Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kumho ECSTA MX vs. MX XRP ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Donn Malwick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kumho ECSTA MX vs. MX XRP ??

I will be purchasing (and mounting on a spare set of wheels) a set of Kumho ECSTA either the run-flat (MX XRP)or non-run-flat (MX) for autocross and due to class and need to drive to the events (100-300 miles) would like to know if there is any performance advantage or disadvantage to the run flat vs. the non-run flat other than cost. Was wondering if suspension originally designed for run-flats, if others have had any issues autocrossing non-run-flats. My car is a 2001, 6speed convertible with F-45 adjsutable suspension. At this time the Kumhos will be used only when autocrossing as my stock no stick F1-GS-EMTs have many miles left in them for street use but are not the hot ticket for autocrosses. Also if any have run these tires is there a difference in pressures for MX vs. MX XRP for autocross?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

For autocross you probably will be better off with the Non Run Flat. Any run flat tire is going to have stiffer sidewalls than the non run flat version of the same tire. The stiffer sidewalls will reduce cornering ability to some degree.

Bill
Old 02-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

extra rotating mass that you don't need.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:48 PM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancer033
extra rotating mass that you don't need.

The non run flats will be lighter in weight. We run them on all our school cars and they have good grip for a street tire. Very predictable and consistent tire! Since you won't have a chance to heat them up by doing several runs before, I would suggest starting pressure at 30 to 32psi. Maybe some of you autocross experts can chime in.

Get notified of new replies

To Kumho ECSTA MX vs. MX XRP ??

Quick Reply: Kumho ECSTA MX vs. MX XRP ??