Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you not recommend a person(novice) to run R compunds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:18 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Why would you not recommend a person(novice) to run R compunds?

Just curious , it seems very common for folks to recommend to run whatever you have prior to running good autocross tires? Why, if you go to the drag strip, street tires arent the best to get your best ET?
Also, if you have a very modified car, with a pretty stout chassis etc, good tires are the best way around a track?
Just a thought?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:25 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

R tires are less forgiving and it's harder to learn car control, you will learn to be faster quicker on street tires
Old 02-12-2007, 10:32 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Sorta like learning to drive in the snow or on a dirt road before hitting a dry road?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40th
Sorta like learning to drive in the snow or on a dirt road before hitting a dry road?
Exactly. Also, the street tires will make all sorts of noises before letting loose...the Rs will just let loose without any auditory warning once you pass the limits.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not exactly. Street tires tend to give you some warning before they let go, and do it rather predictably. You start to feel that you are losing grip and can correct for it. With R compound tires, like slicks, you are either sticking or you're gone. They don't give you a warning that you are about to let go. And because they grip more, by the time they do let go, you are probably beyond being able to control what is going to happen if your really are a rookie.

If you are just getting started on the track, get the feel of the car first. Figure out how it handles, get the feeling of what its like to have the tires on the edge of letting go. Learn to control yourself and the car. Then, when you move up to race tires, you'll be able to handle them without the risk of having them let go beyond your ability to react and save your butt.

p.s. Use competitive mode until you learn to drive well on the track. You may not be able to react quickly enough to save your butt, but active handling will.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:46 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Not exactly. Street tires tend to give you some warning before they let go, and do it rather predictably. You start to feel that you are losing grip and can correct for it. With R compound tires, like slicks, you are either sticking or you're gone. They don't give you a warning that you are about to let go. And because they grip more, by the time they do let go, you are probably beyond being able to control what is going to happen if your really are a rookie.

If you are just getting started on the track, get the feel of the car first. Figure out how it handles, get the feeling of what its like to have the tires on the edge of letting go. Learn to control yourself and the car. Then, when you move up to race tires, you'll be able to handle them without the risk of having them let go beyond your ability to react and save your butt.

p.s. Use competitive mode until you learn to drive well on the track. You may not be able to react quickly enough to save your butt, but active handling will.
That makes sense.
Now I have competetive mode on my C4, its called ASR off.
I think my new BFG KD's will be good then, instead of Kumhos etc.

Last edited by steve40th; 02-12-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:05 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That makes sense.
Now I have competetive mode on my C4, its called ASR off.
I think my new BFG KD's will be good then, instead of Kumhos etc.
BFG's will be great. The real issue here is that the car handles the same. Street tires just get you sliding at lower speeds. So it's like learning in slow motion. Sure, you'll go around the track faster on R tires on your first day but you won't be going faster based on your skill level. My mom could probably go around pretty fast on R tires. Plus, your instructor will probably feel better about it too.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
BFG's will be great. The real issue here is that the car handles the same. Street tires just get you sliding at lower speeds. So it's like learning in slow motion. Sure, you'll go around the track faster on R tires on your first day but you won't be going faster based on your skill level. My mom could probably go around pretty fast on R tires. Plus, your instructor will probably feel better about it too.
Almost all DEs STRONGLY recommend that Novice to Intermediate level students learn and drive on street tires. Some DEs wont allow any students on R compounds at all.

When a student can learn great lines and car control on street tires, then the transition makes it easery and safter.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:26 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing wrong with Toyo RA1s as a compromise: very decent autocross tire, very decent for HPDEs, assuming your local clubs allow it.

If you make any progress at all in autocross, you'll want to be competitive for the simple enjoyment of it, so while you might not want to make the leap to a true, heat cycling r-compound, the RA1s could be very appealing.

When you autocross, turn off all the electronics. They'll ruin your times and interfere with your learning the car's limits. On the track, leave the electronics on and see if you can be smooth enough that they don't activate more than once or twice an event.

Anyhow, that's my experience. YMMV.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 AM
dmwhite
Racer

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Exactly. Also, the street tires will make all sorts of noises before letting loose...the Rs will just let loose without any auditory warning once you pass the limits.
not true in my experiences with r-comps...i've found that toyo and hoosier R-comps give plenty of audible feedback...imo, RA1's are just really really good street tires and hoosiers are even better

now, most true slicks (not dot-R's) will let go with much less warning...
Old 02-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I would also add a $$ reasons into it. What's the point in going out and spend several hundred to several thousand dollars for wheels/tires when that money would be much better spent on more track time & it's one less thing (changing tires) to worry about for you first few times out.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:26 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I ran KD's for a few seasons. IMHO, they are one of the best dual purpose street tires.

I run R-compounds and won't go back mostly because of the cost difference between scrubs and new KD's.

Get notified of new replies

To Why would you not recommend a person(novice) to run R compunds?

Quick Reply: Why would you not recommend a person(novice) to run R compunds?