Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette GTP Replica Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 03:23 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Corvette GTP Replica Project

This is the latest project the guys at Mongoose Motorsports are working on. Would like to have it ready for the 2007 One Lap but I don't know if it will happen. I have not ran since 2002 and am getting the bug again and they want me do drive this thing.

It has a custom tube chassis that accepts C5 suspension with coil overs. The tub is made in all aluminum with left and right gas tanks.The engine is a new stock LS7 with a built 4 speed automatic trans and 342 diff. We are hoping to see this scale out at around 2,500 LBS or so. They changed the seat/steering to left hand drive and we molded a seat to fit me in this cramped little area.

I need to know what parts to buy to install the oil cooler. I saw a cover plate on the side of block above the oil filter. This kinda looks like the same set up as my LS6 T1 car. I have a billett adapter that has the lines to oil cooler and the Accusump is Plumbed into that. Is this the same set up for the LS7 or are they different?????

Here is what the car looks like so far. I will keep pictures posted as they progress.

Thanks for any help,

Aaron Quine
Kumho Tire (Motosports Division)
2003 Z06 SCCA T1 #21

[IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c258
/rasrboy/GTPPaintedandFrame005.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-02-2007, 03:39 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Hey, that is pretty cool! I look forward to following the progress. It looks like it's the long tail version? Where did they get the body?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

AWESOME! That will be an awesome ride to compete with...We (NCM) have the show car currently...

What is the deal with the Grand Sport?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:59 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

They got the molds from somebody that had them stored for years and they reworked/changed them a little. They made there own frame jig in house and had just about everything else made to fit. It has come along way since starting this in Late Nov 06. They will have these for sale after we do alot of R&D to make sure all is good. They haven't mentioned a price tag yet, but it will be alot cheaper than the real one @ $350,000.00

That one at the Museum is awesome and I want them to paint the next one like the Hendricks scheme, but They have to get permission first so there is no lawsuits. John Heinrocket drove the real one in the 80's I believe for a few races.

As far as the GS Replica's, they still do them to and can be ordered as a Kit or turn key. www.Mongoosems.com is there new site but they don't have anything on the GTP replica there yet.

Aaron
Old 03-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Wow that looks very cool... but why an auto?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:41 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

I know, I was hoping for the 6 speed. They are working on a manual set up right now without breaking the bank.

I ran an automatic in the GS replica in 02 One Lap with a manual valve body and it worked good enough to put us 2nd overall. I hope this works just as well if not better but I am sure I will still be looking for that clutch pedal somewhere.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:14 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in the late 80's a guy from NJ (who owned a privateer one) was making street copies called Eagle GT's. Might this have been the starting point for these cars? /:\
Old 03-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Karlo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTP Picture

Picture of "real" One
Old 03-02-2007, 11:40 PM
David Borden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aaron, Very cool project!

They should really triangulate that frame in the back. The rear part of that frame is gonna be pretty flexible if they dont.

David
Old 03-02-2007, 11:43 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The block adapter should be the same.

Randy
Old 03-02-2007, 11:49 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by David Borden
Aaron, Very cool project!

They should really triangulate that frame in the back. The rear part of that frame is gonna be pretty flexible if they dont.

David
David,
There is already a triangle rollbar cross piece that bolts to the top of the rear cage and goes over top the engine and to the rear frame, it just wasn't bolted in for the picture.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:51 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You are my hero. Would you like to adopt me?

Originally Posted by rasrboy
This is the latest project the guys at Mongoose Motorsports are working on. Would like to have it ready for the 2007 One Lap but I don't know if it will happen. I have not ran since 2002 and am getting the bug again and they want me do drive this thing.

It has a custom tube chassis that accepts C5 suspension with coil overs. The tub is made in all aluminum with left and right gas tanks.The engine is a new stock LS7 with a built 4 speed automatic trans and 342 diff. We are hoping to see this scale out at around 2,500 LBS or so. They changed the seat/steering to left hand drive and we molded a seat to fit me in this cramped little area.

I need to know what parts to buy to install the oil cooler. I saw a cover plate on the side of block above the oil filter. This kinda looks like the same set up as my LS6 T1 car. I have a billett adapter that has the lines to oil cooler and the Accusump is Plumbed into that. Is this the same set up for the LS7 or are they different?????

Here is what the car looks like so far. I will keep pictures posted as they progress.

Thanks for any help,

Aaron Quine
Kumho Tire (Motosports Division)
2003 Z06 SCCA T1 #21

[IMG]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c258
/rasrboy/GTPPaintedandFrame005.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-03-2007, 12:56 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Wow that looks very cool... but why an auto?
Correctly tuned, an automatic transmission kicks a$$. Do you remember saying "nobody races an automatic" in a thread a few months back?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:08 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aaron,
That thing is major KEWL..............I was always a big fan of those cars when I was a young kid. Watched every race I could have back then . Always wanted the Corvette GTP to do well and it did.

It's good that you may run the OLOA, I have been contemplating its worth recently .......OLOA is a huge PITA with little or no real return...........Hell even the story in Car&Driver was very skimpy..

I am still on the fence post.

To answer your oil block question, any of the blocks that are made for C5,C6 Corvettes ought to work as well as the factory block that comes on the Z51 or Z06 cars......

Got your sticker yet ???
Old 03-03-2007, 08:52 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 03-03-2007, 09:35 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Aaron,
That thing is major KEWL..............I was always a big fan of those cars when I was a young kid. Watched every race I could have back then . Always wanted the Corvette GTP to do well and it did.

It's good that you may run the OLOA, I have been contemplating its worth recently .......OLOA is a huge PITA with little or no real return...........Hell even the story in Car&Driver was very skimpy..

I am still on the fence post.

To answer your oil block question, any of the blocks that are made for C5,C6 Corvettes ought to work as well as the factory block that comes on the Z51 or Z06 cars......

Got your sticker yet ???
Danny,
Pretty cool stuff. I am always down at their shop when I am not traveling just drooling all over everything.

I know what you mean about the the One Lap. It seems the return is not as good as it used to be. For the cost of it they should have a TV crew following us around and then air it on SPEED or something. The articles in Car & Driver were .

Thanks for the Oil plate info. I just try and do the parts chasing for these guys and help with what I can.

We have a Club meeting this Monday so hopefully I will see Pancho or Kenny who ever has the RAFT sticker.

Thanks Dude!

Aaron
Old 03-03-2007, 09:59 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Hey Danny,
I was just brain storming, What do you think if I could talk the owner into you and I running this together in the One Lap? Think we could do some DAMAGE?

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette GTP Replica Project

Old 03-03-2007, 03:32 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

You can use factory C5 suspension.

Just take a look here
http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffr...TM/GTMkit.html

Last edited by BrianCunningham; 03-03-2007 at 04:43 PM. Reason: edit: not the transaxle
Old 03-03-2007, 04:33 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
You can use factory C5 suspension and transaxle.

Just take a look here
http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffr...TM/GTMkit.html

The pictured vehicle does not have a C5 or C6 transxle assy.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:42 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
The pictured vehicle does not have a C5 or C6 transxle assy.
Porsche Transaxle Parts from 1987-1998 2-wheel drive 911 models

Porsche G50 or G50 variant transmission
I stand corrected. Just the suspension.

Quick Reply: Corvette GTP Replica Project