Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First timer at Autocross and Drag Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Bscott1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First timer at Autocross and Drag Racing

Hey I’m a new corvette owner and I wanted to try out these two types of racing since I have a car that is worth racing know. My car is a 06 Z51 M6 coupe stock except for I changed the tires to some KDW 2’s. I have done some research but still have some questions.

Autocross:
I am participating in my first race next Sunday at ETRSCCA Regional Autocross #1.
1. What tips/ advice could you give me?
2. What items should I bring with me?
3. Should I change anything on the car, tire pressure, oil level ect?
4. Are there any courtesies/etiquette that I should know about?
5. How should I launch the car?
6. Traction control on or off, Stability control on, competitive driving, off?
7. I read about putting caulk on the tires how do you put it on and what should I look for after a run?

Drag Racing
There is a 1/8-mile tack opening near my house (Knoxville, TN) in a few weeks and I wanted to try it out.
2. Should I change anything on the car, tire pressure, oil level ect?
3. Are there any courtesies/ etiquette that I should know about?
4. How do I do a burn out?
6. How does the staging work, I’m confused what pre staged, deep staged, ect. Are?
7. How does the tree work, when should I start letting the clutch out?
8. Traction control on or off, Stability control on, competitive driving, off?
9. What should I do between runs, let it idle, turn it off?

If any one could help me out and answer a few question I would really appreciate it. I don’t want to look like a complete retard my first time out.

Thanks Brian
Old 03-02-2007, 11:02 PM
BADC64GO
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I would suggest googling both of your questions. There is a lot of reading you will need to do, then followed up with a lot of seat time.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:50 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I wouldn't do any changes for the autocross. I let my wife take mine to an autoscross during a weekend trip. I just checked tire pressures and told her to go have fun. Depending on how good you are at car control, I would use either comp mode, or turn it all off. All off is probably better because you need to rely on your skills, and you can learn a lot. But do whatever you feel comfortable with. Since you're new at it, you really want to get a feel for what the car can do and imprve your driving techniques, but most of all, have fun!

As a beginner, improving your driving skills will have by far the biggest impact on how fast you are. Changing things on the car really won't help, since you can't out drive it. If you want to chalk your tires, just make a line starting on the sidewall and going onto the tread. After you make a run, see how much chalk is left. This basically tells you which parts of the tire are touching the ground. This info can be used for altering wheel alignment and tire pressure.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:08 AM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mlongo and BADC6 are IMO are giving you the best advice on where and how to begin. I did exactly the same thing when I got mine and it was one of the best things I could have done to help me understand the car, how it handled, and all the areas I needed to improve in to really drive this car. On the road course, drive your own race as there is no way you will be able to compete with the veterans so as hard as this will be, don't even try. Each lap your confidence and familiarity with the car will improve until you eventually find the limits your comfortable with.
At the drags, leave traction control and active handling on for the first few passes if you have never been to the drags. If you are running stock tires, go around the water box unless you have the burnout technique down pat. Even after you are comfortable running down the track, don't turn off active handling as it can save you from some ugliness. I asked the same questions and received the same answers from members on this forum who know this stuff better than I probably ever will. Good luck and have fun, but most importantly be safe.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:29 AM
jjohn918
Drifting

This might seem kind of simple, but if you love your paint, you might think about adding some protection behind the wheels. Painters tape works for a lot of people.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Bscott1
Cruising

Thanks guys I appreciate your comments.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:24 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Welcome. I'd suggest you post this in the Autocrossing and road racing section of the forum. We have some incredibly talented racers among our members (including professionals) and they are more than willing to lend a hand with questions.

You can find that section here under General Corvette Topics from the forum directory:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

At a minimum I'd suggest you read this sticky thread in that section titled "New to Auto-X and Roadracing? Look in here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=673766

This thread is an absolute "must read."

Paul
Old 03-03-2007, 10:35 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I have moved this thead to Auto-x and I'd post another thread in the dragracing section.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:01 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Go have fun. dont worry too much. Just do it.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:25 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bscott1
Hey I’m a new corvette owner and I wanted to try out these two types of racing since I have a car that is worth racing know. My car is a 06 Z51 M6 coupe stock except for I changed the tires to some KDW 2’s. I have done some research but still have some questions.

Autocross:
I am participating in my first race next Sunday at ETRSCCA Regional Autocross #1.
2. What items should I bring with me?
3. Should I change anything on the car, tire pressure, oil level ect?
4. Are there any courtesies/etiquette that I should know about?
6. Traction control on or off, Stability control on, competitive driving, off?
7. I read about putting caulk on the tires how do you put it on and what should I look for after a run?
1. Be calm and TAKE YOUR TIME. Every newbie in a hot car seems to want to impress everybody when all you end up doing is looking out of control and being slow. The key is being smooth. Walk the course before hand...in fact walk it a couple times. The first time you run...go at a slow to medium pace so your mind can absorb the layout from the driver's seat view. If you go fast the first time, you will probably DNF as you toatlly miss parts of the course. As you become more experienced, you brain seems to be able to read the cones better and therefore you won't have to be as slow your first time on the course. As the runs progess, go faster each time. Save the last run for you all out run. Understand that you won't come away a winner in your class unless you have nobody to compete against, so accept that and use it as a learning experience for later on down the road.

2. Bring plenty of fluids and maybe some food too. Also, bring some painter's tape for you numbers. Being it's your first time out, you don't need to pack out with racer gear. Oh, you should bring a helmet too...most events have spares to borrow, but sometimes the pickings can be slim. Also, wear some thin sole shoes, hiking or work boots are too bulky for proper pedal feel.

3. Just run your car as is and learn

4. Just pay attention and don't be afraid to ask questions. You will find most everybody at an Auto-X are great to get along with.

5. Auto-X gives you a running start at the starting timing light, there is no need to do a drag strip launch, just ease out the clutch and then punch it after it's fully engaged.

6. I recommend you use competitive driving. Turn it off later on if you feel comfortable. I can run about a second faster with it off, but at the same time, you also feel more on the edge of losing control. So I would use it as you are new, and losing it on the course isn't gonna help you any.

7. You can chalk your treaded shoulders to observe "rollover". It's probably not neccesary your first time out. Heck I don't even always do it. It's just a tool for optimizing air pressure...I would concentrate on learning the cousre instead of tweaking your air pressure.

ON EDIT: I should also add...don't go blazing around in first gear, after you take off, don't be afaid to short shift to second. After that, just leave it there and use your engines torque to carry you around the course.

Hammer

Last edited by thehammer69; 03-03-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:30 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Best advice on an M6 drag racing.

Stage, pull up the E-brake, and slowly let the clutch out until you feel the car want to move a bit.

Push in the clutch and drop the E-brake.

That will keep the gear surfaces touching and won't shock the tires as much so you don't blow them off or start wheel hop.

Good luck
Old 03-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Bscott1
Cruising

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69
ON EDIT: I should also add...don't go blazing around in first gear, after you take off, don't be afaid to short shift to second. After that, just leave it there and use your engines torque to carry you around the course.

Hammer

This is key. You have a lot better car control in 2nd.

Bill
Old 03-04-2007, 05:35 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just go, have fun, and learn, and read the sticky at the top of this section.

Get notified of new replies

To First timer at Autocross and Drag Racing

Quick Reply: First timer at Autocross and Drag Racing