Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not buy a T-1 car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why not buy a T-1 car?

I've been AutoXing and doing track days for 3 years now with a mostly stock C5 coupe and have been wanting a little more performance out of it so I've got this great idea for how to modify it to be the ultimate track rat, but I keep thinking that when it's all done, I'll have a chopped up C5, that would be a blast for track days but not worth much else, so my plan has just sat as a file on the computer waiting on me to make up my mind

on the other hand, I could just put it back to stock, do a little paint work, sell it and buy a T-1 C5, have a car that's sorted out and ready to go and just drive the wheels off it. It'd be legal for ASP autoX (previously I was thinking either SM2 or XP) and I could use it for NASA TT and maybe eventually T1 or and equavelant NASA class.

I've got a reliable (knock on wood) daily driver, so that's not a problem and the only time I use the vette on the street is for occasional weekend fun which I don't see why I could still do that in a T-1 car.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:55 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That would be your best bet to do. Put the old C5 back to street and sell it and buy a Sorted T1 car. They are much cheaper to buy done than to try and build one yourself. I bought Jeff Robbins 2003 T1 Z06 and I can use it for SCCA,NASA,NCCC and what ever else I want.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:06 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Absolutely - buy one that's already been done. You'll save a ton of money and hassle and have a road course rocket that's reliable and relatively easy to work on.

Come on into T1 with us...we'd love to have you!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll thrice that!

That's exactly what I did and for the exact reasons Chris and Aaron said!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

On the same note, would you ya'll shy away from a salvage title T-1 car like you would for a street car or would it not matter?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:02 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

A salvage titled car used as a race car is not a problem. My current ride is one, and I have not had any issues.

It is important (IMO) to find out how the car was "salvaged." Flood cars I would stay away from; wrecked maybe not.

Remember, a T1 car is still a race car. Yes, you could drive it on the street. But with the lack of emmissions equipment (new rule for 2007), a rollcage and race seat, no DOT-legal seat belts, etc, a T1 car is not the hot ticket for the street.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

David, did you get my PM?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:59 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

David is absolutely correct - no problem at all. In fact, a salvaged car is probably preferable to be honest, as long as the frame and the rest of the car is true and straight.

If you have a salvaged car, you can take it down to the frame easier and eliminate the extra weight - excess padding, caulking, sound deadening, nuts and bolts, etc. Whatever you save weight-wise could be used in other parts of the car (frame) to make it more balanced. A better balanced car is generally a faster car! I wish I had bought a prepared car instead of trying to build mine from a showroom car. Live and learn!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:29 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Lancer033
On the same note, would you ya'll shy away from a salvage title T-1 car like you would for a street car or would it not matter?
Are you looking at the one Phoenix has on his web site?
Just wondering as I looked at it, and the salvage title worried me also.
Tim
Old 02-13-2007, 05:43 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TmillerC5
Tim
For a race car, who cares as long as the frame is straight.

Many times frames from the factory are considared straight, but are still with in +/- 1/8" side to side and up and down. That is a lot of variation.

Not a bad Idea to have the frame checked on a used car anyway. I would not be suprised if race shops straight ALL frames, even if it has not been in a crash or had part of the frame replaced.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:44 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a great experience with mine.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:31 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Tim
It is fair to say that if it is being sold by Phoenix Performance, you don't have to worry about it. Salvage title or not.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I did talk talk to Joe, I am looking very close at the 99 he's got. The big thing for me to get over is that I'll have to sell my car and I won't have anything to play on the street with anymore. I'll have to do some serious soul searching before I pull the trigger.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:57 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

I did talk talk to Joe, I am looking very close at the 99 he's got. The big thing for me to get over is that I'll have to sell my car and I won't have anything to play on the street with anymore. I'll have to do some serious soul searching before I pull the trigger.
AHHH that is my delima also. I am looking at the 99 also but probably won't pull the trigger right now. Joe said it was a total car so no flood or water type damage.
A friend of mine and I are thinking about selling both our cars and doing something like the T1 route. I still would like something for the street. No rush though.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

AHHH that is my delima also. I am looking at the 99 also but probably won't pull the trigger right now. Joe said it was a total car so no flood or water type damage.
A friend of mine and I are thinking about selling both our cars and doing something like the T1 route. I still would like something for the street. No rush though.

I am looking at that car too! But still saving $$
Old 02-13-2007, 09:20 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Did you say a 99? Ask him if it was the car I drove at Nelson Ledges! If so, it's a real good car. I drove it one time, never saw it until the day before the race, qualified on the pole, and led flag to flag. I don't think there is anything "special" about the car 'cept it the details that make all the difference.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:00 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

"on the other hand, I could just put it back to stock, do a little paint work, sell it and buy a T-1 C5, have a car that's sorted out and ready to go and just drive the wheels off it. It'd be legal for ASP autoX (previously I was thinking either SM2 or XP) and I could use it for NASA TT and maybe eventually T1 or and equavelant NASA class"

This is not only the "best" way, but actually the only way for a newbie to go racing on a budget. Any other way is called "financial suicide".

Get notified of new replies

To Why not buy a T-1 car?

Old 02-13-2007, 10:34 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Here is a link to the videos about the 99 FRC in question. I bet the car in my video is the one Joe has for sale. Buy it!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1618663
Old 02-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Here is a link to the videos about the 99 FRC in question. I bet the car in my video is the one Joe has for sale. Buy it!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1618663
its times like this when i feel i should have not bought the c6...but i love having the c6 on the street...solution is street vette, track vette I just hope a great car like this is around when I am ready to buy later this year.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 AM
TmillerC5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Did you say a 99? Ask him if it was the car I drove at Nelson Ledges! If so, it's a real good car. I drove it one time, never saw it until the day before the race, qualified on the pole, and led flag to flag. I don't think there is anything "special" about the car 'cept it the details that make all the difference.
I think that is what Joe had said. Looks like he has a few folks intrested. Good luck to all.

Quick Reply: Why not buy a T-1 car?