Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you ever tear down your CCW classics... pay attention to the sizes of the centers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default If you ever tear down your CCW classics... pay attention to the sizes of the centers!

Turns out all four centers aren't the same exact size! I assumed wrong in spring '05 when I swapped out a set of centers.

I just noticed yesterday when getting two new rear tires mounted. I saw that on my RR wheel the center cap stuck out less than my LR wheel. I figured it was the centercaps but I remembered sitting all four next to each other and all of them are the same.

On a Corvette the thicker centers are supposed to go up front (more brake clearance). I need to swap my LR nad LF centers to fix this.

I guess bad things happen in 3s... my ac belt starts squeeling, my gauge cluster took a ****, and now this

So... keep track of the centers if you ever tear down the wheels.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
ragtopws6
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Turns out all four centers aren't the same exact size! I assumed wrong in spring '05 when I swapped out a set of centers.

I just noticed yesterday when getting two new rear tires mounted. I saw that on my RR wheel the center cap stuck out less than my LR wheel. I figured it was the centercaps but I remembered sitting all four next to each other and all of them are the same.

On a Corvette the thicker centers are supposed to go up front (more brake clearance). I need to swap my LR nad LF centers to fix this.

I guess bad things happen in 3s... my ac belt starts squeeling, my gauge cluster took a ****, and now this

So... keep track of the centers if you ever tear down the wheels.

I heard from John you can rebuild these yourself. Do you rebuild these without any issues?
Old 03-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Yes... it's easy. You first simply remove the schrader valve, then remove the 30 bolts and take the centers out. If you accidentally seperate the wheel halfs (I did) then you have to take the tire off, take the wheel apart, grind off the silicone sealant, then re apply and put the wheels back together.

Last edited by Cobra4B; 03-07-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

FWIW.

CCW has a series of DIY videos linked on their site in the "Tech" section....-> http://www.ccwheel.com/files/technical.php

Get notified of new replies

To If you ever tear down your CCW classics... pay attention to the sizes of the centers!

Quick Reply: If you ever tear down your CCW classics... pay attention to the sizes of the centers!