Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will rear wheels/tires fit on the front of a C6?

Old 02-25-2007, 09:56 PM
High 11s
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Will rear wheels/tires fit on the front of a C6?

Yet another question for the road racers out there.

Has anyone tried to put rear C6 wheels (19 x 10) and tires (285/35-19) on the front of a C6?

If they do fit then will the A/H still operate with equal diameter front and rear tires (I would plan to use the same wheel/tire combo on the rear)?

My thinking is perhaps I can use the 295/30-19 Hoosiers all around on 19x10 stock rear C6 wheels. This would allow me to rotate the tires and even out the wear. Now I may need a lighter rear sway bar.....not sure about that yet.

I remember on my C5 switching tires front to rear as an experiment and the rears fit very well on the front....but the A/H would only work in "competition mode".

Any thoughts or experiences???
Old 02-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Silverton
Pro

I believe that C5 Z06 rear wheels (18x10.5; 62mm offset) will fit on the front & rear of a C6. Unfortunately, you still need a rear-front tire diameter differential. For example, with 275/35-18s on the front (OD=25.6") and 295/35-18s on the rear (OD=26.1"), the rear-front tire differential is +0.5". For reference, the OE rear-front differential is +1.2".
Old 02-26-2007, 07:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Why would you want to go with 19" all around? 19" rubber costs more, are weighs more, and put less HP to the ground.

a few thoughts:

Plus you really might consider a larger then a 285 for grip. a 285 is really a small tire for track use.

Tires can be rotated corners somewhat. R compound have memory. Once they are heat cycled in one direction, the rubber tends to melt or form stronger bonds in that direction. Putting right side tires on the left side breaks those bonds and in most cases will ware the tires out faster.

and turn the AH OFF and drive the car. TC only needs a minimal difference in rear to front ratio when in comp mode. There are plenty of guys in C6s using Idetical tires on all four corners with AH/TC turned off and have no problems.

18" all around would be far better performance and cost wise. 305/30x18 for all 4 corners or a 305f and 315 rear.

You wont need a light rear sway bar, bigger if anything.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 02-26-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Silverton
Pro

AU N EGL: What is the largest tire that will fit on the front of a C6 (without a widebody kit)? I believe that by using the 62mm offset of the C6 Z06 wheels, a larger tire can be accomodated in the front.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:06 PM
High 11s
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Why would you want to go with 19" all around? 19" rubber costs more, are weighs more, and put less HP to the ground.

a few thoughts:

Plus you really might consider a larger then a 285 for grip. a 285 is really a small tire for track use.

Tires can be rotated corners somewhat. R compound have memory. Once they are heat cycled in one direction, the rubber tends to melt or form stronger bonds in that direction. Putting right side tires on the left side breaks those bonds and in most cases will ware the tires out faster.

and turn the AH OFF and drive the car. TC only needs a minimal difference in rear to front ratio when in comp mode. There are plenty of guys in C6s using Idetical tires on all four corners with AH/TC turned off and have no problems.

18" all around would be far better performance and cost wise. 305/30x18 for all 4 corners or a 305f and 315 rear.

You wont need a light rear sway bar, bigger if anything.
Thanks for the info AU N EGL. I did not realize that R compound tires had a memory. So perhaps the best set up for me is to use the 305/305 or 305/315 on rear C5Z wheels 18x10.5. Or do I need a wider wheel on the rear for a 315?

My idea of using 19's was simply to make use to the wheels I already have, namely 2 sets of OEM 18/19 wheels.

I am amazed at the huge tires you guys run on the Corvette, my track Mustang uses at best 275's all around and its pretty darn quick on that setup.

Thanks again for your advise.....So far I have only tracked the Corvette (my 05 that is.....already sold and the new 07 is here) on street tires and was pretty impressed.....needs a little more power, and maybe more roll stiffness once R compound tires are on it....but otherwise great!

Get notified of new replies

To Will rear wheels/tires fit on the front of a C6?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will rear wheels/tires fit on the front of a C6?