Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake and gas pedal adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake and gas pedal adjustments

Does anyone have a solution or a way to adjust the pedals to aid in heel and toe.

I'd like my brake pedal to hit farther out. It depresses too far down, making the gas pedal too far up. As the laps go by the brake pedal goes farther down making downshifts hard.

The brake pedal is about 1-2" farther down from the gas pedal.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:46 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I had the same problem...plus I have narrow feet, so I needed to not only raise the pedal up a bit and essentially move it over.

It's not advisable to try to bend or alter the brake pedal or shaft, so I just bolted a couple of pieces of angle iron (with holes) onto the pedal and it's worked great. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but then again, neither am I, so who cares as long as it works. You can get high-tech if you want and buy a nice looking aftermarket pedal that attaches to the stock one (like in Auto Zone), but I wasn't confident that they would work that well.

Since the stock pedal has "holes" already in it, that made using the angle iron pieces a snap. Just run a couple of flat-head bolts thru the iron and then thru the pedal...tighten a couple of nuts onto the bolts and you're done. You can either use more iron pieces or washers or whatever to raise the "pedal surface" up even more if you need. Too easy.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see a picture of that if you can. This is something I need to do this year also. I've done it once before but on the gas pedal of a mustang.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:54 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

My car is already loaded up for the Roebling Road National this weekend. I'd planned to do a quick video of heel-toe technique this weekend and post it on Youtube. I'll make sure I get a close up of the pedal. Trust me though...it's nothing fancy...but it works.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok with me. The last one I used was a flattened out curtain rod bracket. It looked cool because it had lots of drilled holes in it lol
Old 03-01-2007, 03:24 PM
earthman01
Instructor

Try wearing a set of wide-soled running shoes instead of narrow driving shoes. Works for me.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:27 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by danswofford
Does anyone have a solution or a way to adjust the pedals to aid in heel and toe.

I'd like my brake pedal to hit farther out. It depresses too far down, making the gas pedal too far up. As the laps go by the brake pedal goes farther down making downshifts hard.

The brake pedal is about 1-2" farther down from the gas pedal.
I use the "heel & toe" gas pedal that replaces the factory pedal from Elite Engineering http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/C5_Pedals.html

No bending, drilling and it works flawlessly

Last edited by rudyarias; 03-03-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:28 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

OK guys, as promised, here is a 5-minute video showing my brake pedal modification and how I heel and toe. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIivgrDsoUU

Get notified of new replies

To brake and gas pedal adjustments

Quick Reply: brake and gas pedal adjustments