Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CMP 07 test, qual and race report - T1

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 02:47 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CMP 07 test, qual and race report - T1

The newly named “Margarita Racers” (which encompasses Lift Inc, TrackTapes.com, Over 1g Racing, and BK racing) had a great weekend at the President’s Day National at CMP. Despite bone chilling temps and gale force winds, Mike Scornavacchi won in his debut drive in SSB with the white Solstice. He was on the pole with a 1:55 and was able to race in the 1:56s. I’ll let him fill in the rest of that story.

There were 7 T1 cars registered for this event which was the most ever there. We need to welcome Rob Hines and Jerry Onks into the ranks of T1. Both guys are really quick!!! Jerry will be competing in the South while Rob is up north. It’s great to have you guys in T1!!!!!!

As for me, it was a near perfect weekend, except for a loose diff plug we found on Friday morning and the horrible cold weather of course. I recently had the old war horse tuned and the suspension reset at Phoenix and the car was just a rocket right out of the trailer. My Friday test times were low 1:44s and even clipped a 43, so I knew it had some speed this weekend.

For the Saturday qualifying pole run, I bolted on the sticker Kumho V710s and the bedded Carbotechs and ran three straight 1:42s…the best being a 1:42.3 on the 3d lap, which was good for 6th overall. [The forth lap was actually going faster, but I had to let a GT1 car pass into turn 11 which clipped .7 off my normal sector time! The data showed a predictive lap of a 1:41.5!] Phil Croyle was next with a 1:43.5 in p7 overall. Next in T1 was Rob Hines (1:44.3), Jerry Onks (45.1), Joe Gaudette (45.6), Russ Snow (46.2), Tim Hund (48.9).

Sunday’s race was ultra cold and WINDY – probably 30 mph gusts. Dust, leaves, dirt and everything else not anchored down was flying thru the air. Visibility was difficult at best along the back straight, and you could definitely feel the head wind!

I got a good start and passed several cars on the outside going into T1. One of the cars was a GT1 car that split in between Phil and I. That allowed me to get a good run all the way through turn 7 and some breathing room. For the first few laps, the gap stayed pretty consistent, but I was able to pull out a few tenths per lap. The car was just perfect! Phil was apparently working his tires harder than I and the gap continued to increase. I turned a 1:44.0 on lap 4 and the tires just kept digging and those great Carbotech Brakes were the same at the end of the race as the start. Here are the final results for T1 at CMP:

Chris Ingle 1:44.0
Phil Croyle 1:44.4
Jerry Onks 1:46.3
Russ Snow 1:46.9
Joe Gaudette 1:46.7
Tim Hund 1:48.7
Rob Hines (DNF) 1:46.2

Here’s my 1:42 lap on You tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8d2FYVJ8Dw
As always, you know where you can get the whole event – www.tracktapes.com.

Maximum thanks to those awesome Kumho tires, Carbotech Brakes, Mike S. for that great engine, Phoenix Performance, Hardbar, Cool Shirt, and Butch Kummer (my super Crew Chief).

See you all at Roebling in March! I could stand some crew help if anyone is interested in coming out - 2-4 March.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:54 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your 3rd win in a row Chris! I talked to Mike Taylor today and he said the weather was very interesting for you guys. Bet you didn't have any problems with oil temps and such.

Aaron Quine
Kumho Tire (Motorsports Division)
2003 Z06 Corvette SCCA T1 #21 (Rookie Year)
Sponsors: Kumho Tires,Corsa Exhaust,Hawk Brakes,Redline Oil
Old 02-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Old 02-19-2007, 05:33 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Congrats on your 3rd win in a row Chris! I talked to Mike Taylor today and he said the weather was very interesting for you guys. Bet you didn't have any problems with oil temps and such.

Aaron Quine
Kumho Tire (Motorsports Division)
It's been a helluva good start to the season!! It was about 50 degs at the start of the race (with 30+ mph gusts). I think my highest oil temp was 228 and I think I saw 201 for H2O. Brrrrrrrrr
Can we please not have CMP in Feb anymore!!!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

can we please dig up CMP and build a real course.........
Old 02-19-2007, 06:35 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Nice run and thanks for the video, maybe I can pick up a couple tips
Old 02-20-2007, 08:48 AM
dmwhite
Racer

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
can we please dig up CMP and build a real course.........

Get notified of new replies

To CMP 07 test, qual and race report - T1

Quick Reply: CMP 07 test, qual and race report - T1