Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z51 Pfadt Pfatty Report

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:07 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C6 Z51 Pfadt Pfatty Report

The previous two days at Thunderhill had been an exercise in frustration for me as I just could not get comfortable with now the car was behaving. I couldn't find a happy spot steady-state or at corner exit... the car was, as you'd say, and understeering-oversteering pig. At least with my driving style.

Jump through the California winter and I've put the Pfadt Pfatty bars on the C6 Z51 to try to help with the balance of the car. I'm starting full stiff in the front, full soft in the rear, trying to induce some push to get comfortable with things. It worked, the car is a significantly different beast now... confidence all the way through the corners, no twitchy business, no fighting to keep the front and back lined up, early into the gas on exit, trail-braking doesn't upset the chassis on entry... in short I'm a very happy camper. I can't wait for a warmer, dryer day so I can try a couple of adjustments on the rear bar.

Only bad thing is now I really want shocks as you can really feel some places (T3 for those familiar) where the stock shocks just let the car get unsettled as you go over some patches and bumps.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:07 PM
m3brad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GREAT NEWS! I ordered my fatty bars for my C6 Z51 yesterday.

The driving experience you had w/your OEM stuff, was identical to mine. In addition to the bars, I'll be installing Bilstein Sports when I install the bars.

Did you install your bars yourself? If so/if not was there any trouble with the installation? Aaron assured me, everything would line up and directions are there, along with live phone help.

Again, congrats
Old 02-28-2007, 01:13 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Aaron's phone support is outstanding. I did the install myself and any problem I had has long since been solved by Aaron! You'll love the bars!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

so these are the comp bars or the street bars?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:07 PM
m3brad
Racer

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
so these are the comp bars or the street bars?
I think he's talking about the big boys, i.e. comp bars
Old 02-28-2007, 07:13 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Aaron's phone support is outstanding. You'll love the bars!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by m3brad
I think he's talking about the big boys, i.e. comp bars
I assumed (and hoped) so....but ya never know
Old 02-28-2007, 10:27 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

This is the Pfattys (as the thread title says); I was initially going to ask Aaron for a street bar rear to go even softer, but I don't think it's necessary at all now.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:35 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

i ordered bars for my C-5 ZO-6 a month or so ago..looking forward to getiing better handeling
Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was ready to order Pfadt adjustable bars for my C6 Z51 Coupe until I read about the problems with the front brake cooling ducts. Aaron suggest using the C6Z ducts, but others on this forum have stated that they're not adequate for the track. I'm currently holding off until there is a positive resolution to this problem.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:43 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Silverton
I was ready to order Pfadt adjustable bars for my C6 Z51 Coupe until I read about the problems with the front brake cooling ducts. Aaron suggest using the C6Z ducts, but others on this forum have stated that they're not adequate for the track. I'm currently holding off until there is a positive resolution to this problem.
Well, DRM is the one that's telling me the C6Z ducts may not be sufficient... oddly they sell their own version. :-) Now I do believe Randy when he says they tested with the C6Z sized ducts and they weren't enough. I don't see the C6Z guys running out and trading in their stock ducts for DRM ducts and they're running around the tracks without complaining too too much.

Randy@DRM and I decided that some heat and minor shape changes to the DRM duct should let it function well enough and clear the swaybars -- I just haven't had time to pull out the torch and play yet.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:11 PM
cendres
Instructor

Aaron's phone support is outstanding. I did the install myself and any problem I had has long since been solved by Aaron! You'll love the bars!
How much noise do they make (if any)?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cendres
How much noise do they make (if any)?
I *think* the majority of my noise is from the pillow block mounts; if you drive on the street you might consider the poly bushings instead.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:32 PM
High 11s
Racer

I *think* the majority of my noise is from the pillow block mounts; if you drive on the street you might consider the poly bushings instead.
gkmccready.....sounds like the big bars worked very well for you...I am considering doing the same.....I have an F55 and will be switching to Z-51 springs.

What tires are you using at the track?

I also found my 05 Z51 going from understeer to oversteer on street tires and although very quick it was a bit of a handful when I was trying to run against R compound equipped cars.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:32 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by High 11s
What tires are you using at the track?
I've got the stock F1 Supercars on the car right now. I need to call John@CCW to order up a set of C10s 18x10+18x11 and then I'll run RA-1s (275/305) initially.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:01 PM
High 11s
Racer

I've got the stock F1 Supercars on the car right now. I need to call John@CCW to order up a set of C10s 18x10+18x11 and then I'll run RA-1s (275/305) initially.
Thanks!

Seems to me your CCW wheel plan is the way to go...just a bit expensive....so I am holding off for now...hoping to still go fast with stock wheels and Hoosier tires...we'll see!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:08 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Seems to me your CCW wheel plan is the way to go...just a bit expensive....so I am holding off for now...hoping to still go fast with stock wheels and Hoosier tires...we'll see!
Weigh the cost of those 19inch tires versus the cost of the wheels and check the break even point... kind of the same rationale I'm putting on myself with the Wilwood SL6Rs from Hardbar!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z51 Pfadt Pfatty Report

Old 03-03-2007, 08:23 PM
High 11s
Racer

Weigh the cost of those 19inch tires versus the cost of the wheels and check the break even point... kind of the same rationale I'm putting on myself with the Wilwood SL6Rs from Hardbar!
gkmready....since I am planning to use stock 19x10 on the rear I will be limited to the new Hoosier 295/30 -19 tire which is just a few $$ more than using an 18 inch rear tire....now the difference is with 18's I can use a C5Z 18x10.5 wheel and then go to a 305 rear tire....a little wider.

On the front I'll use again the stock 18 inch wheels so tire cost is not an issue.

Now unless I am missing something here...and many on the forum think I am....my cost to use 19 inch rear tires in only about $10 per tire, or $20 per set. That will take a long time to pay for new 18 inch wheels like the CCW's. Now if you want to run very wide tires....then this seems to be the only option, or use C5Z 18x10.5 wheels at all four corners.

Any idea if the repro C5Z wheels are heavier than OEM. Some say one pound.....others talk about 8 pounds. I think the big difference is on the C6Z repros vs OEM...but I am not sure. No data and no wheels available to me to weigh....so I don't know for sure!!!

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

I'm really the wrong guy to ask; I've just been trying to find something for my C6 to run some decent tires on the track, and likely drive on them to get there. :-)

since I am planning to use stock 19x10 on the rear I will be limited to the new Hoosier 295/30 -19 tire which is just a few $$ more than using an 18 inch rear tire....now the difference is with 18's I can use a C5Z 18x10.5 wheel and then go to a 305 rear tire....a little wider.
Since you're going Hoosiers you could run much wider on an 18x11 CCW than a 305 rear (which is the Toyo size). 315 or 325 would fit in other brands.

On the front I'll use again the stock 18 inch wheels so tire cost is not an issue.
What are you going to try to squeeze onto the front?

Now unless I am missing something here...and many on the forum think I am....my cost to use 19 inch rear tires in only about $10 per tire, or $20 per set.
Interesting. Last I looked I swear they were much more expensive than that. That does make the Hoosier R6 on stock wheels somewhat attractive in a 245/40r18 + 295/30r19 combo.

Any idea if the repro C5Z wheels are heavier than OEM. Some say one pound.....others talk about 8 pounds. I think the big difference is on the C6Z repros vs OEM...but I am not sure. No data and no wheels available to me to weigh....so I don't know for sure!!!
Can't help you there. TireRack may have weights on their site, or pop over to the Wheels & Tires forum here and ask Luke@TireRack.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:48 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a few track days now on the Pfadt coil overs and Pfadty bars.

I love the lower center of gravity and sure foot of the car.

Went to a tight one mile track that has alot of corners and elevation changes. Its called Horse thief mile. Running the OEM F1 supercars that have a few track days on them and they are holding well.

I absolutely dig Aarons suspension. For a tight track like horse thief I kept fron and rear sways at one click away from full and front shocks 12clicks and rear 8 clicks to help plant its *** in the turns.

I run 4 clicks in front and 5 clicks in rear for street and the ride is superior to stock. No doubt.

Last edited by LOS ANGELES PI; 03-04-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 Z51 Pfadt Pfatty Report