Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corner balanceing a C4? NE One done this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Corner balanceing a C4? NE One done this?

For years now people have had problems with the C4 being a different height or stance as one side is higher than the other. So, people have used the rear lowering bolts to adjust the rear ride height to make both sides look the same, so the car doesn't look lopsided.
Now, does this adjustment of the rear leaf spring cause one side to have less spring load and affect the handling?
And there was also discussion of pre-loading the sway bar( http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=ride+height ) to assist in the height adjustment in the rear bu shimming up the mounting bracket.DOes this also affect the handling?

PS, the reason I ask is I have done the longer bolts and adjusted the rear to get the same height on the left and right, and i noticed that my left rear tire was rubbing the inner fenderwell after this past autocrossing I did. The side that was hitting was raised to get both sides equal, which I think would have tightened the leaf spring. But my 180 lb butt probably had something to do with it.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently paid $180 to corner weight my car. Mine has heim jointed end links on the sway bars and is lowered in the rear only(I have an RD cross frame that scrapes every bump in the road.) I couldn't tell you if the car is better because I have not taken it to the track yet(next Monday) but I doubt I would spend my hard earned money on this exercise again. The changes in terms of percentage crossweight appear pretty insignificant. The Corvette is either reasonably well balanced to start with or the range of adjustability without coilovers is very small. The maximum weight change on any given corner was 11 pounds. The cross weight did end up as 49.96%(LF&RR) and 50.04%(RF&LR) but it started out as 50.48%(LF&RR) and 49.52%(RF&LR.) There was virtually no change in front to rear or side to side weight distribution. All measurments were with driver weight included. I have not measured the ride height on all 4 corners.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:36 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

you need to shim the front springs, as they aren't adjustable. Also, heims would be required as stated above. With any car, the frame is never truly "square", nor are the body panels, so you have to reach a comprimise between getting the car mechanically balanced, and getting it to "look" balanced and level.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:42 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Vette Brakes makes and adjustable front spring. Check and see if you can run it in your class.

Get notified of new replies

To Corner balanceing a C4? NE One done this?

Quick Reply: Corner balanceing a C4? NE One done this?