Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Height Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:57 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ride Height Question

I'm getting ready to corner weight and align the car next week so I was setting the ride height this week.

When the lowering bolts are set equal, side to side (ie: lowered all the way or two threads showing) , the left side of the car sits about 3/8 inch lower than the right. I've checked air pressures, moved the car around in the garage in case the floor wasn't level and driven the car to ensure that the suspension settles. I'm measuring at the frame rails before and aft the jacking points.

Obviously I can jack the left side up to make the sides equal height but thought I'd ask if I'm doing something wrong, or missing something before I waste the money corner weighting and aligning the car.

Thanks.

Last edited by TedDBere; 03-03-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Cant measuer ride height by the threads showing. many times the frame is slightly out.

The left side should be higher then the right side when the driver is not in the car.

Dont forget to add your weight to the drivers seat ( old brake rotors are great for this) and 1/2 a tank of gas then adjust the ride height.

Now your at the starting point for corner balancing. level surface and four digital scales.

Good Luck
Old 03-03-2007, 12:50 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

Are you measuring at the body, the frame, or the control arms. Obviously, the body is NOT the way to do it.

Every car is different, and none is perfectly "square". You need to reach a comprimise between front/rear/side ride height, THEN put it on the scales and get the balance right.

It is pretty much impossible to get the fronts even AND the rears even at the same time....
Old 03-03-2007, 02:30 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys.

I'm measuring from the frame to the ground. I'll set the nose to equal with the weight in the car and get the rears close. Then we'll cross weight with the rears.

I checked my old car that I had set before and the left rear was slightly lower than the right, but the cross weights were perfect.

Glad to hear that they're all not perfectly square.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:18 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere

Glad to hear that they're all not perfectly square.
after my little T5 incident at Road Atlanta 2 years ago. The body shop that did my car, and the owner also occationally races Speed World Challange in a Viper Comp Coupe mentioned that corvettes frames can be 1/8" out left to right AND 1/8" out up to down and be consideraed straight and within spec. That can be as much as 1/4" out and still be within specs.

my vette was aligned to with in +/- .5 mm both left to right and up and down.

He mentioned the first think anyone should do to turn a car into a race car, is to take the body off and straighten the already spec frame, no matter what make of car it is.

Good Luck
Old 03-03-2007, 04:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LG told me the frames have a slight twist and when they cage the cars they make them straight on the steel plate they use to measure and then pull it down where required.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:23 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

TedDBere:

Same thing for me.

My Super Stock '03 Z06 is lower on the left (driver's side) than the right (passenger side) - without the driver in it. Car is appropriately lowered for SS and corner weighed, and I'm satisfied with the trim height as it relates to solo performance.

Al Chan
Old 03-04-2007, 10:43 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by acrace
TedDBere:

Same thing for me.

My Super Stock '03 Z06 is lower on the left (driver's side) than the right (passenger side) - without the driver in it. Car is appropriately lowered for SS and corner weighed, and I'm satisfied with the trim height as it relates to solo performance.

Al Chan
Thanks Al, and congrats on last year's trophy at Nationals!

So given that the frame will be "out" of square. What should the objective be for the front of an Autox car? (Assume shocks bottoming out aren't an issue.) Level or as low as you can go knowing that the sides will be off slightly?

I'd love to hear from Erik, Pat, Matthew or Danny on this too. PM me if you want to. Thanks.

Last edited by TedDBere; 03-04-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ride Height Question

Quick Reply: Ride Height Question