I have to replace the current ones.

At first I would think either the sets of Auto-x or Xtremes but then I have read on here people running Xtremes front and z51 rear?

I am just looking for some opinions and hopefully experience. Like I said this is budget fun but I like to make well informed decisions.

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:56 PM
vettmike
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can find a spare set of shocks, install them and send your off to Bilstein to have rebuilt, give them the data you posted and they can valve them to suit your setup, make sure you include your weight.

I used to have the address and phone number for Bilstein, it takes about 10 to 14 days, maybe someone has the contact information.

vettmike
Old 02-04-2007, 06:40 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
Well my budget has seen lots of fluctuations, but right now, we are sticking with Bilsteins.

The question is which ones.

The car:

1986 Coupe

-camber brace and S/T Frame

-stock springs
......Rear: 39.9 N/mm
......Front: 51.8 N/mm

-upgraded sway bars
.......Rear: 26mm Solid
.......Front: 30mm Solid

-tires
Currently Kuhmo Victoracers in the 275/315 but I also can run 315s all around on a 17" rim (and will try it on our clubs faster courses)

-brakes
C5 fronts w/ HP+ pads all around

The shocks are so far gone it is amazing I can still drive the thing. Now, I am on a budget so I am just looking at the different Bilstein variants. I am away from the car so I don't want to do the custom rebuild/valving option.

That leaves me with:

FE1 valved Bilsteins
Z51 valved Bilsteins
Ecklers Autocross Bilsteins
VBPs Xtreme Bilsteins

The car doesn't get driven on the street much and I just want to make it as competitive as possible since the price difference isn't big and I have to replace the current ones.

At first I would think either the sets of Auto-x or Xtremes but then I have read on here people running Xtremes front and z51 rear?

I am just looking for some opinions and hopefully experience. Like I said this is budget fun but I like to make well informed decisions.

Thanks for your time.
call dougrippie.com
Old 02-04-2007, 06:50 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

I can't believe I forgot about DRM. I'll pm Randy.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:37 PM
speedj2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a used set of Bilstein (sears point valving) for an early C4...

These are really stiff and would be track use only... but they do wonders for a track day. I think that the front's are: 120/360 and the rears are 600/175.

I know that they switched the mounts... but I'm not sure what year. What does your front shack upper mount look like?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:52 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Yeah, I think that is probably a bit much for autocross valving, but I'm not sure.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
I can't believe I forgot about DRM. I'll pm Randy.

Thanks!

I'd be surprised if DRM actually replies to you. Randy didn't reply to a PM I sent last week, and DRM website sales didn't reply either when I've emailed asking about what they can sell me to go with FX3 shocks revalved by Bilstein.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry guys our computers have been messed up. We have 6 computers in the shop and not a single one seems to be working right I can't get e-mails, or get on the web. The DSL company thinks its the wireless, the wireless company thinks its the DSL company or the computers. The computer guys are too busy. This last week has been like hell. Plus it's about -19 degrees out too I won a ice race this weekend that was about the only thing good that happened all week.

Well it's a new week, Monday night at 10:00 pm at home.

USAsOnlyWay, The best thing on your wallet would be to send in your shocks for a rebuild-revalve. This can be done pretty cheaply and sometimes fast turn around time. This is the best time of the year to have work done. In March you will be waiting! If your old shocks need a shaft then you are better off replacing the whole shock. Shocks are 90 a piece and the revalve is 80. So for 320 you can get your shocks ready for the new session. With the extra cash you can buy tires, gas, other go fast goodies for your car!. What to run for valving??? (edit I just saw that you are away from your car) I think the Z07 had a pretty good valving I will double check in the AM. I would go with the stiffest stock valving. Or I maybe have some cores around the shop that we could swap out, I will dig around in our old shock box in the AM. Best to call me???|

Barbara_S
The FX3 shocks have many different options. We have about a million different files in the cabinet. The only problem with the FX3 shock shafts is the seal inside them, Bilstein replaces them to prevent leakage. This puts the cost up to the point of buying new FX3 shocks. The cost of buying new stock FX3 shocks is the same as a valved non FX3.

I will try to get the computers up soon!!!
Randy
763-477-9272 shop 9am to 5pm ( I have picked up the phone at 10 pm)
763-227-8379 cell
I am up early and to bed late
Old 02-06-2007, 12:17 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Awesome Randy! Thanks for the reply, I will definitely have to give you a call. I hope I don't need a shaft as 320$ is right at the sweet spot of what I want to spend.

I'll talk to you soon and thanks for the reply.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad shocks, need some advice for the budget (which Bilsteins)

Quick Reply: Bad shocks, need some advice for the budget (which Bilsteins)