Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another noob question on tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:17 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Yet another noob question on tires

I’m looking to step up to some R-type tires this year, and hope to be in NASA’s TT at least a few weekends this year. Last year I used Kumho MXs on my C5, and liked them, but would like to step up. The stock Kumho’s have a diameter difference of almost exactly 1 inch, the rear being larger. In looking for tires, I have a set of C5 Z06 wheels to use as track wheels, I notice that there may be only one set of tires that would preserve the rake, the Kumho V710s with 275/40R17 and 315/35R18’s. The others that I’ve looked at would either be pretty close to the same diameter front and rear, or actually be larger diameter on the front in the neighborhood of half an inch.

How important is it to preserve the rake? Will a large change in rake effect the suspension geometry? I’m not sure if I want to adjust the ride height each track weekend, but I guess that is an option. Any other clues? I looked at the NT-01’s and they look like they would be about the same diameter, the pilot sport cups would be bigger in front.

What do people usually run on C5 Z06 wheels?

Thanks for any input!
Matt
Old 02-27-2007, 07:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

tires can be same diameter or slightly larger in the rear.

Ride height should be close to stock or no more then 1" lower then stock. about 1/2" lower is ideal. This way suppension can still travel.

Slammed cars look cool as heck, but dont perform for chit especially if you hit a gater in a corner.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:45 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MattB

Thanks for any input!
Matt
Kumho 710s: 275/315

Hoosier A6s: 295/315

You can always adjust the rake using the rear bolts, FWIW.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:18 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I’m looking to step up to some R-type tires this year, and hope to be in NASA’s TT at least a few weekends this year. Last year I used Kumho MXs on my C5, and liked them, but would like to step up. The stock Kumho’s have a diameter difference of almost exactly 1 inch, the rear being larger. In looking for tires, I have a set of C5 Z06 wheels to use as track wheels, I notice that there may be only one set of tires that would preserve the rake, the Kumho V710s with 275/40R17 and 315/35R18’s. The others that I’ve looked at would either be pretty close to the same diameter front and rear, or actually be larger diameter on the front in the neighborhood of half an inch.

How important is it to preserve the rake? Will a large change in rake effect the suspension geometry? I’m not sure if I want to adjust the ride height each track weekend, but I guess that is an option. Any other clues? I looked at the NT-01’s and they look like they would be about the same diameter, the pilot sport cups would be bigger in front.

Thanks for any input!
Matt
I run those exact tires on my car and they are great (V710's). The only drawback is the wear. On a good weekend of tracking they are completly toast if you drive hard. If you can afford to buy a new set every couple of track days, IMO there is not a better tire out there. I went from the Nitto RII's and would never go back to them after running the V710's.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:02 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How important is it to preserve the rake? Will a large change in rake effect the suspension geometry? I’m not sure if I want to adjust the ride height each track weekend, but I guess that is an option. Matt
Don't start screwing around with adjusting ride height/rake, etc unless you have a set of scales and really know what you are doing. It's easy to ruin the handling of these cars if/when you start messing with the ride height.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:30 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Don't start screwing around with adjusting ride height/rake, etc unless you have a set of scales and really know what you are doing. It's easy to ruin the handling of these cars if/when you start messing with the ride height.
I agree, but thats why I'm asking, I don't want to cause a lot of probelms and I don't want to try and set the ride height when I swap wheels. What type of issues can come up if I go with tires that have the same diameter?

Anyone use the NT-01's on Z06 wheels?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

We run 17" wheels all around in T1 and it does just fine (275s/315s for me). Some guys run 315s all around - no issues.

If you don't want to run 17" all around, just buy whatever size tires that fit on your rims...but don't start monkeying around with the spring bolts. It'll be plenty fast enough!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:32 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Go with Toyo RA1 tires. 275/40/17 305/35/18 You can drive them on the street and do track days with them.

Steve
Old 02-28-2007, 07:30 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Go with Toyo RA1 tires. 275/40/17 305/35/18 You can drive them on the street and do track days with them.

Steve
Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

If you are driving the car to the track, then don't use the V710s. It only has 2 grooves and would be no good if it rains. If you're driving it to the track, the good 'ol Victoracer is still awfully good!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:05 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a set of Z06 wheels to be track only. I stuck with the MXs last year because I did not have a set of track wheels.

So, no worries

I think it will be the V710s if I don't hear any good suggestions this morning
Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 PM
earthman01
Instructor

I run Hoosiers (R) on stock rims when its dry, Kuhmos when its wet. The Hoosiers make a BIG difference.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Canam
Pro

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2

Steve
I agree. Best R1 compromise tire there is. Very long lasting. We use them as spec up here in Canada for road racing. They heat cycle continuously and never give up. Their not the complete fastest R1 around though but pretty good.
I also agree with not screwing with the car. Use the stock sizes if you can and maintain the stock geometry (ride height). Your corvette was totally designed to run optimally at this height. These are race bred cars. You don't need to do much to them in fact if you do you could make the handling worse, not better. Make changes later when you really know the feel of the car

Get notified of new replies

To Yet another noob question on tires

Quick Reply: Yet another noob question on tires