Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road America video?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Default Road America video?

Does anyone have any that I can download? I had some downloaded but lost a hard drive. I do an HPDE day there in the spring and fall, I was watching the videos to remember the track. I can't wait to get back out! C4's in the vids would be nice!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Todd Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your PM
Old 02-09-2007, 09:00 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

www.tracktapes.com

I have tons of it on DVD. Let me know. wtknght1@aol.com
Old 02-09-2007, 09:47 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Aaron,
I have a couple of vid's that I could make DVD's of, shoot me an e-mail and we can meet up. I of them I even spin!! (turn 8). Let me know.

Joel
Old 02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Joel, I'll trade you a home brew for the vid of you spinning! But, only if you stop calling me Aaron!
Old 02-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whew!! I'm glad you got some good responses here!! I thought you all might have to suffer through me and my searches! LOL

The DVD's that wtknght1 has via tracktapes.com look interesting too! Can I ask you to describe a little more about what would be covered during the approx 2 hours you talk about?

OK I'm gonna make you all suffer anyway. Here's what Road Am videos I found on google, youtube, and trackpedia. Of course you have to take some of these with a grain of salt.

An interesting group of vids I thought of (and I'm sorry it may be a bit OT) are some of those from the usually fastest car/driver out there, Bruce. He's got the Mustang Cobra R and now the Shelby GT500 (Marv from the Milwaukee area, you all may know him, has touched at least his R with a bit of his magic too). Anyway since Bruce teases so much about beating Vettes, espcecially Z06's (he's totally kidding and a totally nice guy), I thought we could look at his vids for maybe some tips! LOL His streetfire.net collection and on where he's doing a couple of laps in the GT500 following in places--nice to be able to see where the car ahead brakes!

PS I did actually get a chance to drive an '03 Mustang Cobra for two sessions last yr when it's owner VERY generously let me after My Vette had a problem. Anyway besides being higher up and giving you that kick in the *** a split second after you stomp on it when the supercharger comes on, it wasn't that hard to drive or different from my Vette (kudo's to the owners set-up).

Sorry I went on so long here--must be cabin fever!
Old 02-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Thanks for the links!
Old 02-09-2007, 08:47 PM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Does anyone have any that I can download? I had some downloaded but lost a hard drive. I do an HPDE day there in the spring and fall, I was watching the videos to remember the track. I can't wait to get back out! C4's in the vids would be nice!
Lot of videos around. Just remember, all the right hand corners are fast and the lefts are slower. It is a great place but cool it at "The KinK".
Old 02-10-2007, 05:14 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z06 Whisperer
The DVD's that wtknght1 has via tracktapes.com look interesting too! Can I ask you to describe a little more about what would be covered during the approx 2 hours you talk about?
Sure. Most of the videos I have are already formatted and copied on a DVD for you, so all you have to do is pop them into a DVD player and you can watch them on your TV...or your computer if you like.

There are a lot of videos out there on youtube, etc., but the biggest advantage to mine is that it's from race winning drivers, pro instructors, etc. Most of the DVDs I sell are from my races and most have wins, and virtually all are well over 2 hours in length. My Road America DVD is from David Farmer...during World Challenge events. Dave's a member of the forum, an instructor and a helluva driver - smooth, fast and does the correct line. I've done Road America, but at the time didn't video it...so he sent me his.

Again, you don't have to download anything...just pop the DVD in your player and off you go. The only downside is that I charge $20 for the service.

Let me know if you're interested. wtknght1@aol.com
Old 02-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

wtknght1,
Thank you for taking the time to provide me with the additional information about your DVD's especially the RA one!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Originally Posted by DANNOV
Lot of videos around. Just remember, all the right hand corners are fast and the lefts are slower. It is a great place but cool it at "The KinK".
OK now realize that I'm kidding a bit when I ask you this (or anyone else out there who want to answer) and don't feel like you all have to confess, but do you lift or brake in the kink? This is a running debate I have going a couple of people.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:07 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

OK now realize that I'm kidding a bit when I ask you this (or anyone else out there who want to answer) and don't feel like you all have to confess, but do you lift or brake in the kink?
wouldn`t that depend on your lap speed??
...redvetracr
Old 02-11-2007, 06:58 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

OK now realize that I'm kidding a bit when I ask you this (or anyone else out there who want to answer) and don't feel like you all have to confess, but do you lift or brake in the kink? This is a running debate I have going a couple of people.
I lift, but certainly don't brake in a C5 Z06.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Originally Posted by redvetracr
wouldn`t that depend on your lap speed??
...redvetracr
How about a lift doing 2:35
Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 PM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

It is all for fun, no reason to take chances at the Kink. I brake slightly at the Kink. If you just lift, the thought may occur to just keep the pedal down on the next lap, i.e. I made it OK so lets just go faster! This is not a spot to test the limits of the car or driver, especially if it is just a DE event. No prizes here for fast laps, only monetary penalities for destroying your car.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Originally Posted by DANNOV
It is all for fun, no reason to take chances at the Kink. I brake slightly at the Kink. If you just lift, the thought may occur to just keep the pedal down on the next lap, i.e. I made it OK so lets just go faster! This is not a spot to test the limits of the car or driver, especially if it is just a DE event. No prizes here for fast laps, only monetary penalities for destroying your car.
I can understand that! I think it really does depend on what car you are driving, the set-up, track conditions and the like. For me driving a C5 Z06 also, it just seems to upset the car less to lift rather then brake, but that's just me and my preference. The other 2 drivers I've discussed this with have different types of cars and do brake lightly, so I may very well be in the minority!!
Old 02-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I just lift there, if my car had a lot more power then I might need to brake there. Just curious, what is your speed in the kink?

Get notified of new replies

To Road America video?

Old 02-11-2007, 10:34 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

How about a lift doing 2:35
do you consider a 2:35 fast??
...redvetracr
Old 02-12-2007, 09:13 AM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I just lift there, if my car had a lot more power then I might need to brake there. Just curious, what is your speed in the kink?
I have no idea what my speed is through the kink. I drive the Porsche Boxster S at RA and it does not have a HUD. This is one place where my eyes are glued to the track and I don't have the courage to take my eyes off the road and glance at the tach.

But, coming out of the Carousel I am at 6500 rpm in 3rd gear which is about 95 mph in my car, I upshift to 4th ASAP after the Carousel. Acording to the track map it is 1293' from the end of the Carousel to the middle of the Kink. My Porsche acceleration poops out at over 100 mph so I would guess I am at about 110 mph, maybe 115 mph. At the approach to the Kink I just touch the brake slightly.

For those who have never driven RA, please take note that you don't brake or lift at the KInk to slow down, as you would at a normal corner. The objective is to achieve a slight weight transfer to the front wheels in order to negotiate the corner at high speed. A slight braking or lifting only slows you down slightly.

Because your car is accelerating strongly out of the Carousel, you approach the Kink with the car in a slight "nose up" position with weight transfered to the rear. If you go through the corner without braking or lifting, there is a danger of understeering through the corner and you could experience difficulty in keeping the car ontrack at the exit. Some people panic here and brake or lift in the corner just beyond the apex. If you spin here there are walls close in on both sides.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:23 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

During the MFBA HSDE last Oct the "kink" was closed. ''

I was WOT in 4th approacing turn 11, and down shifting to 3rd. I think in April I'm going to try 4th gear into and out of 11. I kept bumping into my rev limiter a couple of hundred feet before the turn in 3rd.

It's all for fun and learning, so I'll try different approaches in April.

Tom

Last edited by AFVETTE; 02-12-2007 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Road America video?