Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any opinions on C4 bilstein autocross shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any opinions on C4 bilstein autocross shocks

Eckler's has the regular and Z51 shocks, but they also list an autocross specific shock that I don't see listed anywhere else.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...&dept%5Fid=239

I bought sport springs from VBandP -and I'm still looking into shock options for a ZR1. I could rebuild the FX3's or wait on that and toss in this shock for now.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this one out.
Thanks.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:25 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You can have the FX3 shocks rebuilt for autocross use by Bilstein. They have a "Morocca" (?) valving that was developed by a Forum member in conjunction with Bilstein and this valving is supposed to work great.

Doug Rippie Motorsports used to make an FX3 controller with a replacable prom. You could get a varoety of chips that further changed the shock settings. I'm not sure if they still have them but it would be worth a call to them to find out. Also try Lingenfelter to see if they have something similar.

If you go with rebuilding the FX3 shocks, you could always install a set of KYB Gas-A-Just shocks in the interm. Summit Racing has them for about $32 eack

As far as the Eckler's shock, I cant imagine that Ecklers woud carry a unique Bilstein shock where other accessory catalogs would not. There is an intersting note that says 88 cars have to be lowered an inch to use them on that model. I bet that if you could get the Bilstein part number, it would be a Z51 shock.

For Bilsteins, try Dan at Van Steel. They are a Forum vendor and great to deal with.

If you don't want to spend the money on re-valving the FX3 shocks, look at Koni's, QA-1's or for a bunch of money, the Penkse shocks.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Thanks, I'll try Dan - most of it isn't so much the money.....OK maybe it is.... but it also seems easier to drop in a shock that works with my spring rate and be all done with the suspension.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:00 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbara_S
I bought sport springs from VBandP -
Talk with VBandP so you can have them valved to match.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Zpeedstr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Go Koni

I tried 3 different Bilstein valvings and they just had too much bounce. I attribute this to the gas charge.

Switched to Koni's and solved the problem. Now flat through 8 at Willow.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I know a guy who put the Bilstein Autocross shocks on his 85 which was a dedicated AutoX car and they made quite a difference in his times. But he said they were that stiff that he could not imagine them on the highway.

Also I have some slightly used Z51 shocks for sale. These do ride firm but not harsh.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1622943
Old 02-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the HAL/QA1 adjustables instead of having mine rebuilt. The ability to adjust when I got to an event then move the ride back to something normal was great. It made a big difference in the performance and the cost wasn't too bad, if I remember maybe $550-$600 for the set.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:26 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zpeedstr
I tried 3 different Bilstein valvings and they just had too much bounce. I attribute this to the gas charge.
Switched to Koni's and solved the problem. Now flat through 8 at Willow.
What 3 types of valve settings did you try?
Morocca rear rebound valving is a bit weak. A bit compression stiff to rebound rate on all four, but it also depends on springs rates, bars, track etc.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:38 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Originally Posted by Dolfan
I went with the HAL/QA1 adjustables instead of having mine rebuilt. The ability to adjust when I got to an event then move the ride back to something normal was great. It made a big difference in the performance and the cost wasn't too bad, if I remember maybe $550-$600 for the set.
Sorry to high jack, but what settings did yourun your HAL/QA1 at the track?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

If you do get Bilstein, I found that the rubber mounts that come with them are super soft. I have been looking for poly mounts to replace them, but haven't had any luck.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:36 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I'd go the Koni adjustable or HAL/QA1 route so that you can fine tune for different courses. Worth the added up-front expense IMO.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I'd go the Koni adjustable or HAL/QA1 route so that you can fine tune for different courses. Worth the added up-front expense IMO.
I would completely disagree. I had ansolutely TERRIBLE experiences with my QA1's on my C5. All four needed revalving twice within a year. The lower mount was a "one size fits all" type that allowed the shock to rattle. Total, total crap.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:52 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Umrswimr
I would completely disagree. I had ansolutely TERRIBLE experiences with my QA1's on my C5. All four needed revalving twice within a year. The lower mount was a "one size fits all" type that allowed the shock to rattle. Total, total crap.
I have Koni's. Lots of people like the QA1 but I have no experience with them. None the less they are an option.

The real point of my post is that being able to fine tune the shock for a given course is desirable vs trying a one size fits all valving scheme.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Canam
Pro

I have revalved bilsteins from Vette brakes that would be much like the ones you are considering. They are awesome on a road course and came with poly bushings.
Bear in mind they are absolutely punishing on the street.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

I ended up running out of time on revalving FX3's at Bilstein or picking something else, so I took a chance on VBP digressive valved extreme shocks which shoudl be OK with the extreme springs I bought from them.

thanks though-good info here for the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Any opinions on C4 bilstein autocross shocks

Quick Reply: Any opinions on C4 bilstein autocross shocks