Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lou on Louis

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:39 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Lou on Louis

From Page 57 of the March issue of SportsCar Magazine:

It is doubtful that most of the people reading this are unaware that a dedicated and talented crew chief coupled with mechanical talent go a long way toward making a driver perform to optimum potential.

Certainly this isn't lost of the World Challenge racing community as the series competitors and series itself honor the crews of the year as well as awarding the Zimmerman Cup, which honors an outstanding crew chief in the World Challenge Championship Series.

The 2006 recipient of the Zimmerman Cup was Louis Gigliotti.

Not the elder Lou Gigliotti, who been racing with the SCCA since what some consider to be the beginning of time, but his son, Louis, "don't call me Lou," Gigliotti Jr.

All Louis Gigliotti Jr. did in 2006 was front a three-car Corvette team in the highly competitive World Challenge GT series. His team won two races and two pole positions.

If Louis, who will graduate from Purdue with a BA in business, seems older than his 23 years, consider that he has been going to the racetrack since he began to walk. But what Louis Jr. lacks in age he more than makes up for in experience.

"He has been at the racetrack at almost every race I have been in since 1988 when I race the Corvette Challenge Series," boasted proud papa Lou Sr. "He has been on my team from 1995 when he was 12 years old. He has been in my pits since he as 14!"

"When I won the Trans-Am race at Lime Rock, I was being held at the pit out because our 'jack point' was left in. Louis did a sprint to the pit out and slid like he was sliding into third base and pulled the jack pin out so I could leave the pits after a tire change. It was in the nick of time and I didn't lose a lap, and went on to win the race." recalls Lou Sr.

People who know Lou Gigliotti know how keenly competitive he is and how important winning is, but when his son Louis Gogliotti Jr was announced as the Zimmerman Cup winner, it would seem to be an award for which Lou Sr. is most proud, as it is official recognition of what he believed all along.

"Louis is a great young man, with a passion for cars and racing," Lou says of his son. "He is wiser than his years. He has integrity combined with drive and determination that should carry him to great things. He has inherited may wife's calmness and my determination!"

"He is the love of my life along with my wife Karen and daughter Christina," says Lou Sr of his son. "He has been my best friend for years. We have a unique relationship that stems from the common bond of racing and cars."

Source: SportsCar Magazine, March 2007.

I could not find a link to this article, so I typed it for everyone to read. What a great tribute! Kudos to both Lou and Louis. DMP
Old 02-20-2007, 09:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the time typing.

I have seen Louis at some races and Lou is a real lucky father in every respect to have a crew chief like that. More importantly a son like that who is so down to earth, polite and helpful to all. So easy to see people in his postion who are stuck up SOB's. Lou's whole crew is great. I have met some other members of the family. They are Lou's most important trophy! Great to have a common interest to share with your son and family. Hope to hit a few races this year again when he is running.

Now do I get those free headers
Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 AM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Louis is a good egg indeed! I hadn't even realized he won that award...awesome. Congrats Louis!
Old 02-21-2007, 01:46 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought some wheels from Louis and it was an awesome transaction. It sure sounds like he has a firm grasp on racing and business. Congrats Louis and "proud papa" Lou!

-TJ
Old 02-21-2007, 08:46 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is so cool! Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Congratulations to Louis!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:01 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

Buckeye: Great writeup; thanks for transcribing it for us.

Lou, like I said earlier when you announced Louis' award, better start getting some bigger chested shirts; you're gonna pop the buttons out of all the ones you've got when word gets out (more) about Louis.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-21-2007, 11:51 AM
blkz
Pro

Louis,Congrats.You give a great driver a great car .You the man.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:45 PM
MikeP
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats Louis, award a long time coming. I had the opportunity do meet and do business with Sr and Louis and had nothing but total satisfaction. Both a very approachable and down to earth people! Know time to top it off with WCC championship.

Mike
Old 02-21-2007, 10:30 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Louis pointed me towards the 04 Z06 that I bought a year ago from one of your friends. Congratulations
Old 02-21-2007, 11:54 PM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

Wow, how cool!

Louis not only did a great job on my car recently, but he personally stood behind the work when a minor problem developed - far beyond what anyone else I've had work on my car has done. IMO not only was the award well deserved but any business we in the Corvette community give to LG is equally well deserved because their quality and customer service is exceptional. And a large part of that is a credit to Louis.

Way to go, dude!
Old 02-22-2007, 12:54 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. Another Purdue grad

Jeff, BSCS '93
Old 02-25-2007, 03:16 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by rhneff
Wow, how cool!

Louis not only did a great job on my car recently, but he personally stood behind the work when a minor problem developed - far beyond what anyone else I've had work on my car has done. IMO not only was the award well deserved but any business we in the Corvette community give to LG is equally well deserved because their quality and customer service is exceptional. And a large part of that is a credit to Louis.

Way to go, dude!
thanks guys,

I am very proud of him.
I agree. Louis will be a good one to carry on the LG tradition.

His sig in the forum says "Louis, the next generation". I agree.

Thanks
Lou G
Old 02-25-2007, 03:41 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Outstanding Congratulations Louis I met him in the Corvette Corral tent at LimeRock in 2005. What an outstanding young man.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:28 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by talon90
Outstanding Congratulations Louis I met him in the Corvette Corral tent at LimeRock in 2005. What an outstanding young man.
I remember meeting a bunch of Corvette forum guys there. Did you have the Baker Racing shirt on?

Thanks
Lou G
Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Whar caught my attention to this story was the "second generation" aspect of it. As a member of this group (my father started the business my brother & I now run), I appreciate the challenges of following in a parent's footsteps.

Louis' actions speak well of Lou: I have a theory that kids only follow in the mom or dad's footsteps if they like what they see. This could be either what the business offers, how it treats their parent, or what type of person that parent is. The latter is more significant in my opinion: generally crooks don't have many long-term relationships, including family.

Having your son follow you in the racing business tells me something only he could tell me: you must be doing things right or he won't associate with you.

Being in the racing business, I know how much it "matures" a young man. My gut tells me if Louis wants to venture into a more "normal" line of business, the lessons learned in racing will serve him extremely well. To wit: no one here will think twice about pulling an "all nighter" to get a car ready for a race the next day. Take that attitude towards a business and you will make a fortune. It certainly helped me in my efforts.

Congratulations to both Lou and Louis. While I have yet to met you Lou, I am a fan of both of you. One of these days we will be banging fenders, I promise.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Rob 2K1
Burning Brakes

Congratulations to Louis and the rest of the LGM crew!! You have always been great to work with!! When it's time for more mods....I'm heading your direction.

-Rob
Old 02-28-2007, 11:16 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
I remember meeting a bunch of Corvette forum guys there. Did you have the Baker Racing shirt on?

Thanks
Lou G
No Lou, I had the Corvette Racing T on with my NCM Lifetime id. You had all ready left the tent when I caught up with Louis and two others from your crew. They were very nice, invited my friend and I to have lunch with them at the buffett and spent nearly an hour just talking with us about various things. I'll never forget it. Your car was parked out in front of the tent on display and I recall that they were manning the display for Q&A.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:44 PM
LG Motorsports

We meet more great Corvette people at the Corvette Corrals. They even let me give a speach now and then.

It is like preaching to the choir because we all love our Corvettes.

Thanks and I hope to meet many more Corvette owners this year.

LG
Old 02-28-2007, 01:01 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
We meet more great Corvette people at the Corvette Corrals. They even let me give a speach now and then.

It is like preaching to the choir because we all love our Corvettes.

Thanks and I hope to meet many more Corvette owners this year.

LG
I hope to see you at a couple this year. It must be hard for you as we all "know" you from the forum and you don't know any of us from Adam (well, most of us anyway). I can't imagine people coming up to me like they've known me my whole life and yet I'm sure I've never seen them before. Thanks for being such a great ambassador for us and the hobby.

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Lou on Louis

Quick Reply: Lou on Louis