Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First HPDE in c6

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:57 PM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First HPDE in c6

I did some searching around and just couldn't find the information I was looking for.

Though not new to open lapping days and HPDE in particular, this will be my first even in my C6, and also first in a Corvette.

I'm used to campaigning Cobra Mustangs.

I'm looking for some general information to help make the car's first outing a success.

I'm dropping back to HPDE 2 for the first day just to get the feel of the car at the limit in a slower environment.

I'll be on the factory wheels and EMT tires as well as the stock pads.

Car as a MN6 1LT base car...no Z51.

Prior to the event on March 17th and 18th I'll be changing the oil to get the break in stuff out of the car. Flushing the brake system with ATE Super Blue fluid a coupe days before the event. I'll also be adding the Z06 brake ducts.

What else should I look out for that may be quirks to this car?

In my Cobra mustangs, they have oil starvation issues during hard lateral acceleration and thus I also ran an additional quart of oil. SHould I do the same in the Corvette?

Any help would be great. Can't wait to get the vette out on course and REALLY stretch it's leggs.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Even though the LS2 has a different pan than the LS1 and LS6 engines I would still run the extra quart. It won't hurt anything and could prevent a sad story.

Depending on how severe the braking is you could get some pad taper and a subsequent long pedal that could cause you to pump the brake pedal to get the pads back in contact with the rotor. First time I ran my 97 I had this problem in spades. After the 2nd session the pedal went to the floor and no amount of bleeding would correct the issue. Turned out the pads had tapered and were replaced under warranty. Ran with OEM pads for 3 seasons and found I could manage the brakes to keep the taper to a minimum so I could get 2 days running before the pedal got too low.

Have fun.

Bill
Old 03-01-2007, 10:59 PM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until I came to this forum i've never heard the term brake pad taper anywhere. Can you explain that a little?

am I correct in the thought that it has to do with the leading edge of the pad wearing more than the trailing edge?

Get notified of new replies

To First HPDE in c6

Quick Reply: First HPDE in c6