Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA tire question....I know it's a shot in the dark

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:22 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Default NASA tire question....I know it's a shot in the dark

I was reading the rules and it states you can get a credit for a smaller tire, for TTA they only allow a 295 without assessing points. Is that an average or max?

Say I run a 275 up front and a 315 in the rear the average is 295

Any chance that will fly
Old 02-14-2007, 03:28 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't think so, I'm pretty sure its the max width of your tires... I have a C5 coupe and want to use a set of Z06 wheels with that size tire and I get hammered on points. Since I start in TTB* with a 265 tire size
Old 02-14-2007, 03:33 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the NASA forums, they spelled this all out somewhere on there......I am glad I am only worrying about pwr/wt.......I may do a TTA car sometime @ Mid-Ohio though.

Nice job @ CMP Ken......I was sifting through the results last night
Old 02-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
I was reading the rules and it states you can get a credit for a smaller tire, for TTA they only allow a 295 without assessing points. Is that an average or max?

Say I run a 275 up front and a 315 in the rear the average is 295

Any chance that will fly
I don't think that dog will hunt.

"TTA: 295 mm, TTB: 255mm, TTC: 245mm, TTD: 235mm, TTE: 225mm,
TTF: 205mm, TTG: 185mm, TTH: 165mm
Increased tire width beyond that listed above (using the largest increase of front or rear if
using split sizes) will be assessed as follows:
Equal to or greater than: 10mm +1, 20mm +4, 30mm +7, 40mm +10, 50mm +13, 60mm +16,
70mm +19, 80mm +22, 90mm +25, 100mm +28, 110mm +31, 120mm +34, etc.
Tire width is determined by the number printed on the tire sidewall by the manufacturer.
If a tire does not have a manufacturer’s printed number on the sidewall, then actual tread
width measurement will be used. Drivers choosing to use tires narrower than the size listed
- 17 -
for their base class may get credited back points by reversing the assessments listed above
using the smaller decrease of front or rear for cars using split sizes (i.e. -1 for 10mm smaller,
-4 for 20mm smaller, -7 for 30mm smaller, etc.)"

From the wording it appears if any of the tires exceed the 295 limit for TTA, then the points kick in, even if you keep some of them smaller. OTOH, if you elect to go smaller, even if one stays at the higher 315 size, there are no point deducts to help you.

You can post it up on the NASA forum under Time Trial and I'm sure Greg will answer very shortly.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:50 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try posting on the NASA forum but I read it as +4 for 315 rears, and -4 for 275 front.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:36 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mrc24x
Try posting on the NASA forum but I read it as +4 for 315 rears, and -4 for 275 front.

That cant be right, that would be +0...........( I bet he wishes ).

I think I will go read the rules for TTA> again
Old 02-14-2007, 08:53 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I emailed Greg himself on this one a few months back - you cannot run the average. It is spelled out in the tire section of the latest set of rules. It kills the C5, 911 and 944 since they all run a pretty big split.-

TTB base tire is now 265 by the way.....
Old 02-15-2007, 09:08 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Check the NASA forums, they spelled this all out somewhere on there......I am glad I am only worrying about pwr/wt.......I may do a TTA car sometime @ Mid-Ohio though.

Nice job @ CMP Ken......I was sifting through the results last night

Thanks, Very cool event I'm hoping I can get out to a few more this year. Running TT in an open passing session is definitely a different experience, I realy need to learn some self control, focusing on getting in one good lap rather than trying to run fast all the time. I don't think I focused enough on learning the track, rather I was trying to go fast all the time rather than staying smooth and learning the track.

I was really surprised when I watched my video, I really thought I had gotten more clean laps than I did.
Originally Posted by varkwso
I emailed Greg himself on this one a few months back - you cannot run the average. It is spelled out in the tire section of the latest set of rules. It kills the C5, 911 and 944 since they all run a pretty big split.-

TTB base tire is now 265 by the way.....
I guess that answers the question, for me it's not that big of a deal. I think I'm one of the few used to running 295s out back. Last year I ran Nitto NT-01s 275 up front and 315 in the rear +5 & +4 or +9 (NASA) and 275/295 Hoosiers +10 at the end of the year.

The main reason I don't want to run the 295s is because I can't find any used If I run my used Nittos at least I'll have an excuse.

My fastest times at CMP were with the 275/295 hoosiers but I can now see cords on my rears Now I need to figure out how to slip a new set of rears passed the wife, with the baby coming in April it's going to be a tough one.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:28 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
That cant be right, that would be +0...........( I bet he wishes ).

I think I will go read the rules for TTA> again
I know it didn't work that way last year but it looks like they might be able to do it that way this year. I'm 295 on all 4 so it makes no difference to me. Still....worth checking on with Greg.

Oh yeah, my +4 and -4 would be for a car based in TTA.

Bold print page 18. "Drivers choosing to use tires narrower than the size listed for their base class may get credited back points by reversing the assessments listed above using the smaller decrease of front or rear for cars using split sizes..."

Last edited by mrc24x; 02-15-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:59 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it didn't work that way last year but it looks like they might be able to do it that way this year. I'm 295 on all 4 so it makes no difference to me. Still....worth checking on with Greg.

Oh yeah, my +4 and -4 would be for a car based in TTA.

Bold print page 18. "Drivers choosing to use tires narrower than the size listed for their base class may get credited back points by reversing the assessments listed above using the smaller decrease of front or rear for cars using split sizes..."
"smaller decrease" is the key - if you are running bigger than the base class your smallest decrease is 0...I sometimes have to deal with regulators and lawyers, also...
Old 02-15-2007, 10:06 PM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Now that would make sense. I was reading the "...reversing the assessments above..." Implying that you first had to assess something above before it can be reversed.

I'm already second guessing the thought of running TTA/PTA since the rules are so much easier in TTS. Oh well..

Last edited by mrc24x; 02-15-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:34 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Now that would make sense. I was reading the "...reversing the assessments above..." Implying that you first had to assess something above before it can be reversed.

I'm already second guessing the thought of running TTA/PTA since the rules are so much easier in TTS. Oh well..
Yeah, in TTA down they tried to fix things that weren't broken and it really screwed things up . Last years tire size/type rules seemed reasonable to me.......maybe I am a minority on this, but I dont think so............

Get notified of new replies

To NASA tire question....I know it's a shot in the dark

Quick Reply: NASA tire question....I know it's a shot in the dark