Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J55's Really are Worthless

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default J55's Really are Worthless

After spending the last three years band-aiding these brakes(cooling ducts, SS pistons, Motul 600, air deflectors) I finally had brake failure at Laguna Seca today when the caliper spread to such an extent that the pistons extended to a degree that I lost fluid. My first indication was extreme outside pad taper that wore a new pad to the backing plate in two sessions. When I changed the pad, the pistons didn't seem entirely perpendicular to the rotor. Luckily, I did turn a 1:48.4 before the brakes packed it up. No damage was done other than a blistered finger from changing pads, I shoved the pistons back in, put in new pads and drove it with a very soft pedal home 100 miles. I only wish I had gone the Wilwood route three years ago.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:22 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sidney004
After spending the last three years band-aiding these brakes(cooling ducts, SS pistons, Motul 600, air deflectors) I finally had brake failure at Laguna Seca today when the caliper spread to such an extent that the pistons extended to a degree that I lost fluid. My first indication was extreme outside pad taper that wore a new pad to the backing plate in two sessions. When I changed the pad, the pistons didn't seem entirely perpendicular to the rotor. Luckily, I did turn a 1:48.4 before the brakes packed it up. No damage was done other than a blistered finger from changing pads, I shoved the pistons back in, put in new pads and drove it with a very soft pedal home 100 miles. I only wish I had gone the Wilwood route three years ago.
My J55's did the same spread. They are pathetic in hard braking. I went with Wilwood GNIII/ST's but am STILL waiting on parts.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
I went with Wilwood GNIII/ST's but am STILL waiting on parts.
What is on backorder and what is the story behind this?

Old 02-14-2007, 10:19 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

You can put reinforcing rods in the calipers. Also run plates, either old pad backing and or heat sheilds to keep the pistons retracted. But if you run the brakes hard, you should really upgrade. The C5 calipers are far superior at a low cost. The Wilwood GN isnt pretty, but are the best for the cost. Awesome 1 3/8" rotors. It only important to have them at the front if cost is a concern. I think the SL6 is also available thats a bit superior.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:19 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

What are J55?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:25 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
What are J55?
Heavy duty brake package on a few years prior to ZR1, then standard on ZR1.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:32 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

What pads are you using? Perhaps a more aggressive track pad will allow you to use less pedal pressure for amount of braking force.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:56 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Are the calipers original equipment? Over the years, the stress placed on them could have caused a gradual tapering and they finally got too wide to work.

I replace my stock C4 calipers every three years to avoid problems. But I agree that going to a C5 caliper setup would be a big improvement and at a lower cost than Wildwood or race-specific equipment. Some tracks are much harder on brakes so that has to be taken into account too.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:09 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

The J55's are a good street and autocross caliper. Light weight for the stopping power. But, they really start showing their limits at long track sessions.

The C5's are better, but they're still a sliding caliper design.
You're really better off with the Wilwoods.

The funny thing is the C3's came with 4pot calipers.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:17 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

was that the standard J55's or the GS calipers??
I run the GS calipers, and never had a problem.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:32 PM
fmrfast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
You can put reinforcing rods in the calipers. Also run plates, either old pad backing and or heat sheilds to keep the pistons retracted. But if you run the brakes hard, you should really upgrade. The C5 calipers are far superior at a low cost. The Wilwood GN isnt pretty, but are the best for the cost. Awesome 1 3/8" rotors. It only important to have them at the front if cost is a concern. I think the SL6 is also available thats a bit superior.
The rods help, DRM did that years ago.
The SL6 is superior, unfortunately after contacting Wilwood they told me for a C4 you can only fit the 1.10 rotor under that caliper. 1.10 is the stock J55 size... not much of a heat sync. I think the 1 3/8 rotor is the better way to go with the GNIII caliper just not sure how much modification is needed for it to fit. Now if you can get the 1 3/8 under the SL6 That I would at least consider.
Another consideration is the less known Brakeman set up which I heard some good things about, the system uses a 4 piston caliper which has a Cro-moly bridge connecting the 2 aluminum 1/2s. 1 3/8 rotor also can be had for the C4 even though not listed on the web page. The steel will not spread therefore the calipers do not use differential size pistons, just 4 large pistons. Aluminum will start to spread at anything over 500 degrees I beleive, therefore the need for the different size pistons in the SL6.... it prevents pad taper.
Some "A" sedan & guys run Brakeman & love them! Some Northeast Iron Guys picked the brakeman over the Wilwood & Brembo. At $2,700.00 its not cheap. Anyone using brakeman set up for racing a C4?
Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by fmrfast; 02-14-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:00 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by larryfs
was that the standard J55's or the GS calipers??
I run the GS calipers, and never had a problem.
We pound the crap out of our car and GS brakes work very well.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:40 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

It was a J55 using KFP Purple race pads. It had about 4 or 5 events on it. Previously, I had GS calipers on it, which lasted 3 years(20+ events) but eventually the pad taper became excessive and consumed too many expensive pads. Any pictures of the reinforcing rods? Also, how do install pad backings with new pads; aren't the pistons fully retracted? I wanted to burn through my inventory of race pads before ditching this setup. Thanks for all the input.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:13 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

maybe you need a more agressive pad ????
more agressive pad = less pedal force = less strain on caliper.
at least in theory................. just more heat into the rotor.

try the GS calipers with a more serious pad, like PF01's.... Many have been sucessful with the GS setup.

It would actually be more cost effective to buy GS calipers every 3 years than a major brake upgrade.

(I never heard of that purple pad)

Last edited by larryfs; 02-14-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

I agree Larry, but those GS calipers are hard to find and pricey. If I can find a used set that were street driven, I would gladly go back to the GS's. The KFP Purples are a carbon-kevlar race pad but I don't know what the CF is. I bought 10 sets off a former Corvette Challenge racer for $40 a piece. I actually have some PFC 83's and 93's as well as Hawk blue's in my stash. I was planning to use them when I polished off my Purples. Any spare calipers Larry?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Buy NEW GS calipers. DONE, move on to something else........

https://www.superchevyperformance.co...les.asp?ID=123

I really have zero trouble with the GS setup. You've seen the extent of the pad taper personally. The biggest problem is the price of the C4 rotors are $45 each now, otherwise I have no complaints.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:24 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fmrfast
The rods help, DRM did that years ago.
The SL6 is superior, unfortunately after contacting Wilwood they told me for a C4 you can only fit the 1.10 rotor under that caliper. 1.10 is the stock J55 size... not much of a heat sync. I think the 1 3/8 rotor is the better way to go with the GNIII caliper just not sure how much modification is needed for it to fit. Now if you can get the 1 3/8 under the SL6 That I would at least consider.
Another consideration is the less known Brakeman set up which I heard some good things about, the system uses a 4 piston caliper which has a Cro-moly bridge connecting the 2 aluminum 1/2s. 1 3/8 rotor also can be had for the C4 even though not listed on the web page. The steel will not spread therefore the calipers do not use differential size pistons, just 4 large pistons. Aluminum will start to spread at anything over 500 degrees I beleive, therefore the need for the different size pistons in the SL6.... it prevents pad taper.
Some "A" sedan & guys run Brakeman & love them! Some Northeast Iron Guys picked the brakeman over the Wilwood & Brembo. At $2,700.00 its not cheap. Anyone using brakeman set up for racing a C4?
Decisions, decisions.
I posted the question about 1.25" and 1.375" rotors with the SL6 caliper in another post but never got an answer. It was on my list of things to do today, but you answered them here. So the SL6 is basically useless with a 1.1" rotor and not recommended by me.

Get notified of new replies

To J55's Really are Worthless

Old 02-15-2007, 09:47 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sidney004
It was a J55 using KFP Purple race pads. It had about 4 or 5 events on it. Previously, I had GS calipers on it, which lasted 3 years(20+ events) but eventually the pad taper became excessive and consumed too many expensive pads. Any pictures of the reinforcing rods? Also, how do install pad backings with new pads; aren't the pistons fully retracted? I wanted to burn through my inventory of race pads before ditching this setup. Thanks for all the input.
I was thinking your on street pads based on your wear results. Not familiar with KFP pads, but I know PFC 01 pads wouldnt wear like that. Keep in mind, the more aggressive pads create more heat. Thats somthing a stock caliper and rotor wont handle when hammered on a long track on a hot day.
No pics of the rods, but I know someone out there will have them. Backing plates and heat shields get installed as you wear the pads, not in when new. Theres no room when new. They take up the wear keeping the pistons back and also serve as a heat barrier.
A GS caliper is marginally better than the J55 and not recommended. Especially after you results with the J55. Why did you go from GS to J55?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:06 AM
stairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check with Gary at Hardbar, he was working on the 1-3/8 rotor and the
SL6R caliper, if anyone knows he will.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:16 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

SS pistons in the calipers will help with heat dissipation as well.

Al

Quick Reply: J55's Really are Worthless