Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street tire for HPDE(Z06): BFG KD or F1SC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:57 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Street tire for HPDE(Z06): BFG KD or F1SC?

Anybody run both of these and have an opinion on which is stickier and would work better at a HPDE?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:48 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The KD has larger outside tread blocks. It would be my first choice if I was running on street tires again.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:39 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
The KD has larger outside tread blocks. It would be my first choice if I was running on street tires again.
Have you run the KD, is it sticky?

My predicament (albeit a good one) is that this Z came with longtubes, X-pipe, and airbox, so it is pumping out a little more power than stock. The 4 1/2 year old GY F1SC tires have tread but they are allowing a lot of wheel hop--even warmed, even with gradual throttle application, I can't get to the floor in first (from a ROLL now) or 2nd because the tires will start spinning in the upper rpm band.

1st I won't use on track but I want to be comfortable to use 2nd if I need to use it.

I need a street tire because I'm going to run with the beginners. I could run 275-40-17 F1SC's that are new in the rear, but that is less width than stock.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:49 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KD's are very good and much better than the F1 SC.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:27 PM
earthman01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be hard to beat the F1SC's on dry pavement. I don't understand the wheel-hop if you are running on a track and not a strip. Are you using "Competition" mode?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:33 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Anybody run both of these and have an opinion on which is stickier and would work better at a HPDE?
Nitto RIIs are great for the street and track dual use
Old 03-08-2007, 04:01 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by earthman01
It will be hard to beat the F1SC's on dry pavement. I don't understand the wheel-hop if you are running on a track and not a strip. Are you using "Competition" mode?
Yes--Comp mode--the hop happened on the street and in an asphault parking lot. Under heavy acceleration, they just won't stick, even if you are very gentle, the tires are warm, and you go from a roll, on a 70 degree day. They will stick in 3rd gear.

I would love to do the Nitto RII but the events I'm going to specify "street tires" and I don't think that would count. Maybe I should ask?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:36 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Yes--Comp mode--the hop happened on the street and in an asphault parking lot. Under heavy acceleration, they just won't stick, even if you are very gentle, the tires are warm, and you go from a roll, on a 70 degree day. They will stick in 3rd gear.

I would love to do the Nitto RII but the events I'm going to specify "street tires" and I don't think that would count. Maybe I should ask?
They are street legal, I run them because I light up street tires with my H/C car to easy and plus I don't have to swap wheels for the track.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

The Super car tires like lots of heat to make them work while the KD's will work slightly better initially. When they are both warm, they are pretty equal. That said, 4 yr old tires that have been heat cycled many times over will not handle as good as fresh rubber. That is probably what is causing the wheel hop.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:30 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Andy,
I'll email you the name of a a tire guy in Silver Spring you can ask about tires, VERY knowledgeable on tires..in addition to the good advice on Forum. Rear wheel hop...given the age and mods on the car, the rear suspension may need some attention.
Art
Old 03-09-2007, 09:26 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Have you run the KD, is it sticky?

My predicament (albeit a good one) is that this Z came with longtubes, X-pipe, and airbox, so it is pumping out a little more power than stock. The 4 1/2 year old GY F1SC tires have tread but they are allowing a lot of wheel hop--even warmed, even with gradual throttle application, I can't get to the floor in first (from a ROLL now) or 2nd because the tires will start spinning in the upper rpm band.

1st I won't use on track but I want to be comfortable to use 2nd if I need to use it.

I need a street tire because I'm going to run with the beginners. I could run 275-40-17 F1SC's that are new in the rear, but that is less width than stock.

When the KD's are new they feel like R-compounds (seat of pants). When they get warmed up they become sticky, but most tires also do this to a certain extent. They are good in rain (not great, but good) when they are full depth. When they get close to the wear bars they are pretty bad in the wet. No surprise there.

Anything would be better than 4 1/2 year old tires. I had the original GY tires on my GS and a spare set of wheels with KD's mounted for timetrials & AX. I ran a street tire class in timetrials and won enough that some of my competitors tried to change the rules to move the GS out of class. Whenever I switched tires, I was amazed how hard and slippery the GY GSC OEM tires were as compared to the KD's. I bought the GS used in 1998 & took car to Blackhawk with GY tires for first event that year. It was so scary that I bought wheels and KD's the next week.

Nitto's and Toyo's will give a little more grip, but they are really in-between a true street tire and a DOT R-compound.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Ever think of Falken Azenis RT-615?
They don't offer them in the stock sizes but they do offer 275/40/17 and 315/30/18. The tires will fit on your rims, but it may throw off the speedo a little but you'll have more tire under you.

Just a little something outside the box.

Get notified of new replies

To Street tire for HPDE(Z06): BFG KD or F1SC?

Quick Reply: Street tire for HPDE(Z06): BFG KD or F1SC?