Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment, since when is -2 = -0.2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 03:39 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alignment, since when is -2 = -0.2?

I'm a bit frustrated but I want to see if this is right. keep in mind I have been going to the same shop to align (and usually cornerweight) my race cars for about 6-7 yrs. This was the first time I couldnt stay with the car so I left a sheet. I pick up the car to find the front has -0.2 camber. I ask why and they begin to explain thats what I asked for when I wrote -2 on the sheet. I said well -2 is -2.0 to me, they said to alignment people -2 is -0.2. I know now I should have been more clear...

So I just wanted to know if this is a universal thing with alignment professionals and I should have known better or would most people side with me. I guess what drives me nuts is he knew this setup would understeer badly knowing the car is for autox I don't understand why he didnt call me to say "are you sure you want this?"
Old 02-15-2007, 03:49 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72
I'm a bit frustrated but I want to see if this is right. keep in mind I have been going to the same shop to align (and usually cornerweight) my race cars for about 6-7 yrs. This was the first time I couldnt stay with the car so I left a sheet. I pick up the car to find the front has -0.2 camber. I ask why and they begin to explain thats what I asked for when I wrote -2 on the sheet. I said well -2 is -2.0 to me, they said to alignment people -2 is -0.2. I know now I should have been more clear...

So I just wanted to know if this is a universal thing with alignment professionals and I should have known better or would most people side with me. I guess what drives me nuts is he knew this setup would understeer badly knowing the car is for autox I don't understand why he didnt call me to say "are you sure you want this?"

Sounds like those Alignemt ppl need a math lesson.
-2 degrees is NOT -.02 OR POINT ZERO TWO DEGREES.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:52 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

That's a new one on me. Think what they'd do if you wrote down 15 on the sheet.

I think I'd give 'em one of the "looks", and ask them to do it over. 0.2 degrees is even too little for a normal street alignment.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-15-2007, 03:56 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72

No that is abnormal..............That car was soooooo close to being able to be set up right, before you even received it....sorry about how things are working out for you. How many "custom" alignments has this place done for you ???? Did they ballast the car with your personal wieght?? Did you have your anticpated fuel load in the car ???? It all makes a difference......Make sure when these cabbage heads get your alignment right that they mark the alignment eccentrics for location , and make sure they tighten them adequately......which means "REAL TIGHT".....

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 02-15-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Move the decimal point on the invoice the shop presented for
this work and tell them that to customers, $100 is actually $10.

I feel that your instructions requesting -2 camber were clear.
My vote is that it is not common for -2 to be interpretted as
-0.2 amongst alignment people.

Is there a tradeschool where you can ask an instructor for
confirmation? What about vendors of alignment equipment?
While I do not think it is likely that either will choose to get
involved on your behalf, I expect they will contradict your
shop's assertion.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:29 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

I can't understand how anyone could have misinterpreted that when it comes to camber. Maybe if you're talking toe (inches versus degrees). It should be very clear cut.

What type of rack?

I assume that -2.0 was the front camber. What did you specify for the rear and what did they set it to?

Would be a pretty disingenous answer from the shop if they did your rears to your handwritten specs but not the front.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:45 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
No that is abnormal..............That car was soooooo close to being able to be set up right, before you even received it....sorry about how things are working out for you. How many "custom" alignments has this place done for you ???? Did they ballast the car with your personal wieght?? Did you have your anticpated fuel load in the car ???? It all makes a difference......Make sure when these cabbage heads get your alignment right that they mark the alignment eccentrics for location , and make sure they tighten them adequately......which means "REAL TIGHT".....
Danny I know, I wish I had more time to have left it with you for a several days. In hindsight I would have left the car with you and Mark for three weeks and picked it up on March 3rd after I'm done with most of my work travel...this is what I get for being impatient.

The weird thing is this they do excellent work and until this had tons of faith with them. They use a hunter rack and when i did other cars I could see him setting it up right as my butt was in the driver's seat. I did have probably 4-5 gallons more than planned in there but they did have the driver's seat weighted for me.

What I should have mentioned in the first post is they are fixing it right now and that won't cost me more but it's just frustrating and causing me a second trip out of my way. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and not slur their name on here. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't crazy to be frustated that they could interpret that way.

They set the rear properly because I did it down to the decimal point. Toe has never been an issue as both them and I use inches to measure toe. Go figure...
Old 02-15-2007, 04:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
Move the decimal point on the invoice the shop presented for
this work and tell them that to customers, $100 is actually $10.
Oh that is good, very good.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:29 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

that is why you should learn to do your own (via my alignment guide), or bring it to someone who CARES about your car and performance (like me)

All they do is read the computer, and "shake" everything until it hits the marks. At least 50% of all alignment jobs don't actually change anything, just verify and charge the customer!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
that is why you should learn to do your own (via my alignment guide), or bring it to someone who CARES about your car and performance (like me)

All they do is read the computer, and "shake" everything until it hits the marks. At least 50% of all alignment jobs don't actually change anything, just verify and charge the customer!

Shoot , I have been aligning cars the wrong way all this time. Just give it a "shake" and press the print button , huh

Really a good alignment shop (like mine ) will always adjust alignment. Not just within specs, but absolutely symmetrical, ballasted as raced. SCCA SS cars with stock control arm bushings have serious problems maintaining alignment. They will almost change every run, ask some of them that actually pay attention and they will tell you.

David, you must have some bad alignment shop experiences or the alignment shops around you are a bunch of hacks with hatchets.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:50 PM
culookin06
Advanced

I find this to be interesting, are you saying that when I take my vette to chevy they are not going to set the alignment the same on every vette that rolls though there? Should I go somewhere and ask for a "custom" setup for my street car that I drive daily? If so could someone share the settings so that I may pass them along monday and enjoy the most out of my new Khumo MX tires. Thanks
Old 02-16-2007, 09:31 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by culookin06
I find this to be interesting, are you saying that when I take my vette to chevy they are not going to set the alignment the same on every vette that rolls though there? Should I go somewhere and ask for a "custom" setup for my street car that I drive daily? If so could someone share the settings so that I may pass them along monday and enjoy the most out of my new Khumo MX tires. Thanks

culookin06:

The OEs typically develop their alignment settings based upon the usage of the average consumer, with a fudge factor thrown in for safety. Before someone recommends a "custom" alignment spec, you really need to educate them on the intended usage of your vehicle. Setting up a car that is primarily an autocross car will yield different settings from someone that may use their car for daily driving. You also need to be prepared to discuss how much you're willing to compromise in terms of tire wear, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment, since when is -2 = -0.2?

Quick Reply: Alignment, since when is -2 = -0.2?