Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:06 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Seats

I need a little seat advice.

I have a C6, I like going to the occasional HPDE and I really need a good seat. I am a little tired of holding myself in with my feet, elbows, etc.

Dont know whether to go with a seat I RnR each time or leave in full time.

Car is not my daily but if I did change the seats for full time, I would still like adjustability and nice design for looks as well.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Race seats are a pain in the butt to get in and out of when casually driving the car. Some of them look cool, but they will definitely depart from the stock leather look.

I got tired of taking mine in and out of my Z16 and I just started leaving it in all the time. Once I was in the car I liked the snug secure fit. My wife hated it and stopped driving the car. She called it a grown-up baby seat.

A couple of other things to consider for a budding track rat like you:
  1. You will need to get seat rails that support to use of an OEM set belt on the right hand side. Corbeau makes seat rails that slide for around $80. Then you will need to transfer over your right hand side buckle or buy a new one.
  2. Any race seat you get is going to be a fixed back. At best it will slide fore and aft. The Corbeau does this marginally.
  3. The lap belt will ride over the top of the seat bolsters and ride rather high compared to OEM belt/seat set-ups. It will not hold you at the pelvis which is the safer design criteria.
  4. To really hold yourself on the track you will need a harness system, too.

Adding the seat and harness will cure your complaints. It did for me. A whole Corbeau set-up can be had for about $300. It is not a top of the line seat, but it works well in a stock car and it is a good entry point. I set many Fast Times of Day with that set-up in the Z16.

Quick Reply: Seats