Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Rule Changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:47 AM
mcintex
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Tire Rule Changes

If you remember a few months ago I posted a thread about the local DE group notifying me two weeks before the event that they would be requiring all non-solo drivers to use DOT tires (no R compounds). They backed off the requirement when I asked how I could react that quickly.

Fast forward to today. The rules are in place for 2007. Here are the new rules:

Non-solo Green and Blue drivers - drivers who have not been solo approved.

Vehicle must be currently Registered and Street Legal.
Vehicle must be currently insured.
Vehicle must have Approved Street Tires with V, W, Y or Z speed ratings.
Tires must have a tread wear rating of 100 and above.
Guideline is if it has less than a tread wear rating of 100 it is prohibited for Green and Blue non solo drivers. Tread wear rating is located on the side of tire or manufacture specs. for that tire.

Exceptions: UNLESS said tires are OEM for said specific car.

I have not been happy with most tires that I used for autox or the last DE event. What tire meets the above requirements does everyone here prefer?

Thanks.
Cliff
Old 02-10-2007, 09:55 AM
dmwhite
Racer

Originally Posted by mcintex
Non-solo Green and Blue drivers - drivers who have not been solo approved.

Vehicle must be currently Registered and Street Legal.
Vehicle must be currently insured.
Vehicle must have Approved Street Tires with V, W, Y or Z speed ratings.
Tires must have a tread wear rating of 100 and above.
Guideline is if it has less than a tread wear rating of 100 it is prohibited for Green and Blue non solo drivers. Tread wear rating is located on the side of tire or manufacture specs. for that tire.

Exceptions: UNLESS said tires are OEM for said specific car.
i don't really agree with the requirement of the car being street legal, registered, and insured...some people buy/build race/track cars to start doing DE's with and they may not be street legal....

but, i don't see a problem with the tire requirements...
Old 02-11-2007, 09:57 PM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

What DE group is this? TDE? Apex? Doesn't sound like anything I'm aware of.

That said, it might not be a bad idea. An awful lot of folks who come out for DE's for the first time on R comps haven't learned basics of car control and expect the sticky tires to make up for that. They over-drive both the car and their own abilities and end up causing delays and lost track time for the other participants while we clean up their mess. Running on street tires limits grip and forces better/earlier braking and better lines which, with experience, will produce better results once they have enough experience to move up to R comps.

Sticky tires can't make up for bad driving, it just makes the mistakes more dangerous for everyone. Not to say you're in that category, just to explain why the DE group you run with may have taken the position on tires they did.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:05 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see what is so bad about that rule either. It really shouldn't take you that long to get signed off for solo. So what it you run 6-10 events with street tires. That's about a season.

What about GY Supercars, Falken Azenis RT-615, BFG KD, or Kumho MX?

If you really want to get around their rules and still have an r compound you can use Toyo RA1, Nitto R2 or NT01. 100 tread wear rated. Very popular tires for track. Work very well.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 PM
mcintex
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I guess I'll repeat the statement I made in the last thread on this topic. I do NOT have a problem with the rule.

What I am asking is what is a good tire for DEs that still complies with the rule?

I am thinking about Toyos.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Rule Changes

Quick Reply: Tire Rule Changes