Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winch question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 AM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Winch question

I found a cheaply priced 12v electic winch with the following ratings. 2klb pulling/5klb marine/6klb rolling. I have an 18' trailer with a dove tailed back end and 5' drive on ramps. Can anyone tell me if this winch will pull my car up onto the trailer and not burn itself out. I understand the difference between pulling dead weight and rolling weight, the part that concerns me is if can pull the car up the ramps. Next question would be, would it be okay to winch the car up using axle straps around the front cross memeber, or should I have a tow hook installed. I'm doing 12-18 tracks days this year and just rying to make it easier for myself. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by GeorgeZNJ; 03-05-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:07 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cheap winch is just that cheap probably over rated and will let you down when you need it most. 6,000 pulling is probably on a level surface which is nothing. Superwinch or Ramsey would be my choice. Tons of Chinese ones out there. Decent one is about 600 bucks. Ramsey will even tell you which dealer is running sales. They will also have ratings on degree of inclines. Difference between a great one and cheap one is one track day fee. If you go th sell a Ramsey you will get someone to buy it fast with good resale value.

Last edited by John Shiels; 03-05-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:05 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thanks for the info John:thumbs and BTW-Mike Ericcson(medriver 99) says hi
Old 03-05-2007, 02:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tell Mr Fast automatic I said Hi also. Watch because some winches which were good names are now made in China and not the best also line pull if it is single or double. I guess a 5,000 is good also but I would not go below that. I have seen some 3500 lb winches and they sound and pull like death.

Get notified of new replies

To Winch question

Quick Reply: Winch question