Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the c4 obsolete???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:15 AM
asp04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the c4 obsolete???

With the popularity of the c5, and the evolution to c6, Is the c4 worth having as a track car. Would really like to hear from c4 track guys as to whether or not they are trying to sell those cars and buy newer, or how they have modded to keep up with newer cars. Are there c4 drivers out there that are competitive in nasa TTA or faster classes?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A C5 is leaps and bounds better than a C4: ligher, more power, better weight distrobution, better rear suspension geometry, better brakes, more power potienal (LS1 + cam + headers = 400RWHP). There is nothing that a C4 does better than a C5.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

The C4 can be modded well, but then the cost gets up there to just buying a C5. From what I have seen the C4 does great in autox. I have been running my C4 at Road America. I do not want to get a C5 and risk losing the car. I paid much much less then a C5 and only spent a little in upgrading to make it faster. If you do your own work and find used parts, like C5 calipers, porting your intake/heads, cam, putting in poly bushings, etc, then you are similar in speed to the C5 but out much less money if you crash. There are some very fast C4s out there!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:00 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Well this C4 owner is never selling. I'm really attached to it.

You can really mod up a C4 if you want. I've seen what the SpeedGT C4's can do. You can also pick up one that's been modded. I've also seen 1,000hp C4's.

Or you can just leave it stock and enjoy it.

If I wanted to beat everyone at an autocross, I'd just buy a go-kart.

If I wanted to beat everyone at a road course, I'd get a real race car.
For what it cost to get into a C5, you should think about it.

Me, I'm just having fun, and could really care less what the other guy's doing.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Well this C4 owner is never selling. I'm really attached to it.

You can really mod up a C4 if you want. I've seen what the SpeedGT C4's can do. You can also pick up one that's been modded. I've also seen 1,000hp C4's.

Or you can just leave it stock and enjoy it.

If I wanted to beat everyone at an autocross, I'd just buy a go-kart.

If I wanted to beat everyone at a road course, I'd get a real race car.
For what it cost to get into a C5, you should think about it.

Me, I'm just having fun, and could really care less what the other guy's doing.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoy my C4 tremendously, but right now it is ALL I Can Afford to enjoy. There is no question that the technology of the newer cars is superior and hence faster. If your goal is to have a lot of fun for the least amount of money, the C4 is an excellent package. Having said that I don't think a well driven low buck LT1 based C4 is going to be very far behind a non Z06 C5 and if you are looking to blow everyone's doors off and have the talent to do it, a Radical would fit the bill.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:02 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

For the money a C4 can be a great auto x or raod race car. We have loads of fun with our car and it seems to be easier to work on the c5 as well. After running for two years I think I am glad to run a modified C4 over a stock Non-Z06 C5. The C4 is still pretty popular in the Great lakes states. When we go around the region it seems IIE is one of the bigger classes. Performance wise I think it is what you make of it. I have seen some pretty fast C4's over the past few years. Hopefully soon I will be one of them!

Al

P.S. Come to think of it, I have seen some Bad@$$ C3's that have put it down pretty good too!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:18 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004
I enjoy my C4 tremendously, but right now it is ALL I Can Afford to enjoy. There is no question that the technology of the newer cars is superior and hence faster. If your goal is to have a lot of fun for the least amount of money, the C4 is an excellent package. Having said that I don't think a well driven low buck LT1 based C4 is going to be very far behind a non Z06 C5 and if you are looking to blow everyone's doors off and have the talent to do it, a Radical would fit the bill.
This is why I am currently looking for a C4 to make into a track day / street car. I also want to put a cage into the car and partially gut the interior. I do not want to do this to my C5 as it is the car we use for trips and weekend cruising.

I have been out of racing for a while and just want to get back out on the track. If I decide I can afford to get past the street/track day car we have seen some old race cars that would be great to run and probably not that expensive if you used a good crate engine instead of an all out race engine.

Larry
Old 03-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Without a doubt, the C5 is a more competent platform. That being said, I love the way my C4 feels on the track. I'm a small guy, 5'8"' and it fits me like a glove. It's a personal thing but I think you sit in a C5 and wear a C4. With a stock LT1 and only some suspension, brake and safety mods I can hold my own with C5s but I have to work harder (deeper into the brake zones and quicker on the accelerator) to stay ahead. I blew my LT1 last fall and elected to install an LT4 instead of jumping to a C5. Just my two cents!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran a SWC C4 (Pete Pulio's) that had a 383 7300 RPM motor with nice big power. Ran real well for sure. I was down a bit on power due to over heating but I think he would have beat me at the top of my game in any case. Was real fast and I am not sitting back in my car relaxing either. He has the same suspension and original shocks never rebuilt as it came from the factory for the Corvette Challenge back in the day He was probably breaking 1:30 on Pocono Long course which is great. Two or three years ago we ran and were knocking on the door of 1:30 and he ran better this past year

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-02-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

As for the question on what mods I would recommend, at a minimum there are really only two that I personally would start with on a sound car(and remember it is only my opinion, so there is no reason to start another endless R compound v. street tire debate) would be 275/40 R compound scrubs all around on A molds(or equiv) and a nice set of Wilwood/StopTech/Movit/Brembo/AP/Alcon racing brakes with ducting(this will save you money in the long run.)
Old 03-02-2007, 06:41 PM
OregonVette80
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome looking car!

Before I bough my C3, I was looking for a Vette between 68-91 as these were the most affordable "play car" I wanted to pay for.
I agree w/ prior statements, if I really wanted to go fast really cheap I would've bought an ugly Ford Mustang F body, spend $1000 to spice up the SB 302 and call it good. But, it's a blast driving a Vette, it's what I've always wanted, it's my first GM car (yes, ever ) coming from a long line of Ford & Mopar brothers & my father too, it's a great departure. Especially in a bat-mobile shaped C3. It's old school technology, it's fun to manhandle around a track with. Being carburated & tall geared it's a blast. No matter if a Honda Prelude or Neon Srt4 can blow right past me...BFD! It's not nearly as rad as an old school Vette.

AP

Old 03-02-2007, 07:30 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

The C4 was, and is, a great car. HOWEVER, the C5 is simply better in many many ways. The rear suspension is far superior, and the C5's hydroformed boxed frame is much stiffer.

As I just did, you can get an early C5 pretty cheap these days, and make a great track car. I have no idea what a C4 costs, but I'm sure it has nearly equal potential.

Decide what is in your budget, and fits your needs. Both are great cars!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

"Is the c4 obsolete??"

Lordy, I sure hope not! I enjoy mine tremendously. At 103K miles the old girl is as much fun as ever. I like the seating better than my Z06, not the floor room, but the seats with the adjustable bolsters. I like the ride better, not the handling, but comfort down the highway. I like the idle sound better with the hot cam. I like the fit/finish infinitely better than that on my Z06! I like the removable top with the targa truss in place. I like the headlight operation better. I like the interior controls much better! I like the night/day flip on the rearview better. Actually, I like the body style a little better, too. There are other things that I am forgetting, I am sure.

My list of those things that I find better on the Z06 is probably just as long if not longer. I guess I'll just have to keep 'em both as long as the creeks don't rise and the good Lord is willing!

That said: I have taken the Z06 to six roadcourses and several AX events. I took the C4 to one roadcourse event before the Z06 came along. The C5 is much better for roadcourse work, hands down!

Last edited by SouthernSon; 03-02-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:50 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

i think the c4 is much more fun "harder" to drive, however it sucks for about anything else.. i love my c4 ans as everyone knows i could have 2 c5s for what i have in it.. ill keep mine as long as i can but have to recomend the c5 overall....its just better
Old 03-03-2007, 09:52 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I really like all Vettes, (perhaps C1 not so much). My brother had a '66and I have had a '74, '89, '97, 2000, and now a 06 ZO6. I am very fortunate to have had these and I wish I had them all in the garage now (I really liked the 66). I had the 89 and 97 both for a while and the biggest things I noticed when I would go back and forth between them was that the L98 felt good down low, but was so short of breath above 4500 RPM, and the chassis was so flexible that it really annoyed me on our rough roads. I know how much our original Hardbar stiffened it in torsion, I think a 4 point roll bar would really help the chassis flex. I think with a motor other than an L98 and some other mods it can still be a competitive in some venues. On the other hand, the C5 shares alot with the C6 so parts and knowlwdge base for them will be around for along time and might be more cost effective.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:45 AM
asp04
Advanced

Many thanks to all that posted viewpoints on C4/C5 advantages/Disadvantages. Anyone should like the look of the red w/white striped photo posted earlier. Trackman, are you still out there? It sounds like you have invested a fair amout in your C4 already, so let me ask you and anyone else with an opinion. I already own the car, a "92" in pretty solid shape with only 44000 miles, I have 7500 dollars to spend on this dedicated play car. What would you suggest I spend this bundle on to get the best OVERALL track mobile.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the c4 obsolete???

Old 03-03-2007, 12:11 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by asp04
Many thanks to all that posted viewpoints on C4/C5 advantages/Disadvantages. Anyone should like the look of the red w/white striped photo posted earlier. Trackman, are you still out there? It sounds like you have invested a fair amout in your C4 already, so let me ask you and anyone else with an opinion. I already own the car, a "92" in pretty solid shape with only 44000 miles, I have 7500 dollars to spend on this dedicated play car. What would you suggest I spend this bundle on to get the best OVERALL track mobile.

I know you are asking Trackman. But since I also have a 1992 I will give you my opinion.

To start I would get a harness (on mine I have a welded 4 point roll bar), alignment (with as much neg camber for the front as you can get) these cars are a challenge to get neg camber in the front, race tires, and as much seat time as possible.

With only 44,000 miles you could do a top end (heads, cam, headers, etc.) once you feel you need it.

Find a class thats competive for a C4. NEI (hosted by EMRA) is a great class as its weight to HP.

Maybe Frank R. (fmrfast) will chime in as he also runs a C4 and is very fast.

Steven

Last edited by STEVEN13; 03-05-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

The harness and harness bar, absolutely at the top of the list.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:53 PM
fmrfast
Racer

A C5 is a superior car. Don't get me wrong you can have allot of fun with a C4 even bone stock, as I did for many years. A C4 I would suggest an 1989 or later. For HPDE's either a C4 or C5 will be fine. As mentioned prior the L98 runs out of steam at 4500, the C4 is more difficult to drive fast, no computer to bail you out.

As speed goes the C5 is faster then the C4. My L98 C4 puts down 285hp at the rear wheels (Dynojet SAE) & weighs 3383 with me in it at the end of a race. Cage is essential to stiffen the chassis. With good rubber & a clean lap it is good for almost 1's at Lime Rock under Ideal conditions with new rubber, 2:11 at Watkins Glen, low 1's & some 59's at Pocono North (can definitely shave that down) 1:24's at Summit Point on old rubber no clean lap. At 285 RWHP the engine is NOT stock any longer & it takes some $'s to get the engine there. For example a C5 with no modifications will most likely get you in the same ballpark with lap times & for HPDE's a cage is not as critical as it is in a C4 for chassis stiffening. Safety is a whole other issue. A c5Z06 or even a plain C5 set up by Phoenix will be Faster!

As Steven mentioned here in the northeast NEI (northeast iron)has a great HP: weight class. Great close wheel to wheel racing, for C4's mustang's camaro's & firebirds, The C4's have to give up HP & or add weight. I race wheel to wheel, however there is a Time Trial Class also.

PS I am out there having a blast racing whenever the budget will allow. Right now it allows for the C4 I have owned for years..... if I had the money I would go with a Phoenix prepared T1 C5Z06
Frank

Quick Reply: Is the c4 obsolete???