Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good AutoX/Race seat for a C3

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:49 PM
rotgirl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good AutoX/Race seat for a C3

I'm getting tired of getting battered and bruised in my stock seat in my '79......can anyone recommend a good seat manufacture that will fit in a C3?

rg
Old 02-20-2007, 04:05 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I use the Corbeau Forza. It's comfortable, fairly light (16 lb) and relatively inexpensive (~$220 plus for slider).
Old 02-21-2007, 10:49 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Do you have harnesses installed?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Mike P
Instructor

Default Race Seats in a C3

I concur on the Corbeau Forza.

It should be an easier install on your '79. The '68's are narrower at the top of the doors, which requires the seats to be canted inboard at the top to clear the door padding. You'll have more room for the shoulder area of the seats.

Mike P
Old 02-21-2007, 05:00 PM
rotgirl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm really wanting a solid steel or aluminum back.........you guys have any experience with those?

I'll want to use a 5- or 6-point harness.

rg
Old 02-21-2007, 07:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

A friend uses these: http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=194 in his '80 autocross car. They are comfortable (he has the cloth seats) and use a steel tubular frame in the construction.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:20 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rotgirl
I'm really wanting a solid steel or aluminum back.........you guys have any experience with those?

I'll want to use a 5- or 6-point harness.

rg
The Forza has a steel tube frame.

I helped a buddy of mine install an Ultra Shield aluminum racing seat in his '92. That was a very nice, well manufactured seat with a nice snap-on padded fabric covering. The Ultra Shield seats are custom built to your dimensions-both the cars and your own-so the seat fits your car and fits you. The seat was ultra light and the cost was very reasonable, about $300 if I remember correctly. However you have to fab your own mounts or find something that's available that would work.

BTW, none of these seats will work without harnesses, so plan on installing those at the same time or before.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:58 AM
rotgirl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

That sounds like a good option. I'll check into the Ultra Shield.

You know I'm new to all this........what's the deal with the harness? Is it bolted in separately from the seat?

rg
Old 02-25-2007, 11:00 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Yes, harnesses are bolted in seperate from the seat. You can use the factory seat belt anchors for the lap belt, but you'll probably have to remove the stock belt. For the shoulder harnesses you have more options for mounting. Mine wrap around my roll bar; you can get a harness bar to do the same (http://www.vetteworksonline.com/); or you can have the shoulder harnesses come to a "Y" and have them anchor with a bolt through the floor (and steel beneath) in the luggage compartment. Don't forget the sub belt too.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:33 PM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I also would consider the Ultrashield line of seats. They have a version called the rally sport that would work well. It would give good support while not being as difficult to get in and out of as the road race units. You need to get a seat narrow enough so that when moved forward in a comfortable position it will fit between the tunnel and door.

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=8

In my 80 I went with an OMP seat since I wanted something that I could also use for street use even though the seat is race approved. Also more expensive.

On and you may want to try out Bobby Archers place. I bought my seats there and it was nice to see them in the store. Their stock is always in rotation so you never know what will be on hand. Plus they're located near downtown Fort Worth

http://www.bobbyarchermotorsports.co...tegory_Code=RS
Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Is yours a track only car? I can see going with an ultrashield or a Forza if that's the case. For a street car I think something like a Corbeau GTS II or A4 is more reasonable. I'm very happy with the GTS II and the Shark Bar harness bar. The two combined hold me in really well. The GTS II has great side-to-side back support and, as I said, is a great street seat. It is very comfortable for long road trips.

Get notified of new replies

To Good AutoX/Race seat for a C3

Quick Reply: Good AutoX/Race seat for a C3