Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recording your runs and races on video... ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Recording your runs and races on video... ?'s

I recently purchased a minidv camcorder that I not only want to use for taking to car shows and such but also for video taping in-car racing and fun runs.
I'm curious to know what mounting setups people are using for external shots and if you use the "suction cup " mounts how well do they work.

For those of you who post your videos up on youtube and other websites what software are you using to extract (if not the software that came with the camera), edit and compress/convert the video?

In the next coming months I'd love to get some good footage that I can put together and share with everyone.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 04:24 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a number of programs out there. For just capturing some vid to put on Youtube, you can use the MS media player. You'll need a "fire wire" adapter normally 'cause the USB port isn't fast enough.

I use an I/O port in-car mount (to my roll cage) and it does really well.

If you don't want to fool with any of this yourself, I'll do it for you for a small fee...put it on DVD, etc. That's what I do.

Give a shout if you have questions!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:23 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

so usb 2.0 wont work? I have never done this but I do want to start this year and I hear the mini dv in the best choice for it.

Al
Old 03-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, the USB 2.0 will work. The old USB 1.??, from what I understand, was too slow for much video work.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:59 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine would not. Some obviously do. ...different computers...software...cameras...who knows.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1QIWF48UzU

Over the past four years I have ruined about 4 DV camcorders. Usually it's stuff like the tape door won't open and stuff. But it renders it / them useless. I would steer clear of moving parts in a camera. I currently use my hard core digital camera with movie functions built in. Get about a 1 GB card and you can record for about an hour or so.

The video you are seeing was originally in quicktime format-converted to .wmv and downsized to be uploaded over the web. In other words my little camera takes better movies than the one you just watched.

Also the little cameras are so small that almost any decent mount can hold them.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:12 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

You know, I always enjoy watching that video of yours; really captures a good autocross run.

I got one of those bullet cameras for Christmas this year, and I'm hoping to get it set up for our first event this weekend.

Then I'll have to get set up on youtube (assuming I can get everything to work).

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
You know, I always enjoy watching that video of yours; really captures a good autocross run.

I got one of those bullet cameras for Christmas this year, and I'm hoping to get it set up for our first event this weekend.

Then I'll have to get set up on youtube (assuming I can get everything to work).

Have a good one,
Mike

Thanks Mike.
I put the videos together so that others may enjoy what I feel. Yes, I get a little over excited at times. Especially when I know in my heart and soul that it was a fast run, then get confirmation from a scoreboard. It just feels so good.

The solid state (I think that is what they are called- IE:No moving parts) cameras seem to work best. The batteries last longer. They take great pictures. And the video is pretty good.

I'm also a home theater nut. And let me be the first to admit that the picture quality is far from HD. Especially when shot over a 12 foot wide screen. If you use a good DV recorder you can get better film quality. But the cameras are great for stuff to stream on the web.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:37 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still doing it old school. I have my trusty Sony VHS-C camcorder that just refuses to die. Regular lens and wide angle. The video quality is good and the image stabilizer function works very well.

The drawback is I copy it to my DVD burner/player that I use for my TV. I use DVD-R/W disks so I don't waste much. Then I feed it into a Pinacle software package for editing. Reading it off DVD takes no time at all. I also like their video editing package. It has a simple mode and offers a more detailed mode to do a lot of optional things. More than I need. The software was like $100.

Someday I'll get one of those fancy DVR cameras.

Get notified of new replies

To Recording your runs and races on video... ?'s

Quick Reply: Recording your runs and races on video... ?'s